This year I had the opportunity to taste some 2011s and 2012 from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair at a tasting the day after the Trilogie en Cote de Nuits.
The tasting program comprised of some of the 2011s not presented at the Trilogie, and some of the 2012 wines – including the white from the new vineyard Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes. This article focus on the tasting of the 2012s – the 2011s will be covered in a separate article.
Tasting of 2012 – Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair
The tasting included the new white and a five reds 2012s. All the reds tasted had completed the malolactic fermentation.
The overall impressions of the 2012s reds from Liger-Belair are very positive. The wines are quite rich and fullbodied with a lovely vibrant layers of intense fruit – a nuanced and complex expression of pinot. The 2012s are quite transparent and nervy despite the quite intense fruit – the acidity is quite crisp and offer excellent support for the rich fruit.
It’s still early … but I’m very optimistic about these wines. They are currently very tastable and extrovert – but they are in a very early stage of the development. Can they rival the great 2010s from this estate – perhaps not quite – but the 2012s could well be better than the excellent 2009s from Liger-Belair – I’m looking forward to follow these wines.
The 2012 wines tasted on March 19th 2013:
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Lavieres 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2012
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Chaumes 2012
Tasting notes 2012 Liger-Belair
The tasting notes are all from the tasting on March 19th 2013.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Grandes Vignes
First white from Louis-Michel – from the newly acquired vineyard Clos des Grandes Vignes in the southern Nuits-Saint-Georges. The wines were re-grafted with Chardonney in 2010 – so this is a fairly new vineyard for the whites. The bouquet is quite expressive with notes of pear, melon and citrus – the oak is present but delicate and the minerality is showing quite finely grained. On the palate crisp and pure fruit, a good framework of minerality and acidity. The minerality seems quite smooth and refined for a Cote de Nuits white. It’s very pure and offer good fresness for the vintage – will be interesting to follow this wine. Really fine potential – but too early to rate this wine at this stage.
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Nuits-Saint-Georges Lavieres 2012
The NSG Lavieres is quite expressive but showing a slight reduction. In the nose lovely red berry fruit spiced with a nice minerality and oak – hints of coffee. On the palate it offers quite weighty fruit – good concentration for this level – very juicy and with a good focusing minerality. A very good village in the making.
(Drink from 2022) – Very Good (87 – 89p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee 2012
The Vosne Romanee Village offer a lovely spicy nose – red berry fruit, violets white peppar and cinnamon – slight reduction. The palate offer lovely juicy fruit – good complexity in the fruit – lovely midpalate concentration for this level. The finish is quite focused with a nice balance from the vibrant 2012 acidity. Love the expression of the 2012 fruit – and the generic Vosne village is improving year after year.
(Drink from 2022) – Very Good (87 – 89p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Colombiere 2012
The Colombiere is quite a step up from the very good generic village – as it offers a more focused and refined expression of terroir. The nose is slightly reduced currently, but is still showing a lovely juicy red berry fruit – and it’s popping with Vosne spicyness – violets, peony rose – combined with a crisp minerality. The palate is showing juicy vibrant fruit with the support of the lovely minerality from the Colombiere terroir – it’s quite weighty for this level – but still maintain a lovely mineralic tension and nerve. A beautiful Colombiere in the making.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Good+ (88 – 90p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Clos du Chateau 2012
The Clos du Chateau is another step up – adding even more minerality and Vosne spicyness. The bouquet is somewhat reduced but still offering a juicy fruit, crisp minerality and loads of Vosne spices. On the palate excellent weight for this level – the fruit is deep and complex supported by the stony minerality from this lovely village terroir. It offers a lovely nerve and transparancy – a truly fine village from Liger-Belair.
(Drink from 2025) – Fine (90 – 92p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Romanee Les Chaumes 2012
The last wine is Les Chaumes – one of the lesser 1er cru In Vosne Romanee. This wine contain 18% whole cluster grapes. The bouquet offer rich and quite dense red berry fruit – notes of raspberries, forest strawberries and discrete Vosne spices. The minerality is there – but not as forward and crisp as in Clos du Chateau. On the palate quite weigthy fruit – it’s rich and almost creamy – but with a lovely acidity. A lovely rich and pure Chaumes.
(Drink from 2024) – Very Good (89 – 91p) – Tasted 19/03/2013 – from CASK
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2016 March 6, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 March 6, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 October 17, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2006 September 6, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2009 May 1, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2015 December 15, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, La Romanee 2010 December 5, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2011 December 2, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 July 20, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Terroir View: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots is in my view slowly but surely raising it’s game in the Liger-Belair lineup, after a somewhat less focused start in the 2006 vintage and the following years. Now 13 years later we see more definition and a more precise wine – now made under the biodynamic regime that was introduced in ...
- Terroir View: Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne La Colombiere The Vosne-Romanée La Colombiere from Comte du Liger-Belair is a important wine for the estate as one of three village wines from Vosne. It’s a vivid and quite rich village, quite a contrast to the more floral and expressive Clos du Chateau. The La Colombiere have improved a lot during the latter years after the turnaround to ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Aux Reignots One of my favourite 1er crus of Burgundy is the Aux Reignots made by Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, a tremendous wines of a very high quality. Louis-Michel Liger-Belair controls 45% of the Aux Reignots vineyard, that extends just above his prestigious monopole La Romanee – and his quest for quality has really pushed the perception ...
- Vineyard Insight: Pommard Clos de la Commaraine Comte Louis-Michel Liger-Belair of Chateau de Vosne-Romanée has just entered an agreement with the owners of Pommard Clos de la Commaraine to help with the making the wine from this historic 3.75 ha monopole vineyard. This does set this vineyard on the map in a different way – first vintage is 2018. Clos de la Commaraine ...
- Visit Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – 2017s from cask First taste of the 2017s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair … a rather fresh and vivid vintage. After 2015 and 2016 – intense and dense vintages we find the 2017 a lighter and perhaps more lively and vivacious vintage. I do find many wines from Vosne-Romanee very well balanced in the 2017 vintage – and while it’s ...
- Visit Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – Re-tasting of the 2016s from cask Re-taste of the 2016s from Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair … a delightful occupation. I first tasted the 2016s in June 2017, and while most of the wines showed well on that occasion, the extra six months of elevage have defined, detailed and clarified the picture of the wines. No doubt Louis-Michel Liger-Belair have done very well ...
- More tastings of the 2016s – exiting and delightful A very busy week with plenty of tastings – covering a large part of Burgundy. From Morey to Santenay in just the last days – meeting a lot of nice people making wines with love and talent. I’m always surprised how many new and fine estates one can find just scratching the surface. Domaine du Comte ...
- Visit Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – tasting of the 2016s Back to where it all began – when Winehog was conceived in July 2011 – at a tasting of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair. Back then it was the 2010 vintage now its the 2016 edition – how time flies! While the 2010 vintage still is my favourite vintage from this estate – I do think the ...