As I taste the wines from the different vintages I update the Vintage Charts. This time it’s the vintage chart for the whites, where I have made a few adjustments.
Upgrading the 2010 vintage
Tasting the 2014 vintage accentuates some of the strong points of the 2010 vintage – the intensity and the mighty framework of acidity.
The 2010s are great in the true meaning of the word, and while the level of botrytis sometimes is slightly high, I do feel that 2010 is a better vintage than both 2008 and 2014.
So I have upgraded the white 2010s a notch … as I regard this vintage to be Extraordinary (see rating scale at the bottom of the right column)
So is 2010 the best vintage in recent years? .. well hard to say, but I do love the 1996 whites, as they to a higher degree combines purity and intensity.
2014 – purity and delicacy
The 2014 vintage is in my view the most refined and delicate vintage for white Burgundies I have tasted in recent decades. It is perhapt not the most energetic vintage (2008 springs to mind) or the most intense vintage (2010s are indeed more intense and powerful).
Is it a truly great vintage? … time will show. They do seem lack the power and defined backbone of the 2010s … the fruit is however cleaner than the 2010s with less botrytis, but in some sense the 2010 are more the prototype for a “great” vintage. The same could be said about the 1996 vintage .. aside from the premox problems … and in reality the 1996 vintage is perhaps the best vintage for the whites in recent decades.
It’s however important to note … great vintages does not necessary bring you more pleasure, and I do feel that the purity of the 2014s will provide a lot of fine Burgundy moments.
So I still have the 2010s as the best vintage for the whites within the last 15 years. The 2014 vintage is clearly better than the the 2013 vintage … when compared directly the 2013s seems somewhat rustic an robust – tasted alongside the very delicate and refined 2014s.
The 2008s are born to be wild … with a tremendous energy and a very vivid acidity – they tend to be slightly on the expressive and perhaps even rough side. I love the 2008s for this … but delicate and refined … not always.
So in the end the 2014s (at least some) seems to be lacking the ultimate intensity and the structural power of a truly great vintage.
So I have upgraded the 2014s to “Outstanding to Extraordinary” .. trailing the 2010 vintage.
I love the 2014s … and I highly recommend this vintage.
Downgrading the 2005 whites
I have recently tasted quite a few 2005 whites that seem to run out of steam. The 2005 vintage have always offered rich and volumptious wines, not always finding the right balance or focus.
Some were very flabby in their youth … but shaped up nicely over the years. Sadly the seem to develop quite rapidly .. and in this proces they loose both freshness and focus.
So be careful .. many wines could be in decline sooner rather than later.
Vintage Chart White Burgundy
|2014||Outstanding to Extraordinary||Taste/Keep||Classic and delicate|
|2013||Very Fine to Outstanding||Keep/Taste|
|2007||Very Fine to Outstanding||Keep/Taste|
|2006||Average to Good||Drink||High alcohol and some premox problems|
|2004||Very Fine||Drink||Premox problems|
|2003||Poor to Average||Avoid||Very hot year|
|2002||Very Fine+||Drink||Premox problems|
|2001||Very Good+||Drink||Premox problems|
|2000||Very Fine+||Drink||Premox problems|
-> Upgraded on March 27th, 2016.
-> Downgraded on March 27th, 2016.
- The 2015 vintage – variations of greatness June 22, 2016
- Frost damage – one devestating night May 4, 2016
- Vintage Report – Burgundy 2013 vintage – update March 2015 March 22, 2015
- Vintage Report Burgundy 2013 – Update November 2014 November 8, 2014
- Initial impressions of the Burgundy 2013 vintage May 11, 2014
- Vintage Report Burgundy 2012 – Update March 2014 March 30, 2014
- Vintage Charts – update April 2013 April 27, 2013
- Burgundy 2012 – First impressions March 23, 2013
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2010 November 9, 2012
- Vintage Report, Red and White Burgundy 2011 November 1, 2012
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2009 – update 2 April 5, 2012
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne 2012 March 20, 2012
- Tasting – Burgundy 2009 February 8, 2012
- Vintage Report – Red Burgundy 2005 September 24, 2011
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2007 August 30, 2011
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2008 August 21, 2011