As I taste the wines from the different vintages I update the Vintage Charts. This time it’s the vintage chart for the reds, where I have made a few adjustments. Adjustments of the white vintage chart will follow after Grands Jours de Bourgogne … I have a feeling that the 2014 whites need an upgrade .. they are THAT good.
Downgrading the 2006 reds
I have downgraded the 2006 vintage as I find these wines to lack focus and purity compared to the 2007 vintage. They are not bad wines – they have the volume and power, but refinement is perhaps not their strongest points.
The 2007 and the 2006 vintages have been rivals since the beginning … and they are quite closely matched, for my palate the 2007s are however edging ahead now – with more refinement and purity to offer.
2010 – the legendary vintage for red Burgundies
Ever since I tasted the 2010 vintage for the first time I have always thought – This is the best vintage of red Burgundies I have ever tasted young.
The first tasting was at Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair in the summer of 2011 – with Clive Coates and Roy Richards – actually the day where I decided to go public with the winehog blog .. so also in that sense the 2010s are special to me.
The 2010s are classic, they offer the cool balance and elegance that Burgundy must have in a truly great year. They are effortlessly refined and airy but at the same time very intense and powerful. They are not weighty and big wines – they are intense in a delicate, cool and refined way …
So lets make a statement … 2010 is a legendary vintage for red Burgundies. It’s better than any recent vintage I have tasted, and I have a hard time finding even an old vintage going back to the 80s, 70s or 60s that can rival the 2010s.
Vintage Chart Red Burgundy
|2014||Very Fine to Outstanding||Cask/Taste||Classic and delicate wines|
|2013||Poor to Very Fine+||Taste/Keep||Risk for bitter and tannic wines|
|2011||Very Fine||Taste/Keep||Some green wines|
|2009||Outstanding||Keep||Somewhat dense – high alcohol in some wines|
|2006||Good to Very Good||Taste/Keep|
|2004||Good||Drink/Taste||Green notes in some wines|
|2003||Poor to Very Good||Taste/Keep||Very hot year|
|2001||Very Good to Fine||Taste/Drink|
-> Upgraded on March 13th, 2016.
-> Downgraded on March13th, 2016.
- The 2015 vintage – variations of greatness June 22, 2016
- Frost damage – one devestating night May 4, 2016
- Vintage Report – Burgundy 2013 vintage – update March 2015 March 22, 2015
- Vintage Report Burgundy 2013 – Update November 2014 November 8, 2014
- Initial impressions of the Burgundy 2013 vintage May 11, 2014
- Vintage Report Burgundy 2012 – Update March 2014 March 30, 2014
- Vintage Charts – update April 2013 April 27, 2013
- Burgundy 2012 – First impressions March 23, 2013
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2010 November 9, 2012
- Vintage Report, Red and White Burgundy 2011 November 1, 2012
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2009 – update 2 April 5, 2012
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne 2012 March 20, 2012
- Tasting – Burgundy 2009 February 8, 2012
- Vintage Report – Red Burgundy 2005 September 24, 2011
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2007 August 30, 2011
- Vintage Report, Red Burgundy 2008 August 21, 2011