Bouchard Pere et Fils did very well in the 2014 vintage … the reds are a big step forward quality wise, and the whites are even better … and as expected magnificent.
I’m a big fan of the Bouchard whites, as they represent purity and refinement … rather than the big ripe and oaky style offered by some other producers.
There are quite many fine producers of white Burgundies but few … if any … can match the vineyard portfolio owned by Bouchard Pere et Fils. So a treat to taste the 2014 whites at the Masterclass held in Beaune during the Hospices de Beaune weekend.
The tasting offered 8 whites from the large Bouchard selection – and 8 red 2014 – see the tasting notes for the reds here.
The Bouchard Pere et Fils 2014s
The 2014 vintage mark a change for Bouchard Pere et Fils, as this is the first vintage made by the new winemaker Frédéric Weber.
The previous winemaker Philippe Prost is still with Bouchard but now as technical director – supporting Frédéric Weber with his huge knowledge about the Bouchard estate and vineyards. It should be noted that Frédéric Weber has been with Bouchard since 2003 working under the guidance of Philippe Prost – as assistant winemaker.
The 2014 whites from Bouchard Pere et Fils
The 2014 whites from Bouchard are very pure, delicate and refined … the kind of white Burgundies I really love. The 2014 vintage is very elegant with a cool and refined expression of the terroir .. and these qualities are fully expressed by the competent team at Bouchard.
The 2014 offer a perfect balance between refinement and power, between ripeness and freshness and the transparency and energy is quite unique as is the purity.
While the 2014s are lacking the power of the 2010 they offer more purity in my view … but it should in my view not be a question of either or .. but preferably a both please.
Summing up the Bouchard 2014 whites .. I really salute the Bourchard teams respect for the qualities of the fine 2014 vintage and the way they have expressed the lovely pure, energetic and vibrant fruit. I’m both impressed and delighted.
Tasting notes – Bouchard Pere et Fils white 2014s
To the notes …
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Les Clous 2014
The village vineyard Les Clous is located high on the sloape in Meursault between Les Tillets and Les Vireuils … above the village. The nose is quite aromatic and expressive with predominantly white fruit .. pear and white peach – slightly reductive currently. On the palate lovely cool and energetic fruit. A bit closed in the beginning but unfolds after 15 min in the glass. A very good generic Meursault.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune du Chateau 2014
The Beaune du Chateau is a step up in quality from Les Clous. It’s a blend of four 1er cru Beaune vineyards .. Aigrots, Tuvilains, Sizies and Sur Les Grevés. The nose offer a lovely mixture of cool white fruits, brought forward by a slightly earthy minerality. On the palate fine weight and depth – rich but still energetic and focused. Love the juicy midpalate fruit and the fine balance.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune Clos Saint Landry 2014
The Beaune Saint Landry is quite a step up in quality and focus. The monopole vineyard is located above and just south of Beaune. The bouquet offer cool variations of white and yellow fruits .. fresh and quite filigree. On The palate rich yet airy fruit … very refined and delicate for a white beaune. Love the elegant and slightly creamy yet fresh fruit … a wine for hedonistic enjoyment. Cheers.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Genevrieres 2014
The Meursault Genevrieres is a classic … and a further notch up the quality ladder. It’s made from a plot located in the middle upper part (Dessus) of Genevrieres – Bouchard Pere et Fils is the largest owner on Genevrieres with a 2,65 ha plot. The bouquet is vibrant and energetic with a fine stony minerality. On the palate delicate mineral driven fruit .. it’s pure, focused and energetic. A very fine Genevrieres … impressive effort.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Perrieres 2014
Bouchard Pere et Fils has a 0.75 ha plot located in the southern end of Meausault Perrieres. The 2014 Meursault Perrieres is currently slightly more backward than the Genevrieres … and the fruit is deeper and darker offering a more compact minerality. On the palate weighty and more serious with a intense and deep fruit .. it’s long, pure and vibrant. A very fine Perrieres indeed.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Corton Charlemagne 2014
The Corton Charlemagne is showing true Grand Cru level .. adding both refinement and depth. The bouquet is slightly backward offering white fruit and a stony minerality. On the palate airy and vibrant fruit .. intense and refined minerality … long, intense and multidimensional. A beautiful Charlie in te making.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chevalier-Montrachet 2014
