Normally I keep my Laguiole away from the 2005 reds, and have only opened a few 2005 wines in the last couple of years. The vintage demands and deserves respect – they are big, they are very concentrated – but still well balanced and terroir driven.
Initially the concentration was almost overwhelming, and not very typical for red Burgundy, but recent tastings show more Burgundy like dimensions of the vintage. The Liger-Belair 2005 range was very impressive last summer – so why not try another bottle of 2005 – Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee.
The Vosne village 05 from Meo is showing quite well, but is quite dense and rather undevelloped. In the bouquet liqourice, cassis, dark cherries and a good minerality. On the palate layers of dense but very juicy fruit. It’s concentrated but not extracted, it’s powerfull but with some refined elements. It’s actually drinking well, but only showing a small proportion of the potential. It confirms the qualities of the vintage, but also the need for long cellaring. In my view this wine needs at least 10 years more in the celler to show mature notes, and will keep even longer!
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Boudots 2010 December 15, 2017
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Echezeaux 2013 June 11, 2017
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot 2008 June 10, 2017
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne-Romanee Aux Brulee 2002 September 11, 2016
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne-Romanee Aux Brulee 2007 February 20, 2016
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot 2008 August 22, 2015
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne-Romanee Aux Brulees 2008 June 14, 2015
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Richebourg 2006 October 3, 2014
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne-Romanee Aux Brulees 2003 September 27, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Les Chaumes 1996 August 29, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee 2008 July 2, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Boudots 2002 May 17, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Echezeaux 2011 May 12, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Aux Brulees 2011 May 11, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Echezeaux 2002 January 5, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Aux Brulees 2004 January 2, 2013
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot 2007 October 23, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Aux Brulees 2004 August 2, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee 2005 July 3, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot 2004 June 18, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee 2006 April 6, 2012
- Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot 2003 April 5, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot Pres Le Cellier 2009 February 21, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee 2009 January 12, 2012
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee 2007 November 22, 2011
- Meo Camuzet, Nuit Saint Georges Aux Boudots 2002 October 11, 2011
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Vosne Romanee 2008 September 10, 2011
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet, Clos de Vougeot 2002 September 3, 2011
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet Clos de Vougeot 1996 July 5, 2011
- Domaine Meo-Camuzet Clos de Vougeot 2004 July 1, 2011
- Domaine Méo-Camuzet … tasting a few 2016s I had the pleasure of tasting a few of the Méo-Camuzet 2016s during the Grand Jours de Bourgogne. Jean-Nicolas Méo was as usual showing a range of his wines at the big Grands Jours de Bourgogne tasting at Clos de Vougeot. A rather intense tasting at the Chateau – with many people. I did however have a ...
- Dégustation Prestige – Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru This year Grand Jours de Bourgogne included a Dégustation Prestige of Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru … as it did two years ago. It’s a tasting of around 20 wines from the Clos de Vougeot vineyard – this year with the oldest being a 1989 from Domaine Joseph Drouhin and the youngest being a 2008 from ...
- Twilight Zone – Nuits-Saint-Georges Au Bas de Combe There are a lot of interesting terroirs in the Vosne-Romanee appellation itself and in the twilight zone between Nuits-Saint-Georges and Vosne-Romanee. This area is somewhat overlooked, but as the new generations of vignerons take on these terroirs, there are very fine wines to find from these vineyards. In the first article I covered Aux Réas and in ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Meo-Camuzet Aux Brulées The Vosne-Romanee Aux Brulées is one of my favorite wines form Domaine Meo-Camuzet. I recently tasted the 2007 and it was still youthful but just so delicate, defined and delisious … So this inspired me to take a closer look at Aux Brulées starting with the Meo-Camuzet plots. So let’s go to the northern end of Vosne-Romanee. Brulees ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Méo-Camuzet, Richebourg One of the top wines from the Richebourg vineyard is produced by Domaine Méo-Camuzet, a longtime owner on Richebourg but a relatively “new” producer by Burgundy standards. A wine with a special history, a wine worthy of a Terroir Insight … so let go to Richebourg. The Méo-Camuzet plots on Richeborg The Méo-Camuzet Richebourg is made from two ...
- Cros Parantoux – the sweet spot of Richebourg Vosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux is a mythical vineyard … with a reputation created by the legendary Henri Jayer. With a location just above and next to Richebourg this 1er cru is regarded as something very special. But the story of Cros Parantoux doesn’t start with Henri Jayer, the vineyard was known much earlier. So lets take a ...
- Echezeaux – Grand cru standard? Echézeaux is one of the largest grands crus of the whole Côte d’Or. It’s divided into a number of plots or climats the vineyard, located around the smaller Grands-Echézeaux. I have tasted some very good bottles of Echezeaux, but also some very poor bottles where only the label was an indication of its grand cru status. ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...