Second round of 2016s from Maison Joseph Drouhin .. to the whites ..
The tasting was conducted by Veronique Drouhin .. at the head office in Beaune – check also the article about the excellent red 2016s.
The whites are as the reds influenced by the difficult conditions in 2016 – mainly yields are low – due to both the frost and the mildew. So relatively large variation in yields from wine to wine … and presumably even within the plots used for the individual wines.
The good thing is that the overall quality is fine for the whites (as for the reds) but the style is showing some variation, as the changing yield levels are influencing the expression of the wines. See the vintage report for the white 2016 Burgundies for more info.
With a large portfolio like Drouhin wines have different roles or purposes, some are collectors items, others are wines made in relatively large quantities to be a predictable and reliable source of whites and reds for professionals.
In general I find the 2016s appealing and balanced with a nice freshness and energy after the rich and somewhat generous 2015s.
The white 2016s from Joseph Drouhin
I had the opportunity to taste the following whites at Joseph Drouhin – they do make more wines – but this is indeed a large selection of the wines. I also tasted a few wines from the Drouhin estate in Chablis – see comment below.
- Joseph Drouhin, Macon-Bussières Les Clos 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Saint-Vèran 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Poully-Vinzelles 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Rully Blanc 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Montagny 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Meursault 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Puligny-Montrachet 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Chassagne-Montrachet 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Puligny Montrachet Folatières 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Chassagne-Montrachet Embazées 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Beaune Clos des Mouches Blanc 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Meursault Les Perrières 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Chassagne-Montrachet Morgeot Marquis de Laguiche 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Corton Charlemagne Owned 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Montrachet Marquis de Laguiche 2016
Compared to other large producers Drouhin seem to have a fine consistency style wise seen over the lineup produced – not easy in a vintage like 2016 I might add.
The wines seem to be textbook examples of the different terroirs – often also showing a relatively gentle hand in the winemaking. The style is on the elegant and light-footed side, truly Burgundian – and not trying to make concentrated and big wines.
Starting out with the southern appellations … the Macon-Bussières Les Clos 2016, the Saint-Vèran 2016 and the Poully-Vinzelles 2016 are harmonious and balanced wines.
It’s quite impressive that Drouhin have managed to keep the elegant and pure style in these wines under the difficult conditions in 2016. Macon is really out of my range – but do find that the Rully and the Montagny are more within the normal habitat of Sus Scrofa Burgundia – also know as the Winehog. So this is where I will start … in Rully!You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the full article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Musigny 1993 March 30, 2018
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Le Montrachet Marquis de Laguiche 2015 March 30, 2018
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Musigny 2015 March 30, 2018
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Clos de Vougeot 2014 May 25, 2016
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Echezeaux 2014 May 25, 2016
- Joseph Drouhin, Meursault Goutte d’Or 1964 December 23, 2014
- Joseph Drouhin, Pommard Les Boucherottes 1962 December 21, 2014
- Joseph Drouhin, Vosne Romanee Petits-Monts 2007 October 9, 2011
- Terroir Insight: Joseph Drouhin Musigny Musigny is a relatively large vineyard yet the Musigny wines are becoming a very rare treat these days, as the demand for this illusive and mineral driven wine is increasing by the hour it seems. Until recently the Joseph Drouhin Musigny was unknown territory for me, but within the last few months I have had the ...
- Dégustation Prestige – Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru This year Grand Jours de Bourgogne included a Dégustation Prestige of Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru … as it did two years ago. It’s a tasting of around 20 wines from the Clos de Vougeot vineyard – this year with the oldest being a 1989 from Domaine Joseph Drouhin and the youngest being a 2008 from ...
- Visit Joseph Drouhin – tasting the red 2016s from cask Maison Joseph Drouhin is in my view among the very best of the large negociants in Burgundy these days. But to be honest – to speak about Maison and the associated Negociant term – is somehow both misleading and old fashioned – as this is very much a family and estate operation. Drouhin is still a negocaint ...
- Vineyard Insight: Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is the delight of Burgundy … filigree, sensual, cool and refined. The female pendant to Musigny with the same type of regal minerality – yet more delicate and lightfooted – without the sheer power and depth of the mighty Musigny. By heart it’s a 1er cru – and while many argue that it ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Mugnier Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses Les Amoureuses …. a name signaling passion and desire. It’s one of the most sought after wines in Burgundy – indeed difficult to find despite a quite healthy production from the multiple owners and quite a few negociants that also produce this seductive Chambolle 1er cru. One of the top interpretations of Les Amoureuses comes from ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...