Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the very top domaines in Burgundy, and the 2011 vintage seem to consolidate this position.
I tasted all the 2011 wines from cask at the domaine in early May 2012. The tasting showed that Liger-Belair have made very fine wines in 2011, and will in my view, judged on this early stage, outperform most other producers in this vintage.
In general all the 2011 wines from Liger Belair are very balanced with a fine delicate pinot fruit, a good freshness and acidity to match the fruit. The fruit is at the moment quite complex and nervy, with a good energy. The wines are quite transparent with a very good expression of the terroir.
The 2011 vintage can’t match the outstanding 2010’s from this domaine, but they are indeed very fine and will provide a lot of pleasure for those who love terroir driven red Burgundy.
Notes from tasting May 4th 2012
Vosne Romanee 2011
The Vosne Romanee village is the first wine in the Liger-Belair lineup. In the nose red and dark berries, and a quite good complexity. On the palate good concentration, but not the same minerality as Colombiere and Clos du Chateau, but still quite finely balanced and fresh. A very good wine.
Very Good (87 – 88p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2011
The Colombiere is a step up from the ordinary village wine. In the nose fine berry aromas, cherries, raspberries with a hint of allspice and violets. On the palate lovely fruit and minerality, but in this year not able to match Clos du Chateau.
Very Good+ (88 – 90p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2011
The Clos du Chateau 2011 is a real beauty. In the bouquet fine fruit notes – cherries, raspberries and strawberries, finely spiced with hints of peony rose and allspice. On the palate more vibrant and fresh, with fine delicate acidity and a beautilful mineral note. It’s very refined and seem more transparant and balanced than the other village wines. Very elegant and delicate. Love this wine!
Fine (90 – 92p) CASK
Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Lavieres 2011
The Lavieres is a very fruity and charming effort in 2011. In the nose fine slightly darker fruit aromas – black cherries and raspberries. On the palate more lush fruit, very elegant and charming. It’s a lovely wine, but not quite able to match the two Vosne lieu dit’s.
Very Good (88 – 89p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Chaumes 2011
The Chaumes is getting better year after year, and the use of 15% whole clusters gives a more structured and balanced wine. The nose in the 2011 is at this stage quite complex, whith red berries and spicy notes – peony rose and a slight hint of violets and allspice. A little more body and weight than the Clos du Chateau, but less minerality. In my view Clos du Chateau is the more refined wine in 2011, but get the Chaumes if you wan’t the extra weight and depth.
Very Good+ (89 – 91p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Les Suchots 2011
Les Suchots is not my favorit wine from Liger-Belair – but the 2011 version is quite charming. In the bouquet a quite delicate collection of red and darker berries, with the oak slightly more present. On the palate good focus, a deep fruit and a fine balance. The 15% whole clusters have shaped the wine, and the delicate fruit aromas of the 2011 vintage also suits the terroir.
Fine (91 – 93p) CASK
Nuit-Saint-Georges Les Cras 2011
The Nuits Saint Georges Les Cras is a slightly overlooked wine from Liger-Belair. Les Crass 2011 is a very nice effort – with loads of pure nuanced fruit. The bouquet is showing beautiful red and darker fruit aromas – refined and charming. On the palate a quite focused wine with a wonderful mineral note. I normally prefer the Vosne Romanee wines, but this is really a fine wine.
Fine (92 – 93p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Les Brulees 2011
The Brulees 2011 is a very rare wine to taste. Liger-Belair only makes one cask from the 0,1157ha and the wine is not sold on the market – unfortunately. Les Brulees is at the moment slightly closed, with some reduction in the nose. The nose is nevertheless showing fine complex red fruit aromas, and spicy notes + peony rose. On the palate it offers a wonderful minerality, quite tightly knit and very elegant.
Very Fine (92 – 94p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Les Petit Monts 2011
The Vosne Les Petit Monts is always a very charming wine – and the 2011 is no exception. In the bouquet loads of refined jelly fruit aromas and notes of pommegranate, allspice and peony rose. On the palate lovely lush fruit balanced by a refined minarality and a quite fresh acidity. Very elegant, with a lot of finesse.
Very Fine (92 – 94p) CASK
Vosne Romanee Aux Reignots 2011
Aux Reignots is normally a quite muscular, mineralic and powerfull wine. The 2011 vintage has however added new dimensions to the Aux Reignot. In the bouquet very refined sweet fruit notes – strawberries and forrest berries – combined with the wonderful minerality from the terroir. On the palate layers of fruit, very good balance and structure from the strong mineralic backbone. A very charming and refined Aux Reignot – Very Fine or perhaps even Outstanding.
