Great to be back at Domaine Jean-Marc Millot with Alix Millot taking a stronger and more prominent role at the estate – and clearly getting the room and freedom to make changes and improvements.
The 2017s here are as expected lovely and brimming with pinot pleasure … a notch up in quality and definition, given the vintage, and keeping the fine and delicate style of the estate intact.
A new wine is possibly in the pipeline – and will presumably be on the menu for the 2017 bottling – a new and extra cuvée of Echezeaux … the Echezeaux du Dessus – a special cuvée from the core of Echezeaux – more about this cuvée below.
From strength to strength
I have been impressed by the steady progress of Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, and the new energy Alix has brought to the estate in recent years …
The style with wines driven by pure pinot fruit, very elegant and transparent thus expressing the terroirs beautifully – is intact and strengthened.
The 2017s are nevertheless a tad lighter than the intense and concentrated 2015s and 2016s – yet not more than a welcomed variation of the vintages. Make no mistake – 2015 and 2016 are the bigger vintages though.
The 2017s here are enjoyable and vivid – offering what I’m looking for in a wine from Millot — i.e. pleasure, refinement and elegance.
While the 2016s and 2015s were vintages of considerable concentration, the 2017s offer more generous yields but perhaps even so energy wise. They will no doubt offer lovely drinking – and are therfore also highly recommended. Wines of hedonistic pleasure and enjoyment – Wines of plenty ..
Tasting notes for the 2017s from Jean-Marc Millot
All the wines showed well and it was great to find much more wine in the cellar in this vintage – around 30% higher yields than in the 2016 vintage – and even more in the top end.
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Bourgogne Rouge 2017
The Bourgogne rouge is showing delightful drinkability – less serious perhaps than the 2016s – and with a forward and joyful fruit. This is a wine of pleasure and purity … a pinot delight.
(Drink from 2019) – Good (85 – 86p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Savigny-Les-Beaune 2017
The Savigny is more spicy and with a vivid energy – drinking very well indeed. Enjoyable depth and length for this level .. fine vivid character.
(Drink from 2023) – Good+ (86 – 87p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Côte de Nuits Village “Aux Faulques” 2017
One of my favourites wines of Domaine Jean-Marc Millot representing tremendous value – the CdNV Aux Faulques from a terroir located in the center of Comblanchien – read more about the terroir . The 2017 vintage is lighter and more airy than the two previous vintages – and represent more easy drinking and more imminent pleasure. The two previous vintages could well be the bigger wines … but this is giving me as much pleasure in the short run – CHEERS
(Drink from 2023) – Very Good (87 – 88p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée 2017
The Vosne-Romanée is also showing the drinkable and expressive side – lovely ripeness and freshness. Love the generous sweet berries and the detailed fruit .. airy and spicy .. with plenty of Vosne pleasure and refinement. More lightfooted than the 2015, and more forward than the slightly more serious 2016. This is cheerful .. or even cheersful!
(Drink from 2026) – Fine (88 – 89p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots 2017
The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots struggle a bit to match the intensity of the two previous vintages – that being said nothing is missing – and the vivid energy of this vintages does make up for the slightly lower density. An airy and elegant Les Suchots in the making – plenty of charm and energy.
(Drink from 2027) – Fine++ (92 – 93p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Clos de Vougeot 2017
I think Domaine Jean-Marc Millot often brings forward the best in Clos de Vougeot – i.e. the refinement and the mineral elegance found in the top and perhaps the best part of the vinyard just below Grands Echezeaux. This is also the case with the 2017s Clos de Vougout – lovely lightness and drinkability – airy and elegant – 30% new oak giving a lovely balance and presence in the wine. Very well done!
(Drink from 2032) – Very Fine (93 – 94p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
The Echezeaux question
Alix Millot has produced two cuvées of Echezeaux in 2017 … firstly the “regular or classic” Echezeaux 2017 a refined and filigree wine – made from plots in Poulaillères, Echézeaux du Dessus and Clos St. Denis. And as something new – a cuvée made from a special plot in Echézeaux du Dessus with very old vines – planted in 1945.You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of the article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Jean-Marc Millot, Clos de Vougeot 2014 October 15, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Echezeaux 2014 October 15, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Cote de Nuits Village “Aux Faulques” 2014 September 30, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Bourgogne 2014 September 30, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Grands Echezeaux 2002 December 2, 2011
- Terroir View: Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Echezeaux “Cuvée 1949” One of the new special cuvées in Burgundy is the Echezeaux “Cuvée 1949” made by Alix Millot of Domaine Jean-Marc Millot. It’s a special cuvée made from the Echezeaux vineyard – or more precisely from the Echezeaux Dessus section – from a plot with very old wines. Lets take a closer look at the Echezeaux “Cuvée 1949” ...
- Visit Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2017s from cask Great to be back at Domaine Jean-Marc Millot with Alix Millot taking a stronger and more prominent role at the estate – and clearly getting the room and freedom to make changes and improvements. The 2017s here are as expected lovely and brimming with pinot pleasure … a notch up in quality and definition, given ...
- Visit Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2016s from cask Rising star, rising this and rising that ..!!.. as a wine journalist one have to find new estates as new stars and rising talents all the time. This is the way the trade works – but in fact we sometimes tend to forget the less flamboyant producers, who are producing excellent wines year after ...
- Visit Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2015s from cask Domaine Jean-Marc Millot is a Burgundian delight .. yet somehow I tend to forget and neglect these lovely wines – this must stop now! – these wines with such a joyful drinkability deserves a place in most collectors cellar. I always love to visit new estates – and while I know the wines from Jean-Marc Millot ...
- Terroir Insight: Jean Marc Millot Côte de Nuits Village Normally when I make Terroir Insights its the famous vineyards and often the classified terroirs. This is however not the case this week as I now head to Comblanchien just south of the Premeaux/Nuits-Saint-George appellation. I have … rarely … tasted wines from Comblanchien – or should I say never knowingly tasted wines from this small ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...