One of the highlights on my November 2015 tour de Bourgogne was the visit at Domaine Cathiard.
Domaine Cathiard is one of my favorite producers in Burgundy … and while wines have been good for quite some years … the quality has accelerated after Sebastien Cathiard took over with the 2011 vintage.
The 2014s here are very delicate and refined, as a consequence of the vintage and a further adjustment of the vinification. The percentage of oak has been reduced a further notch in 2014 .. to 50% for the village and 66% for the 1er crus .. and the toasting of the oak has also been reduced somewhat.
The result is quite staggering as the gorgeous 2014 fruit is presented with less impression from the oak … adding to the definition and transparency at this early stage.
The Cathiard wines has never struck me as overoaked before, but the reduction of oak seems to have benefited the definition and focus in the wines … moving quality to a new level. This is top end Vosne-Romanee.
Comparing the 2013s with the 2014s is almost an ice and fire thing … as the 2014s are showing off their delicacy currently and the 2013s are more muscular and sturdy structure wise.
My nod goes to the 2014s as they offer more purity, pleasure and delicacy … others may feel differently .. and pehaps I was been slightly too optimistic about the 2013s in general. The 2014s will be a fine surprise for those who focus only on 2015 … love the 2014s.
To the notes …
Tasting Notes from tasting on November 5th 2014
All the wines were tasted from cask at the estate on November 17th 2015 – under the guidance of Sebastien Cathiard.
Domaine Cathiard, Bourgogne Rouge 2014
The Bourgogne rouge is very delicate for this level. In the nose juicy red berriers with a hint of earthy minerality. On the palate, juicy and vibrant fruit … delicious and charming .. with very good depth and length for a Bourgogne Rouge. Drinking very well indeed.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2014
The Vosne village from Sebastien Cathiard is one of my benchmark wines. The 2014 really shows all the virtues of the vintage … the nose is bursting with delicate red berry fruit … pure, deep and transparent. On the palate rich and energetic fruit … detailed and pure with a fine expression of terroir. A refined and delicate Vosne village in the making.
Domaine Cathiard, Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme 2014
The Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme is a very elegant and charming wine with a gorgeous expression of the Chambolle terroir. In the nose, cool and refined red fruit with a delicate and forward Chambolle minerality. On the palate airy and refined red fruit … lightfooted but still intense and long. A delightful glass of pinot … love the tension and energy in this wine.
Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Thorey 2014
The Aux Thorey is also shining in 2014 although perhaps a bit more backward than the previous wines. In the nose juicy red fruit … variations of cherries. On the palate very airy and crisp with a fine energy and tension in the fruit. A bit darker than the other wines … but is nevertheless very charming and quite forward. Love the transparency and crystal clear purity.
Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Murgers 2014
The Aux Murgers is sweeter and more forward charming than the Thorey … as usual. The two NSG’s are closely matched even in 2014 … although they are quite different. The nose is bursting with red fruits in the Murgers .. offering a lovely depth and nice earthy minerality. On the palate very generous and elegant … love the layers of cool energetic fruit … so charming and delicate … another glass please … drinking beautifully.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2014
The Aux Reignots is showing the refined side of this terroir … with a filigree minerality … the upper Reignots has less weight but also a more refined minerality. The nose is quite floral offering an energetic red fruit and a nice transparent expression of the terroir. On the palate very elegant and delicate with a filigree minerality and layers of cool and airy fruit … love the tension in this wine .. ohh joy!
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux 2014
The En Orveaux is more opulent and rich than the super refined Reignots … it’s sinfully delicious in my view. In the nose deep and airy red fruit, forward and rich … offering a lovely minerality and delicate Vosne spices. On the palate … sexy opulence … intense and very generous … delightful red energetic fruit with the most delicate tensions between sweet and more nervy red fruits. Love the core of layered red fruit … will provide gorgeous drinking over the next couple of decades … seductive pinot porn!
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee les Suchots 2014
The Les Suchots is a more serious wine … although still charming and refined. The Suchots comes from a plot in the bottom of the vineyard located on a small ridge towards Echezeaux. The nose is very spicy offering a wide variety of Vosne spices … hints of cinnamon, allspice and violets. On the palate very elegant and focused for a Suchots … only 66% new oak this year ,,, and this really has improved both the transparency and the definition of the terroir … it’s detailed, long, weighty … will need time to unfold … a magnificent Suchots in the making … most likely the best wine produced on this large 1er cru in 2014 … hard to imagine anyone can match this wine.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2014
The mighty Malconsorts also benefits from the energetic and nervy red fruit of the vintage. The bouquet is almost an explosion of cool and juicy red berry fruit … so detailed, pure and transparent … showing the full beauty of the rich and quite earthy terroir. On the palate weighty, quite firm and clearly a big step up in concentration … it’s vibrant with a lovely tension and forward display of the cool but intense fruit … more expressive than usual. The deep and layered fruit offers phenomenal energy and focus … a mighty, magnificent and refined Malconsorts in the making.
