Domaine de la Romanee-Conti is a iconic producer – and have maintained this position for many decades. They produce a relatively small selection of exceptional wines from the very best terroirs in Burgundy.
Where most other top producers make a quite limited number of bottles of each wine, DRC produce quite substantial quantities of each wine, as the own quite large plots in all the top vineyards – including the two great monopoles Romanee-Conti and La Tache.
For me the combination of large holdings in the best terroirs and the consistent high quality for many decades makes Domaine de la Romanee-Conti a truly legendary producer in Bourgogne. Other producers may have one wine that can rival the best wines of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, but no domaine can, in my view, rival the quality of the whole DRC lineup.
The wines from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
The most legendary wines from the domaine are the two monopoles Romanee-Conti and La Tache, but the next level Richebourg and Romanee-Saint-Vivant are on par with the top wines from the other top producers. The Montrachet is among the best white Wines in the world and also a legendary wine among the white Burgundies.
Seen over the last 15 years the Romanee-Saint-Vivant has improved tremendously and are now at least on par with the Richebourg, and the RSV is in my view the better wine due to it’s focus and refinement.
Grands Echezeaux and the Echezeaux offer the DRC style and very high quality, with the Grands Echezeaux at a significantly higher level. The Grands Echezeaux is more full-bodied offering more depth and refinement, but is lacking the minerality and power found in the four top terroirs.
The only slightly weak link in the lineup is in my view the Echezeaux, where other producers – Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Jean Grivot, Emmanuel Rouget and Mugneret-Gibourg makes wines of the same standard and sometimes even slightly better. This is however mainly a reflection of the difference in terroir on the Echezeaux vineyard, where the DRC plots are in some of the less mineralic climates – check my article about the Echezeaux vineyard.
The Corton from DRC (first vintage is 2009) is the new kid on the block. They are renting vineyards in three different climates on the Corton appelation – Clos du Roi, Bressandes, Ranardes – from Domaine Prince Florent de Merode. They are currently only making one cuvee of Corton from these vineyards, but this could change in future vintages. It’s still too early to evaluate the quality of the Corton – but i’m pretty sure DRC will strive for perfection even on this vineyard.
In some years they also make a 1er cru Vosne Romanee called Cuvee Duvault-Blochet, a slightly more forward and openly knit wine, but still offering DRC quality and Vosne terroir. The Duvault-Blochet is made from younger vines on the grand cru vineyards and grapes that are harvested during a second pass through the vineyards. First vintage of Duvault-Blochet (since 1934) was the 1999 vintage. If you can find the Duvault-Blochet it’s a fine introduction to the domaine style and quality – and first and foremost a beautiful drinkable wine. The Duvault-Blochet is now sold mainly to restaurants.
Finally Domaine de la Romanee-Conti makes small quantities of Batard Montrachet. This wine is not sold commercially.
The impressive lineup is quite unusual, and Domaine de la Romanee Conti and Bonneau du Martray are, to my knowledge, the only two domaines where all the wines are made from grand cru vineyards.
For a aromatic profile of some of the wines check the tasting notes for the Domaine de la Romanee Conti 2009 vintage.
Style of the wines
The style of the DRC wines is rich, intense, silky, transparent and quite light on the aromatic palate with more red than dark nuances. The use of whole clusters gives a very rich aromatic profile, and a very high complexity as the wine ages. All the wines are very reflective of the terroir, and the difference in terroir is very clear even when the wines are very young and powerful. Domaine de la Romanee-Conti normally use 100% new oak on the wines.
Stylewise only the new Corton is somewhat different, as this wine – so far – is made from destemmed grapes and with a lower percentage of new oak (around 50% in 2009).
I have followed DRC more or less since the 1990 vintage and tasted quite a lot of wines dating back to the 1957 vintage, and despite very high expectations I have rarely been disappointed. The style and quality have been consistent, but still they seem to move forward and improve as conditions and possibilities change.
For me the best vintages (have not tasted all) are 1959, 1971, 1978, 1990, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2009 and I would expect the 2010s to be great. But as mentioned the quality is consistently high, and the wines are normally quite outstanding even in lesser years.