Very Fine+ (93-95p) CASK
The Echezeaux is getting better and better as Louis-Michel Liger-Belair gets the vineyards in shape. Made from old vines in the very good parcels Cruots and Champs Traversin. The nose is slightly closed at the moment, but showing layers of complex fruit aromas and minerality – notes of cherries, strawberries, violets and peppar. On the palate layers of fruit and mineralic aromas, powerful and yet refined. Truly a grand cru effort with finesse and length.
Outstanding (94 – 95p) CASK
La Romanee 2011
La Romanee 2011 is a very intense wine. In the bouquet very intense fruit aromas, with notes of strawberries, cherries, violets and peony rose. On the palate layers of lush and intense fruit balanced by the excellent structure and minerality. The intensity of this wine is at another level than most other Grand Cru, but still it’s refined, elegant and balanced. Exceptional length (from Vosne to Beune) a truly extraordinary wine.
Extraordinary (96 – 98p) CASK
2011 compared to the 2010 vintage
The ratings of the 2011 vintage might look quite similar to the ratings of the 2010 vintage – tasted from cask in July 2011.
In reality the 2010 vintage will be at the very top of the points range indicated after the first tasting from cask, and some wines will perhaps be rated even higher when they are settled on bottle.
While the 2011 Liger-Belair wines are charming and very fine, the 2010 vintage is in my view clearly the better vintage.
Last but not least, the wines have been tasted on a quite early stage, and the development in cask and bottling can change quite a lot. I’m however confindent that these wines are very fine, and will provide a lot of pleasure for the fortunate Burgundy lovers.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Hospices de Beaune, Echezeaux Cuvee Jean-Luc Bissey 2013 June 28, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 June 25, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 June 24, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes Blanc 2014 March 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Petit Monts 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuit-Saint-Georges Les Cras 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Suchots 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Aux Reignots 2009 January 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2008 November 26, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2013 November 7, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2009 August 12, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2007 August 3, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2006 August 2, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2005 July 30, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2004 July 26, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2003 July 26, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2002 July 25, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2001 July 21, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2000 July 20, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 July 11, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2008 July 4, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 July 2, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2009 June 28, 2015
- More impressions of the 2015 vintage On my third day of visits in Burgundy I had four tasings … Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Domaine Hereztyn-Mazzini, Albert Bichot and lastly Domaine Nicolas Faure. The visits confirmed the high quality of the 2015 vintage, but also some indications of the challenges for those who harvested later. The tastings also show that some individual wines ...
- Terroir Insight: Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Château Clos du Château is sort of a signature wine for Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. A very expressive Vosne Village made from a vineyard that used to be a part of the park around Château Vosne-Romanee. It’s a magnificent village … one of the very best in my view … often offering a forward and charming expression ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Aux Cras One of my favorite wines from the Nuits-Saint-Georges is the Aux Cras made by Louis-Michel Liger-Belair. It has all the qualities I look for in a Burgundian wine – it’s very enjoyable, it’s pure and transparent and first and foremost it offers a lovely expression of the “almost” Vosne terroir. Aux Cras or Les Cras was somewhat ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Aux Brulées Aux Brulées is pretty fragmented and the production of some of the fine wines made from this lovely 1er cru is sadly very limited indeed. One of the rarest birds is the Aux Brulées from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Firstly the production is very limited, secondly and more importantly the wine is not sold commercially. It’s nevertheless ...
- Tasting of the 2014s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair On my November 2015 trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to taste the 2014s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. As usual I entered the gate to Chateau Vosne-Romanee with high expectations and was greeted by a cheerful Louis-Michel Liger-Belair and his very large but lovely dog Arak. Constance and Louis-Michel Liger-Belair The scene was set to ...
- Impressions Bizot, Liger-Belair and Cathiard 2014 Monday offered tastings of the 2014 vintage from three of my favorite Vosne-Romanee producers – Domaine Bizot, Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair and Domaine Cathiard. The tastings confirmed the loverly drinkability of the 2014s … the quality is high and this vintage should not be forgotten in the midst of the 2015 hype. Domaine Bizot My first visit here ...
- A new grand cru from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair The 2015 harvest offered surprising and interesting news from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair as it was revealed that a Clos de Vougeot was added to the Liger-Belair lineup in 2015. Photo by Constance Liger-Belair So what do we know about the Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Clos de Vougeot so far? Facts about the Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Clos ...
- The Essence of La Romanee The celebration of the 200 years anniversary of the Liger-Belair family in Burgundy offered the opportunity to taste 12 vintages of La Romanee from 2002 to 2013. This is a rare treat indeed, and it gave me the chance to explore this magnificent terroir in depth – to find the esssence of La Romanee if you ...