Bouchard Pere et Fils is the largest owner on Chevalier-Montrachet – and they produce two cuvees .. this “regular” bottling and the top cuvee La Cabotte made from the plot located just above the Bouchard plot on Montrachet. While La Cabotte is the top dog … there is nothing regular about this cuvee. In the bouquet gorgeous citrus infused white fruit brought forward by a powerful yet filigree minerality. On the palate very long and intense .. but still very focused and lightfooted (in the best possible way). A very elegant and focused Chevalier … hard to believe that La Cabotte could be better … but most likely it is.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Montrachet 2014
The Montrachet 2014 from Bouchard is one of the very best whites I have tasted … a both mighty and refined Montrachet offering all the beautiful qualities of the 2014 vintage. It’s made from a plot on the Puligny side of Montrachet vineyard … just on the border to the Chassagne appellation. The bouquet is slightly introvert with a nuanced and delicate predominatly white fruit, tremendous depth, with a filigree and very intense minerality lurking beneath the fruit. On the palate weighty yet refined … reflecting the Puligny side … offering magnificent depth and length. A mighty but also delicate Montrachet with perfect balance and purity. Extraordinary in the true sense of the word.
Latest tasting Notes for this producer
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chevalier Montrachet 2017 April 25, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Genevrieres 2016 July 8, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Perrieres 2016 July 7, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune St. Landry 2016 July 7, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Montrachet 2016 June 20, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Bonnes Mares 2016 June 19, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chambertin Clos de Beze 2016 June 18, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Montrachet 2014 June 15, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Le Corton 1990 June 14, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Corton Charlemagne 1990 June 14, 2018
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses The Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the most prominent wines from this refined and sensual vineyard. I have therefore taken a closer look at the Vogüé Les Amoureuses … as most by now know that Les Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the delights of Burgundy … filigree, cool ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017s from cask Time to taste the Vogüé wines from cask – after completed malo – all ready to taste .. and what a delightful surprise. So are they that good … indeed – the 2017 are showing just beautifully. The 2017s at Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé The 2017 vintage at Vogüé comes after the frosted 2016 vintage, and is ...
- Visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of the 2016s Vogüé time .. tasting of the 2016s from bottle in Copenhagen + a few extra wines to add even more pleasure to the day. As usual Jean-Luc Pepin is in Copenhagen for this early premier of the vintage .. what a treat. Depressing quantities but magnificent quality Just a recap .. Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé lost ...
- Traditions makes history .. the essence of Burgundy .. Vogüé Sometimes it’s important to step back from the stressed everyday life, and appreciate, enjoy and be grateful. The annual Vogüé week as we can call this event – or rather series of events – has come to define the Burgundy year in Denmark, and with that a important part of the Burgundian tradition in Denmark. The tradition ...
- Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017 before and under malo I have the privilege of tasting wines from Comte Georges de Vogüé both before and after the malolatic fermentation and furthermore also after bottling in Denmark the year after. This process is very interesting and educational, as this does show a lot regarding the development of the wines from cask. In some year the wines are ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares – update Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé is one of the most prominent estates in Burgundy, and the Musigny Vieilles Vignes is one of the most legendary wines produced in the region. While de Vogüé also is the largest owner of Bonnes Mares this wine seems strangely overlooked, although it’s in my view is one of the very ...
- Visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of the 2016s from cask On my October trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to retaste the 2016s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – to confirm the impressions I had when tasting the wines before malo in March 2017. Vogüé are benchmark wines for me, as I have tasted most recent vintages from either cask or bottle – or ...
- First round of visits October 2017 The October trip is a shorter stop before the main round of tastings in start November 2017. I do have some exiting new names on the program here in October alongside some of my favorites I have visited before. First out – Domaine de la Cras – an estate located just outside Dijon – on the Côte ...