Domaine Cathiard, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2014
The Romanee Saint-Vivant is refinement and delicacy personified … or is it pinotified? This is one of the most refined and delicate red 2014s I have tasted … despite its considerable intensity and concentration. The nose is offering layers of pure and transparent cool red fruit … beautifully brought forward by the refined terroir … a bit shy but displaying extraordinary complexity and detail. On the palate very refined and silky … in a cool and focused way. Beautifully balanced with tremendous finesse and an almost regal delicacy – a bit understated and effortless … but clearly the best wine I have tasted from Cathiard so far. Chapeau Sebastien!
Sincere thanks to Ian Westcott for the editorial help on this article.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Cathiard, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee les Suchots 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Murgers 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Thorey 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Bourgogne Rouge 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2013 December 13, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee les Suchots 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Murgers 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Thorey 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Bourgogne Rouge 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2011 December 25, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2012 December 20, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Les Suchots 2004 December 16, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Aux Malconsorts 2011 July 7, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2012 May 23, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2012 May 20, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Aux Malconsorts 2012 May 17, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Romanee 2010 April 8, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Romanee 2011 February 28, 2014
- Visit Domaine Cathiard tasting of the 2015s from cask Domaine Cathiard is now established as one of the top estates in Burgundy – quality has been truly impressive since the 2011 vintage – and the prices have skyrocketed in the great market as demand has grown exponentially. So expectations are high when you visit the modern estate buildings at Domaine Chathiard … this is the ...
- One of the keys to find the best 2015 red Burgundies I have tasted 2015 Burgundy reds in March, June and November 2016 and found some special wines in this vintage – wines with extraordinary qualities .. wines that seem to have an extra level of energy and tension. In June I struggled to see the pattern and the key to find these wines – but finally ...
- Visit at Domaine Cathiard – tasting of the 2014 vintage One of the highlights on my November 2015 tour de Bourgogne was the visit at Domaine Cathiard. Domaine Cathiard is one of my favorite producers in Burgundy … and while wines have been good for quite some years … the quality has accelerated after Sebastien Cathiard took over with the 2011 vintage. The 2014s here are very ...
- Impressions Bizot, Liger-Belair and Cathiard 2014 Monday offered tastings of the 2014 vintage from three of my favorite Vosne-Romanee producers – Domaine Bizot, Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair and Domaine Cathiard. The tastings confirmed the loverly drinkability of the 2014s … the quality is high and this vintage should not be forgotten in the midst of the 2015 hype. Domaine Bizot My first visit here ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Cathiard Aux Malconsorts One of the most acclaimed 1er crus made in Vosne-Romanee is the Aux Malconsorts from Domaine Sylvain Cathiard. The quality of the Cathiard wines has improved rapidly over the last dacade, and with Sebastien Cathiard in charge since the 2011 vintage, Cathiard is now among the very very best producers in Vosne-Romanee. Photo: Sebastian Cathiard – Domaine ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Cathiard Vosne-Romanee Les Suchots Vosne-Romanee Les Suchots is a large and quite diverse terroir, with some interesting plots producing lovely wines. Sadly there are also some low points, where more dense and rather poorly focused wines are produced. The Suchots vineyard is very fragmented with 38 plots, covering in total 13.09 ha – with more than 20 owners currently. Most consider ...
- Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots – a fragmented delight The Aux Reignots is in my view one of the most interesting 1er crus of Cote de Nuits – its perhaps not quite in the same popularity league as Vosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux, Aux Malconsorts or Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses, but the focus on this terroir has increased dramatically during the last 10 to 15 years. Louis-Michel ...
- Visit at Domaine Cathiard – tasting of the 2013 vintage One of the highlights on my November 2014 tour de Bourgogne was my very first visit at Domaine Cathiard. I have seen the wines from this Domaine improve tremendously over the years – a development that was accentuated when Sebastian Cathiard took over in 2011. Both the 2011s and the 2012s are gorgeous and have really ...