- 200 years, 72 bottles of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair A magnificent tasting today with 72 bottles of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair celebrating the 200 years anniversary of the Liger-Belair family in Burgundy. And what a celebration of great wines … overwhelming is the first word that comes to mind when you taste so many brilliant wines. The wines came from all the vintages made by Louis-Michel ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Les Petits Monts Louis-Michel Liger-Belair is in my view producing one of the very best wines from the somewhat overlooked Vosne-Romanee Les Petits Monts. First vintage was 2006 starting out at a fine level with quality improving year after year arriving at a truly delightful level from 2010 and onwards. A very sexy and delicate wine … worth exploring. ...
- Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots – a fragmented delight The Aux Reignots is in my view one of the most interesting 1er crus of Cote de Nuits – its perhaps not quite in the same popularity league as Vosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux, Aux Malconsorts or Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses, but the focus on this terroir has increased dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Louis-Michel ...
- Visit – Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2013 from cask On my November 2014 trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to taste the 2013s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Expectations were high after tasting some very fine 2013s at other Domaines .. needless to say – I was not disappointed – the 2013s from Liger-Belair are very fine indeed. Tasting of the 2013s from Domaine ...
- Burgundy November 2014 – Day Three Third day in Burgundy … four visits .. Domaine Dublere, Domaine Cathiard, Domaine Robert Sirugue and last but not least Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Domaine Dublere A very fine visit with owner and winemaker extraordinaire Blair Pethel. The 2013s from Dublere are very well made and delightful all the way from the Bourgogne Blanc to the Volnay ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux Louis-Michel Liger-Belair is in my view producing one of the very best wines from the large and very diverse Echezeaux vineyard. First vintage was 2006 and quality improving year after year arriving at a truly outstanding level from 2010 and onwards. A very interesting wine in many ways … so lets take a closer look at the ...
- La Tâche – a historic view on a legendary grand cru La Tâche is a legendary grand cru with a quite interesting history. It has always been a monopole – but nevertheless the monopole status have been challenged and the vineyard expanded quite dramatically within the last 100 years. The history of La Tâche involves some of the most prominent domaines in Vosne, the neighburing Les Gaudichots ...
- In the glass – 2011 vs 2012 red Burgundy I was very impressed and delighted when I tasted the 2012 reds from cask, and recent tastings of the first 2012s from bottle more than confirm the very positive first impressions. This week we had a modest and relaxed lunch at Restaurant Enomania in Copenhagen, and we had a few top end 2011s and some ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2012 from cask On my September trip to Burgundy I had he opportunity to taste the 2012s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. I tasted some of the wines already in March 2013 – and they showed great promise – so I was very exited to taste the whole range. Needless to say – I was not disappointed – the ...
- Visit at Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – March 2013 This year I had the opportunity to taste some 2011s and 2012 from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair at a tasting the day after the Trilogie en Cote de Nuits. The tasting program comprised of some of the 2011s not presented at the Trilogie, and some of the 2012 wines – including the white from the new ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2002 – 2009 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the rising stars of Burgundy, and after 10 years of production one of the very top domaines in Vosne Romanee. Louis-Michel Liger-Belair took over in 2000 and has gradually expanded the domaine and the portfolio of wines during the past 10 years. I have followed ...
- One year with the WineHog Time really flies … and it’s now exactly one year since I launched WineHog.org in Juliy 2011. During this year I realized that blogging about fine wine is quite a lot of hard work, but fortunately also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I have tasted a lot of good wines during the first year, ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2011 from cask Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the very top domaines in Burgundy, and the 2011 vintage seem to consolidate this position. I tasted all the 2011 wines from cask at the domaine in early May 2012. The tasting showed that Liger-Belair have made very fine wines in 2011, and will in my view, judged ...
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne – Vosne Romanee 2010 vintage The main tasting at this years Grand Jours de Bourgogne was the Vosne Romanee tasting. The tasting was held at Chateau Clos de Vougeot on March 20th – 2012 Most of the leading producers of Vosne Romanee, Echezeau, Grands Echezeaux and Clos de Vougeot attended this event. While the tastings of Morey, Chambolle, Nuit-Saint-Georges were fine, ...
- Village wines blended or single vineyard It seems like a growing number of producers in Burgundy are producing single vineyard village wines, thus changing the tradition of blending the village wines in to one cuvee. For some producers it’s an old tradition, but for others it’s a new approach. But is single vineyard village wines a good idea, or just another ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2010 from cask Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the rising stars of Burgundy, and after only 10 years one of the top domaines in the region. We tasted all the 2010 wines from cask at the domaine in July 2011. The tasting showed that Liger-Belair have made excellent wines in 2010, and will no doubt outperform ...
- Echezeaux – Grand cru standard? Echézeaux is one of the largest grands crus of the whole Côte d’Or. It’s divided into a number of plots or climats the vineyard, located around the smaller Grands-Echézeaux. I have tasted some very good bottles of Echezeaux, but also some very poor bottles where only the label was an indication of its grand cru status. ...