Philippe Pacalet is, as mentioned before, one of my favorite winemakers in Burgundy. I love the style of the wines, the drinkability, the lightness, the purity, the delicate expression of pinot fruit and the terroir.
The 2010 vintage was a big succes for Pacalet, the quality was very high, and the transparancy of some of the reds were almost second to none. The 2011s were also very fine for the vintage, and I was therefore eager to visit Philippe and taste his 2012s.
It was quite a big tasting with more than 20 wines, and in this article I will only cover the red grand cru wines. The village wines and the red 1er crus were covered in two earlier article – Tasting of Pacalet village 2012 – Tasting of Pacalet 1er cru 2012 – and the whites will follow shortly in a separate article. So off to the Grand Crus!
Notes from tasting March 19th 2013 – Red 1er crus
The wines were all very accessible and charming and they showed deep and nuanced pinot aromas already at this early stage.
The fruit in the 2012 Pacalet grand crus is multi layered and juicy, with a very fine expression of the terroir. The wines are very transparent, with a lovely nerve and energy. The wines have more weight and body than the 2011s but are nevertheless very refined and somehow still lightfooted and classic in style. The acidity is quite fresh and with a good nerve – very promising indeed.
Charmes Chambertin 2012
The Pacalet Charmes 2012 is both a intense and charming wine in the making. The bouquet is bursting with nuances of enegetic red berry fruit – spiced with allspice and cinnamon. On the palate layers of delicate and intense red berry fruit with elements of sweet red coulis fruit. It’s balanced and refined – it’s quite dense for a Pacalet wine – but still fresh and vibrant. The fine display of terroir in the long finish offer adds focus and nerve. A truly beautiful Charmes.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Fine (93 -95p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 from CASK
The Echezeaux 2012 from Pacalet is another succes in this vintage. The bouquet offer lovely quite expressive organic red berry fruit – with lovely spicy notes of violets, white peppar and peony rose. On the palate layers of quite dense and focused red fruit – with a slightly darker expression than the two Gevrey grand crus. It’s balanced, focused and quite tightly knit – with a fine freshness and minerality. A fine Echezeaux in the making – is it matching the beautiful 2010?
(Drink from 2024) – Very Fine (93 – 94p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 from CASK
Ruchotte Chambertin 2012
The Ruchotte Chambertin 2012 is a true beauty. The bouquet is currently slightly closed but still offer layers of lovely organic red berry fruit and a quite stunning display of minerality and terroir. On the palete very intense red berry fruit – multible layers of juicy fruit. The minerality and complexity is very inmpressive adding a wonderful energy and nerve to this wine. It’s rich, refined and charming – love this terroir.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Fine+ (94 – 95p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 from CASK
2012 compared to the 2010 and 2011 vintages
Philippe Pacalet has produced very fine wines in both 2010 and 2011. In my view both vintages really suits the domaine style, as the quite transparant style of the vintages is a perfect match for the organic low SO2style of the domaine. The 2012s have much more weigth and fruit concentration than the 2011s – but somehow the transparancy and energetic style is maintained dispite the more dense fruit.
The 2012s are very different from the 2011 vintage – and in my view the 2012s are a full step up in quality from the otherwise fine 2011s – and they could perhaps even rival the fantastic 2010s from this domaine. The Ruchotte Chambertin 2012 is certainly one of the best Pacalet wines I have tasted.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Philippe Pacalet, Puligny Montrachet 2013 January 16, 2015
- Philippe Pacalet, Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2013 November 13, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru 2009 September 17, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey Chambertin, Laveaux St. Jacques 2013 September 13, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey Chambertin, Bel Air 2013 September 11, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Vosne Romanee, Les Chaumes 2013 September 9, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2013 September 5, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Nuits-Saint-George 1er cru 2013 September 4, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Pommard 2013 August 19, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2013 August 16, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle-Musigny 2013 August 15, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Vosne-Romanee 2013 August 13, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey-Chambertin 2013 August 12, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle-Musigny 2012 August 10, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Charmes Chambertin 2013 August 5, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Ruchottes-Chambertin 2013 August 2, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2013 July 31, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey Chambertin 2012 July 26, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaux St. Jacques 2012 July 20, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2012 July 19, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Chambolle Musigny 2012 June 18, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey-Chambertin Bel-Air 2012 June 12, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Puligny-Montrachet 2012 June 11, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2012 June 7, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Aligote 2012 February 20, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2011 February 19, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Bourgogne Vieilles Vignes 2012 January 17, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er cru 2008 November 21, 2013
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey-Chambertin Bel-Air 2010 November 20, 2013
- Philippe Pacalet, Gevrey Chambertin 2010 November 19, 2013
- Tasting of Philippe Pacalet 2013 from cask – red 1er crus The first impressions I get from the new vintage is often a extensive tasting at Maison Philippe Pacalet. The wines from Pacalet is perfect for this purpose as the finish malolactic fermentation very early and even more important they have a very pure and clear expression of the vintage and the terroir I really love the ...
- Tasting of Philippe Pacalet 2013 from cask – village wines The first impressions I get from the new vintage is often a extensive tasting at Philippe Pacalet. The wines from Pacalet is perfect for this purpose as the finish malolactic fermentation very early and even more important they have a very pure and clear expression of the vintage and the terroir I really love the style ...
- Riedel vs Zalto – Burgundy stemware battle – round 1 First round of the Burgundy stemware battle between Riedel Vinum, Pinot Noir and the challenger Zalto Burgundy 22/1/2014 – 20:15 CET – Root Day Wine: Philippe Pacalet,Chambolle Musigny 2011 Bouquet: Riedel Vinum, Pinot Noir … rather deep red berry fruit notes of raspberries, plum and strawberries … slightly stewed and showing a slight reduction. Nice earthy minrality in the ...
- Philippe Pacalet – ageing potential of low SO2 wines Natural wines are very popular in Denmark, and the use of SO2 in the vinification have become very controversial among certain groups of winos. In my view this hysteria have given us a lot of very poor so called natural wines – many of them are heavily oxidized and almost undrinkable. Some Sommeliers sadly seem ...