This year I had the opportunity to taste some 2011s and 2012 from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair at a tasting the day after the Trilogie en Cote de Nuits.
The tasting program comprised of some of the 2011s not presented at the Trilogie, and some of the 2012 wines – including the white from the new vineyard Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes. This article focus on the tasting of the 2012s – the 2011s will be covered in a separate article.
Tasting of 2012 – Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair
The tasting included the new white and a five reds 2012s. All the reds tasted had completed the malolactic fermentation.
The overall impressions of the 2012s reds from Liger-Belair are very positive. The wines are quite rich and fullbodied with a lovely vibrant layers of intense fruit – a nuanced and complex expression of pinot. The 2012s are quite transparent and nervy despite the quite intense fruit – the acidity is quite crisp and offer excellent support for the rich fruit.
It’s still early … but I’m very optimistic about these wines. They are currently very tastable and extrovert – but they are in a very early stage of the development. Can they rival the great 2010s from this estate – perhaps not quite – but the 2012s could well be better than the excellent 2009s from Liger-Belair – I’m looking forward to follow these wines.
The 2012 wines tasted on March 19th 2013:
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Lavieres 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Chaumes 2012
Tasting notes 2012 Liger-Belair
The tasting notes are all from the tasting on March 19th 2013.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes
First white from Louis-Michel – from the newly acquired vineyard Clos des Grandes Vignes in the southern Nuits-Saint-Georges. The wines were re-grafted with Chardonney in 2010 – so this is a fairly new vineyard for the whites. The bouquet is quite expressive with notes of pear, melon and citrus – the oak is present but delicate and the minerality is showing quite finely grained. On the palate crisp and pure fruit, a good framework of minerality and acidity. The minerality seems quite smooth and refined for a Cote de Nuits white. It’s very pure and offer good fresness for the vintage – will be interesting to follow this wine. Really fine potential – but too early to rate this wine at this stage.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Lavieres 2012
The NSG Lavieres is quite expressive but showing a slight reduction. In the nose lovely red berry fruit spiced with a nice minerality and oak – hints of coffee. On the palate it offers quite weighty fruit – good concentration for this level – very juicy and with a good focusing minerality. A very good village in the making.
(Drink from 2022) – Very Good (87 – 89p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2012
The Vosne Romanee Village offer a lovely spicy nose – red berry fruit, violets white peppar and cinnamon – slight reduction. The palate offer lovely juicy fruit – good complexity in the fruit – lovely midpalate concentration for this level. The finish is quite focused with a nice balance from the vibrant 2012 acidity. Love the expression of the 2012 fruit – and the generic Vosne village is improving year after year.
(Drink from 2022) – Very Good (87 – 89p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2012
The Colombiere is quite a step up from the very good generic village – as it offers a more focused and refined expression of terroir. The nose is slightly reduced currently, but is still showing a lovely juicy red berry fruit – and it’s popping with Vosne spicyness – violets, peony rose – combined with a crisp minerality. The palate is showing juicy vibrant fruit with the support of the lovely minerality from the Colombiere terroir – it’s quite weighty for this level – but still maintain a lovely mineralic tension and nerve. A beautiful Colombiere in the making.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Good+ (88 – 90p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2012
The Clos du Chateau is another step up – adding even more minerality and Vosne spicyness. The bouquet is somewhat reduced but still offering a juicy fruit, crisp minerality and loads of Vosne spices. On the palate excellent weight for this level – the fruit is deep and complex supported by the stony minerality from this lovely village terroir. It offers a lovely nerve and transparancy – a truly fine village from Liger-Belair.
(Drink from 2025) – Fine (90 – 92p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Chaumes 2012
The last wine is Les Chaumes – one of the lesser 1er cru In Vosne Romanee. This wine contain 18% whole cluster grapes. The bouquet offer rich and quite dense red berry fruit – notes of raspberries, forest strawberries and discrete Vosne spices. The minerality is there – but not as forward and crisp as in Clos du Chateau. On the palate quite weigthy fruit – it’s rich and almost creamy – but with a lovely acidity. A lovely rich and pure Chaumes.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Good (89 – 91p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 July 20, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2009 June 21, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 July 7, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 June 25, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 June 24, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2014 March 17, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes Blanc 2014 March 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2014 March 14, 2016
- More tastings of the 2016s – exiting and delightful A very busy week with plenty of tastings – covering a large part of Burgundy. From Morey to Santenay in just the last days – meeting a lot of nice people making wines with love and talent. I’m always surprised how many new and fine estates one can find just scratching the surface. Domaine du Comte ...
- Visit Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – tasting of the 2016s Back to where it all began – when Winehog was conceived in July 2011 – at a tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Back then it was the 2010 vintage now its the 2016 edition – how time flies! While the 2010 vintage still is my favourite vintage from this estate – I do think the ...
- Wine of the Month – June 2017 Wine of the Month is a way of celebrating the wine in the glass. Each month I will find a lovely and gratifying wine – not the greatest, not the best … but a interesting and enjoyable wine on the day … or as Clive Coates so eloquently puts it – a wine worthy ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Terroir Insight: Comte Liger-Belair NSG Clos des Grandes Vignes One of my favorite parts of Burgundy is Premeaux – and since I seem to be the only one to think that Premeaux should have its own appellation – l think its fair to assume that it will continue to be a part of Nuits-Saint-Georges for now. I have covered many of the Premeaux monopoles, but ...
- Visit Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – tasting of the 2015s update On my November trip I had the opportunity to retaste the 2015s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – the wines I first tasted in June 2016. The 2015 lineup did look both impressive and delightful in June, but I had question marks regarding a few wines that I wanted to calibrate. Louis-Michel Liger-Belair – June 2016 Tasting of ...
- One of the keys to find the best 2015 red Burgundies I have tasted 2015 Burgundy reds in March, June and November 2016 and found some special wines in this vintage – wines with extraordinary qualities .. wines that seem to have an extra level of energy and tension. In June I struggled to see the pattern and the key to find these wines – but finally ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne Les Chaumes Vosne-Romanee Les Chaumes is a large 1er cru, and while its well know the quality produced from this vineyard is still rather mixed. As new generations take over – more and more fine examples of Les Chaumes does however reach the market. One of the best I have tasted recently is the 2015 from Domaine du ...