I’m really not a big fan of the 1998 vintage in Champagne, as the normally lacks freshness and balance and are on the sweet and heavy side. Krug has done a fantastic job with the 1998 vintage, and it’s without usual heavy notes and sweet tone. Krug offers a strong backbone with a good acidity structure, great length and complexity, a dense and masculine champagne. Not on par with the more nervy and fresh Vintage 1990 and 1988, but may very well be on the same level as 1995. Outstanding effort.
(2017 – 2027) 95p
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Krug, Vintage 2000 September 17, 2012
- Krug, Grande Cuvee September 16, 2012
- Krug, Vintage 1998 September 15, 2012
- Krug, Vintage 1979 October 15, 2011
- Krug, Vintage 1998 August 12, 2011
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...