On my November 2015 trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to taste the 2014s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair.
As usual I entered the gate to Chateau Vosne-Romanee with high expectations and was greeted by a cheerful Louis-Michel Liger-Belair and his very large but lovely dog Arak.
The scene was set to taste a row of deligthful wines from Vosne-Romanee and Nuits-Saint-Georges.
This year I had the pleasure of tasting the wines with a group of US collectors from the Chevalier du Tastevin – always lovely to meet fellow Burgundy aficionados – a fine afternoon in Vosne.
Tasting of the 2014s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair
The overall impression of the 2014s reds from Liger-Belair is very positive indeed.
The wines are delicate and refined with a nice intensity – without being weighty or dense. Beautiful balance and transparency focused by a nice energetic acidity.
While the 2014s lack the power of the 2010s they share the refinement and juiciness and are perhaps even more delicate … bottom line my kind of Burgundies and very enjoyable wines.
Tasting notes for the Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2014s
The tasting included the most of the lineup including the two recent additions to the range – Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes white and red. Louis-Michel uses 100% new oak for all wines except for the white, where the share of new oak is 22% .. down from 40% in 2013.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes Blanc 2014
The third – and so far – the best vintage of this white for Louis-Michel – from the recently acquired vineyard Clos des Grandes Vignes in the southern end of Nuits-Saint-Georges. The vines were re-grafted with Chardonnay in 2010 – so this is a fairly new vineyard for the whites.
The 2014s whites are magnificent … and this is also the case with the Clos des Grandes Vignes. The nose is sligthtly closed … offering fine pure fruit, pear, white peach and with a hint of apple. On the palate quite generous juicy fruit – the trademark of the vintage – playful acidity and a lovely focus and purity. The vintage suits white Cote de Nuits well … as the charming fruit goes well with the sligtly “edgy” character of the NSG whites. Well done!
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2014
The Vosne Romanee Village is open, forward and very expressive for this stage – only a slight reduction. The bouquet is offering fine red and dark berry fruit spiced with violets, white pepper and cinnamon. The palate show lovely juicy fruit – fine pure and energetic core of red fruit. Love the tension, balance and drikability of this wine – gorgeous.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2014
The Vosne-Romanee Colombiere is quite a step up from the generic village – but also a slightly more serious wine. In the nose more dense and intense fruit – lovely depth – offering a less floral and deeper expression of Vosne-Romanee. On the palate same story – quite weighty fruit for this level … vibrant and delightfully focused with a lovely core of juicy fruit. Colombiere is improving every year and is now close to the Clos du Chateau quality wise … but stylewise it’s less expressive and floral. What do I prefer? – both!
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2014
The Clos du Chateau 2014 was bottled already in September … so this note is based on a tasting of the bottled wine. I would not say that Clos du Chateau is another big step up in quality from Colombiere … but it’s most certainly much more floral and expressive offering more minerality and Vosne spicyness. The bouquet offers juicy fruit, crisp minerality and loads of Vosne spices. On the palate fine very juicy fruit – delicate and refined – with a vibrant and very charming acidity driven fruit. While this is a quite intense wine it appears lightfooted and very expressive … gorgeous juice .. a essential expression of Vosne-Romanee.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Suchots 2014
Louis-Michel really nailed Les Suchots in 2014 – it’s vibrant, juicy and quite expressive. In the bouquet a delicate collection of red and darker berries – quite floral (15% whole cluster). On the palate fine focus and definition, a deep juicy fruit and a fine balance from the energetic acidity. The whole clusters really bring forward the best in this wine – a magnificent Suchots one of the best I have tasted from this estate.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuit-Saint-Georges Les Cras 2014
Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Cras is a slightly overlooked terroir … but in my view one of the very best terroirs in the appellation. This terroir renders a mineralic drive and energy to the wine … adding a lot of complexity and nerve making it one of the most complete terroirs in NSG.
The bouquet in the 2014 edition is offering a beautiful red and dark berry fruit brought forward by a lovely vivid slightly salty minerality. On the palate juicy and very delicate fruit … layered with a lovely verve and energy. Lovely core of red fruit .. quite weighty and with fine length .. love this terroir.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Petit Monts 2014
The Vosne Les Petits Monts seems more fruit driven than usually at this stage. In the quite floral and delightfully perfumed bouquet – loads of delicate sweet red fruit with notes of dark forest berries, hint of pomegranate, allspice and peony rose. On the palate lovely intense fruit – very juicy core on midpalate. The minerality is filigree and interlinked in the very delicate fruit – beautiful verve. Slightly less floral that normally – adore this wine.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-St-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014
The Nuits Saint Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes has taken a further step forward quality wise in the 2014 vintage – adding more focus and definition to the wine. In the bouquet – slight reduction – otherwise quite forward offering fresh red and dark berry fruit spiced by a nice earthy minerality. On the palate lovely juicy fruit – transparent and energetic with a delightful delicacy and definition. Impressed by the purity and the micro complexity and delighted by the energy and verve.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2014
While I love the Reignots terroir it’s sometimes a bit rough around the edges compared to the feminine delicacy of Les Petits Monts. The 2014 Aux Reignots is however a bit different, as the delightful fruit of the 2014 vintage has transformed this wine into a quite sensual and delicate wine. In the bouquet mineral infused red berry fruit intense and refined with a nice floral touch. On the palate layers of – primarily – red fruit – very well balanced by the fine acidity and the slightly salty and smoky minerality of the Reignots terroir. The midpalate fruit is very juicy – coating the vivid minerality with red berry aromas and a silky touch … energetic, vibrant and adorable.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014
The Echezeaux is one of my favorites of the Liger-Belair lineup – made from old vines in the climates Cruots, Champs Traversin and a small plot in Clos St. Denis. The 2014 edition of the Echezeaux is slightly backward at this stage – with a slight reduction on the nose. The bouquet is nevertheless offering layers of juicy red and dark fruits – notes of strawberries, boysenberries, pomegranate – energized by the filigree minerality and fresh acidity. On the palate layers rich and very juicy fruit … brought forward by the multidimensional filigree minerality. The acidity is fresh rather than powerful – a very balanced and refined wine witht lovely depth and length. A sensual wine in the making.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014
La Romanee is a as always quite a step up from the Echezeaux … to a more serious yet also refined level. In the bouquet layers of very delicate red fruit – notes of strawberries, boysenberries, cherries, violets and peony rose – brought forward by a both very refined and powerful filigree minerality. On the palate layers of juicy and delicate fruit – a intense yet also very delicate wine with a tremendous underlying minerality. The combination of the juicy and delicate red fruit of the 2014 vintage and the powerful but filigree minerality is bound for greatness and delicacy … pure pinot pleasure in the making.
Lastest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 July 20, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2009 June 21, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 July 7, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 June 25, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 June 24, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes Blanc 2014 March 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Petit Monts 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuit-Saint-Georges Les Cras 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Suchots 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Aux Reignots 2009 January 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2008 November 26, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2013 November 7, 2015
- Wine of the Month – June 2017 Wine of the Month is a way of celebrating the wine in the glass. Each month I will find a lovely and gratifying wine – not the greatest, not the best … but a interesting and enjoyable wine on the day … or as Clive Coates so eloquently puts it – a wine worthy ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Terroir Insight: Comte Liger-Belair NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes One of my favorite parts of Burgundy is Premeaux – and since I seem to be the only one to think that Premeaux should have its own appellation – l think its fair to assume that it will continue to be a part of Nuits-Saint-Georges for now. I have covered many of the Premeaux monopoles, but ...