This year I had the opportunity to taste some 2011s and 2012 from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair at a tasting the day after the Trilogie en Cote de Nuits.
The tasting program comprised of some of the 2011s not presented at the Trilogie, and some of the 2012 wines – including the white from the new vineyard Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes. This article focus on the tasting of the 2012s – the 2011s will be covered in a separate article.
Tasting of 2012 – Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair
The tasting included the new white and a five reds 2012s. All the reds tasted had completed the malolactic fermentation.
The overall impressions of the 2012s reds from Liger-Belair are very positive. The wines are quite rich and fullbodied with a lovely vibrant layers of intense fruit – a nuanced and complex expression of pinot. The 2012s are quite transparent and nervy despite the quite intense fruit – the acidity is quite crisp and offer excellent support for the rich fruit.
It’s still early … but I’m very optimistic about these wines. They are currently very tastable and extrovert – but they are in a very early stage of the development. Can they rival the great 2010s from this estate – perhaps not quite – but the 2012s could well be better than the excellent 2009s from Liger-Belair – I’m looking forward to follow these wines.
The 2012 wines tasted on March 19th 2013:
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Lavieres 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Chaumes 2012
Tasting notes 2012 Liger-Belair
The tasting notes are all from the tasting on March 19th 2013.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes
First white from Louis-Michel – from the newly acquired vineyard Clos des Grandes Vignes in the southern Nuits-Saint-Georges. The wines were re-grafted with Chardonney in 2010 – so this is a fairly new vineyard for the whites. The bouquet is quite expressive with notes of pear, melon and citrus – the oak is present but delicate and the minerality is showing quite finely grained. On the palate crisp and pure fruit, a good framework of minerality and acidity. The minerality seems quite smooth and refined for a Cote de Nuits white. It’s very pure and offer good fresness for the vintage – will be interesting to follow this wine. Really fine potential – but too early to rate this wine at this stage.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Lavieres 2012
The NSG Lavieres is quite expressive but showing a slight reduction. In the nose lovely red berry fruit spiced with a nice minerality and oak – hints of coffee. On the palate it offers quite weighty fruit – good concentration for this level – very juicy and with a good focusing minerality. A very good village in the making.
(Drink from 2022) – Very Good (87 – 89p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2012
The Vosne Romanee Village offer a lovely spicy nose – red berry fruit, violets white peppar and cinnamon – slight reduction. The palate offer lovely juicy fruit – good complexity in the fruit – lovely midpalate concentration for this level. The finish is quite focused with a nice balance from the vibrant 2012 acidity. Love the expression of the 2012 fruit – and the generic Vosne village is improving year after year.
(Drink from 2022) – Very Good (87 – 89p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2012
The Colombiere is quite a step up from the very good generic village – as it offers a more focused and refined expression of terroir. The nose is slightly reduced currently, but is still showing a lovely juicy red berry fruit – and it’s popping with Vosne spicyness – violets, peony rose – combined with a crisp minerality. The palate is showing juicy vibrant fruit with the support of the lovely minerality from the Colombiere terroir – it’s quite weighty for this level – but still maintain a lovely mineralic tension and nerve. A beautiful Colombiere in the making.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Good+ (88 – 90p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2012
The Clos du Chateau is another step up – adding even more minerality and Vosne spicyness. The bouquet is somewhat reduced but still offering a juicy fruit, crisp minerality and loads of Vosne spices. On the palate excellent weight for this level – the fruit is deep and complex supported by the stony minerality from this lovely village terroir. It offers a lovely nerve and transparancy – a truly fine village from Liger-Belair.
(Drink from 2025) – Fine (90 – 92p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Chaumes 2012
The last wine is Les Chaumes – one of the lesser 1er cru In Vosne Romanee. This wine contain 18% whole cluster grapes. The bouquet offer rich and quite dense red berry fruit – notes of raspberries, forest strawberries and discrete Vosne spices. The minerality is there – but not as forward and crisp as in Clos du Chateau. On the palate quite weigthy fruit – it’s rich and almost creamy – but with a lovely acidity. A lovely rich and pure Chaumes.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Good (89 – 91p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Aux Reignots 2003 November 29, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2008 October 4, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2008 September 16, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne La Colombiere 2012 July 28, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne La Colombiere 2011 June 27, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2012 May 6, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2008 April 12, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne La Colombiere 2011 February 24, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 January 28, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2007 January 19, 2014
- Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots – a fragmented delight The Aux Reignots is in my view one of the most interesting 1er crus of Cote de Nuits – its perhaps not quite in the same popularity league as Vosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux, Aux Malconsorts or Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses, but the focus on this terroir has increased dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Louis-Michel ...
