The Domaine Ponsot Clos de la Roche 1996 has never been a favorite of the wine press. I allways felt that the wine was somewhat misunderstood, as are many 1996 wines. I have tasted this wine several times over the years, starting out at Domaine Ponsot in 1999, and while it is not the best Clos de la Roche produced from this estate – it’s a both complex and enjoyable wine.
The nose is now offering a lovely complexity .. sous-bois, leather, red forest berries – a classic Clos de la Roche with it’s deep earthy minerality. On the palate medium weight, still some unresolved tannins, offering good length and balance. The fruit is cool focused by a fine racy acidity. Love the nose now … but would give it 5 more years to unfold the palate.
Buy this wine - stores and prices
Lastest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1993 February 15, 2016
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin 1998 November 2, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Chapelle Chambertin 1998 November 2, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1998 October 31, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2003 October 30, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1996 October 28, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Gevrey-Chambertin Cuvee l’Abeille 2007 March 30, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2012 March 10, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte-Chambertin 1999 February 15, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1999 February 14, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Gevrey-Chambertin Cuvee l’Abeille 2001 December 3, 2014
- Domaine Ponsot, Morey Les Alouettes 2011 March 10, 2014
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2011 February 27, 2014
- Domaine Ponsot, Chambolle Les Charmes 1999 August 25, 2013
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche Vieilles Vignes 2000 April 2, 2013
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot Vieilles Vignes 2010 March 1, 2013
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin 2002 October 18, 2012
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1993 March 19, 2012
- Sips and Samples – week 43 – 2011 October 28, 2011
- Domaine Ponsot Morey Saint Denis Cuvee des Alouettes 1999 July 5, 2011
- What we know: Laurent Ponsot to leave Domaine Ponsot I’m an old and rather sentimental guy at times … and the Ponsot news was a deep cut in my Bungundy roots. The first Grand Cru Burgundies I bought were two bottles of Clos de la Roche 1988 from Domaine Ponsot and some of the next were two bottles of Griottes-Chambertin 1990. This was more ...
- Breaking News – Laurent Ponsot to leave Domaine Ponsot It seems like Laurent Ponsot is going to leave the family business Domaine Ponsot – and start his own estate together with his son. Photo: Domaine Ponsot Update to article The development of this story does not currently provide a stable or consistent picture of the future situation. The latest interviw with Laurent Ponsot can be ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine des Chezeaux Griotte-Chambertin Domaine des Chezeaux is the largest owner of Griotte-Chambertin. They own two sections in total 1.57 ha equivalent to 60% of this small but lovely Grand Cru. The two sections are currently leased to Domaine Ponsot and Domaine Rene Leclerc, who has entered into a metayage agreement where Domaine des Chezeaux get a part of the ...