Best wines and vintages from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
Romanee-Conti, La Tache, Romanee-Saint-Vivant, Richebourg, Montrachet
1959, 1971, 1978, 1990, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2009, 2010
|Overall Rating||A truly legendary producer|
– Extraordinary Producer
– Very Fine
Note: Beginning with the 2009 vintage, DRC only makes 750mls and magnums i.e. no more 6 liter bottles and other large formats. This change is due to the fact that most larger bottles tended to end up on the auction market, and was objects of speculation.
More information can be found on the Domaine de la Romanee Conti website.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée-Conti 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Corton 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 January 1, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Montrachet 2009 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2002 April 29, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 1990 January 26, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2004 December 2, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tâche 2011 October 10, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2011 October 1, 2014
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Batard-Montrachet 2007 November 5, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2000 October 24, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Vosne-Romanee 1er cru 2008 October 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 May 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Batard Montrachet 2000 April 11, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2004 April 1, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Conti 2011 March 23, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2011 March 22, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2007 March 4, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2001 January 8, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 July 10, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2004 July 9, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 2009 May 21, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 2009 May 20, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2009 May 17, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2009 May 17, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2009 May 16, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Corton 2009 May 15, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Vosne Romanee 1’er cru 2009 May 15, 2012
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Grands Echezeaux 2002 July 31, 2011
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2004 May 5, 2011
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 July 31, 2005
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Richebourg 1999 June 15, 2003
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 1959 April 2, 1994
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 1957 April 2, 1994
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 1978 April 2, 1994
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 1985 April 2, 1994
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 1971 April 2, 1994
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, La Tache 1990 April 2, 1994
- The white DRC from Saint-Vivant de Vergy Domaine de la Romanée-Conti is a legendary estate, and while the wines are getting tremendous acclaim throughout the world there are one or actually several relatively unknown vineyards and a rather overlooked wine in the portfolio. It is well known that Domaine de la Romanée-Conti produces an outstanding Montrachet, and even that they produce an equally ...
- Visit Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – tasting of the 2015s from cask Sitting in my car writing these tasting notes, while I’m overlooking La Tâche .. -7.5 Celsius .. but with a inner warmth of the aftertaste of Romanée-Conti 2015 .. a truly memorable moment of Burgundian beauty. Just out from a lovely tasting of the 2015s from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti with Bernard Noblet the legendary cellarmaster. ...
- Le Montrachet Six – A Historic Wine Last week it became clear that the April frost damage made it almost impossible to produce Montrachet for several owners on the Chassagne side of Montrachet – Le Montrachet. The April frost had reduced the yields by more than 90%, and therefore reduced size of the individual cuvées considerably. In some cases the size of harvest ...
- One Montrachet from six Domaines Due to the low yields caused by frost damage in April there will be no 2016 Montrachet from six owners of Montrachet. They will instead make one cuvée together – two casks equivalent to 600 bottles. It’s the estates Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Comte Lafon, Domaine Leflaive, Guy Amiot, Lamy Pillot an Domaine Fleurot – who ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Montrachet The most iconic white wine from Burgundy is the Montrachet from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti. The combination of the most prestigious estate and the finest white wine terroir in the world is a quite unique combination. DRC only produced red wine until they acquired the first plot on Montrachet in 1963. Lets take a closer look at ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Richebourg The mighty Richebourg from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti is one of the top wines of Burgundy allthough it’s only number four or five in the impressive DRC lineup. While both Romanee Saint-Vivant and La Tâche have entered the DRC holdings within the last century, the DRC holdings in Richebourg dates even longer back in the Burgundian ...
- Terroir insight – DRC Grands-Echezeaux The Grands-Echezeaux is somehow the slightly overlooked wine in the Domaine de la Romanee-Conti lineup. It is however a magnificent wine in its own right, but is of course somewhat overshadowed by the four top reds – Richebourg, Romanee Saint-Vivant, La Tâche and Romanee-Conti. In this article I will take a closer look at the DRC ...
- La Tâche – a historic view on a legendary grand cru La Tâche is a legendary grand cru with a quite interesting history. It has always been a monopole – but nevertheless the monopole status have been challenged and the vineyard expanded quite dramatically within the last 100 years. The history of La Tâche involves some of the most prominent domaines in Vosne, the neighburing Les Gaudichots ...