- Visit – Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2013 from cask On my November 2014 trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to taste the 2013s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Expectations were high after tasting some very fine 2013s at other Domaines .. needless to say – I was not disappointed – the 2013s from Liger-Belair are very fine indeed. Tasting of the 2013s from Domaine ...
- Burgundy November 2014 – Day Three Third day in Burgundy … four visits .. Domaine Dublere, Domaine Cathiard, Domaine Robert Sirugue and last but not least Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Domaine Dublere A very fine visit with owner and winemaker extraordinaire Blair Pethel. The 2013s from Dublere are very well made and delightful all the way from the Bourgogne Blanc to the Volnay ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux Louis-Michel Liger-Belair is in my view producing one of the very best wines from the large and very diverse Echezeaux vineyard. First vintage was 2006 and quality improving year after year arriving at a truly outstanding level from 2010 and onwards. A very interesting wine in many ways … so lets take a closer look at the ...
- La Tâche – a historic view on a legendary grand cru La Tâche is a legendary grand cru with a quite interesting history. It has always been a monopole – but nevertheless the monopole status have been challenged and the vineyard expanded quite dramatically within the last 100 years. The history of La Tâche involves some of the most prominent domaines in Vosne, the neighburing Les Gaudichots ...
- In the glass – 2011 vs 2012 red Burgundy I was very impressed and delighted when I tasted the 2012 reds from cask, and recent tastings of the first 2012s from bottle more than confirm the very positive first impressions. This week we had a modest and relaxed lunch at Restaurant Enomania in Copenhagen, and we had a few top end 2011s and some ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2012 from cask On my September trip to Burgundy I had he opportunity to taste the 2012s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. I tasted some of the wines already in March 2013 – and they showed great promise – so I was very exited to taste the whole range. Needless to say – I was not disappointed – the ...
- Visit at Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – March 2013 This year I had the opportunity to taste some 2011s and 2012 from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair at a tasting the day after the Trilogie en Cote de Nuits. The tasting program comprised of some of the 2011s not presented at the Trilogie, and some of the 2012 wines – including the white from the new ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2002 – 2009 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the rising stars of Burgundy, and after 10 years of production one of the very top domaines in Vosne Romanee. Louis-Michel Liger-Belair took over in 2000 and has gradually expanded the domaine and the portfolio of wines during the past 10 years. I have followed ...
- One year with the WineHog Time really flies … and it’s now exactly one year since I launched WineHog.org in Juliy 2011. During this year I realized that blogging about fine wine is quite a lot of hard work, but fortunately also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I have tasted a lot of good wines during the first year, ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2011 from cask Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the very top domaines in Burgundy, and the 2011 vintage seem to consolidate this position. I tasted all the 2011 wines from cask at the domaine in early May 2012. The tasting showed that Liger-Belair have made very fine wines in 2011, and will in my view, judged ...
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne – Vosne Romanee 2010 vintage The main tasting at this years Grand Jours de Bourgogne was the Vosne Romanee tasting. The tasting was held at Chateau Clos de Vougeot on March 20th – 2012 Most of the leading producers of Vosne Romanee, Echezeau, Grands Echezeaux and Clos de Vougeot attended this event. While the tastings of Morey, Chambolle, Nuit-Saint-Georges were fine, ...
- Village wines blended or single vineyard It seems like a growing number of producers in Burgundy are producing single vineyard village wines, thus changing the tradition of blending the village wines in to one cuvee. For some producers it’s an old tradition, but for others it’s a new approach. But is single vineyard village wines a good idea, or just another ...
- Tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair 2010 from cask Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair is one of the rising stars of Burgundy, and after only 10 years one of the top domaines in the region. We tasted all the 2010 wines from cask at the domaine in July 2011. The tasting showed that Liger-Belair have made excellent wines in 2010, and will no doubt outperform ...
- Echezeaux – Grand cru standard? Echézeaux is one of the largest grands crus of the whole Côte d’Or. It’s divided into a number of plots or climats the vineyard, located around the smaller Grands-Echézeaux. I have tasted some very good bottles of Echezeaux, but also some very poor bottles where only the label was an indication of its grand cru status. ...
- WineHog rating system – articulated Robert Parker!! Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...