Domaine Poisot is a quite “new” domaine run by the former navy captain Remi Poisot, who is now making wine from a fine portfolio of family vineyards. This was my second vist here, in the dark and very cold cellars under the beautiful Chateau Corton Grancy.
Remi began making wines before the harvest in 2009, and 2010 was his first full vintage – where he also did the work in the vineyards.
The Poisot family own vineyards in Romanee-Saint-Vivant, Corton-Bressandes, Corton Charlemagne and in Pernand-Vergelesses – these vineyards is a part of the heritage from the Louis Latour domaine – see further info about Domaine Poisot
The visit was in March 2015 in connection with the Trilogie tasting at Clos de Vougeot, and to be honest this is not always the optimal time to taste the wines, as the 2013s in this case were prepared for bottling and the 2014s barely finished with the malolactic fermentation.
So bad timing on my part … but this is how it sometimes play out when the logistics of planning my trips to Burgundy are out of phase with the nature of the wines.
The 2014s .. initial impressions
The 2014s were just finishing the malolactic fermentation, and were still in a very early stage of their development – so no specific notes.
In general the wines showed fine promise, as the vintage charateristics seems to suit the slightly dark and discrete style of the wines. The fresh and predominantly red fruit of the 2014 vintage will go beautifully with these wines, offering lovely drinking even early on.
Both the Corton-Charlemagne and the Corton-Bressandes were showing fine fruit and offered a fine glimpse of what the wines will be like, while the Romanee Saint-Vivant was very difficult to evaluate at this stage.
I’m looking forward to taste these wines when they develop further … I think there is a nice potential.
Notes from tasting March 19th 2015
The 2013s from Poisot was getting prepared for bottling in April, so a bit difficult to taste them at this stage. No note on the Pernand-Vergelesses en Caradeux 1er cru 2013, as the wine was very difficult to evaluate at this stage due to severe reduction.
The Corton-Charlemagne 2013 is a quite powerful wine, with it’s minerality and fresh acidity. Some reduction on the nose … but the bouquet indicates notes of melon, apple with hints of acacia and oak. On the palate quite firm and fresh, with a quite considerable weight on the midpalate. It’s focused, rich and airy … with a fresh and powerful acidity … another lovely Charlie in the making.
Corton Bressandes 2013
The Corton-Bressandes is showing a lovely potential with it’s refined and fruity expression of the Corton climate. The nose offer fine pure fruit – notes of elderberries, raspberries and some cassis, all brought forward by a fine vibrant mineral infused acidity. On the palate pure and lovely red and darkberry fruit – juicy with a fine nerve and energy from the 2013 acidity. A lovely Corton-Beessandes in the making,
The Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2013 also slightly reduced at this stage, but showing fine nuances of red and darkberry fruit and floral Vosne spices – notes of dark cherries and red currant. On the palate layers of intense pinot fruit, quite transparent with a lovely focusing freshness from the 2013 acidity and tannins. Will take quite some time to unfold, but really like midpalete fruit and the expression of terroir in this wine.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Poisot, Corton Bressandes 2012 January 18, 2015
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2007 February 25, 2014
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2008 February 23, 2014
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2006 February 22, 2014
- Domaine Poisot, Corton Bressandes 2007 February 21, 2014
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2008 February 1, 2014
- Domaine Poisot, Pernand-Vergelesses en Caradeux 1er cru 2012 September 10, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Corton Bressandes 2011 August 11, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Corton Bressandes 2012 August 9, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Corton-Charlemagne 2011 August 8, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Corton-Charlemagne 2012 August 6, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2011 August 3, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2012 August 3, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Corton Charlemagne 2010 March 5, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Corton Bressandes 2009 February 27, 2013
- Domaine Poisot, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2009 February 20, 2013
- Visit Domaine Poisot – tasting of 2013 and 2014 vintage Domaine Poisot is a quite “new” domaine run by the former navy captain Remi Poisot, who is now making wine from a fine portfolio of family vineyards. This was my second vist here, in the dark and very cold cellars under the beautiful Chateau Corton Grancy. Remi began making wines before the harvest in 2009, ...
- Burgundy Day Four … from Leroux to Poisot via Rheingau! The fourth day on my trip to Burgundy included three tastings .. Benjamin Leroux, Chantereves and Domaine Poisot. Here are some initial impressions .. tasting notes will follow. Benjamin Leroux – a fine selection of 2013s Benjamin Leroux is one of the most talented winemakers in Burgundy, and while this was my first visit at Maison Benjamin ...
- Tasting of Domaine Poisot 2012 from Cask Domaine Poisot is a “new” domaine run by the former navy captain Remi Poisot, who is now making wine from a fine portfolio of family vineyards. Remi began making wines before the harvest in 2009, and 2010 was his first full vintage – where he also did the work in the vineyards. The Poisot ...
- New producer on Romanee-Saint-Vivant – Domaine Poisot It’s rare to see new producers or owners on the big grand crus in Vosne Romanee, but during my work on the articles about Romanee-Saint-Vivant vineyard I discovered a new and for me unknown producer on this fine vineyard – Domaine Poisot. The story is however much more complex, as the history of the Poisot ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...