Grands Echzeaux is one of the most prominent grand crus just below the top tire – meaning Romanee-Conti, La Romanée, La Tâche, Richebourg, Romanée Saint-Vivant, Richebourg and Musigny.
Grands Echezeaux is a brilliant terroir, and is perhaps even a bit overlooked, although new producer names on this vineyard have increased the focus on Grands Echezeaux.
Domaine d’Eugenie in Vosne-Romanée is one of the “new” names – taking over the position and vineyards from Rene Engell in 2006.
So lets take a closer look at the Grands Echezeaux of d’Eugenie.
Creating Domaine d’Eugenie
Domaine d’Eugenie was created by Francois Pinault in 2006, when he acquired the Rene Engel vineyards. Pinault, who also own Chateau Latour in Bordeaux, wanted to create a top Burgundy domaine, and the vineyards from Rene Engel was a beautiful start. The Domaine is as far as I know named after the grandmother of Francois Pinault.
Pinault was however in need of an estate where he could make the wine, and after producing the wines in a rented facility in Nuits-Saint-Georges he acquired the old and historic Frantin estate from Bichot. The village vineyard Clos Frantin was included in the deal, and in 2011 this vineyard was officially renamed to Clos d’Eugenie when the 2009 vintage was released from Domaine d’Eugenie.
Pinault has invested a lot in the Frantin estate, and the buildings have been renovated to the highest standards, and a new chai has been build behind the estate buildings – see photo below.
The history – Domaine Rene Engel
Founded by René Engel in 1919, the Domaine is located in Vosne-Romanée at the very heart of the Bourgogne viticole. René Engell was born in 1892 and twelve years later, his mother, also Eugenie, was widowed and then married Paul-Francois Faiveley .. presumably a distant relative to the Faiveleys in Nuits-Saint-Georges.
The couple pooled their vineyards and these vineyards were included in the formation of Domaine René Engel. These vineyards included some of the terroirs today know from Domaine d’Eugenie, while others were added by René Engel along the way.
Between 1919 and 2004, three men – René, Pierre and Philippe – succeeded each other, from father to son, to run the family’s vineyard, which includes some of the most prestigious Burgundian crus.
Sadly Philippe Engel died in a car accident in 2005 … and the vineyards including the Grands Echezeaux were then sold to Francois Pinault.
The Grands Echezeaux climate and location
The Grands-Echezeaux vineyard is located just above Clos des Vougeot, and below the core climates of Echezeaux – Les Poulailleres and Echezeaux du Dessus.
The total area of Grands Echezeaux is 9.14 ha, and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti owns 3.53 ha equivalent to almost 40% of the vineyard.
The other owners today are the following estates:
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – 3.5263 ha
- Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret – 1.4440 ha
- Domaine Thenard – 0.54 ha
- Domaine d’Eugenie – 0.50 ha
- Maison Joseph Drouhin – 0.47 ha
- Maison Henri de Villamont
- Domaine Gros Frère et Soeur – 0.3662 ha
- Domaine Desaunay-Bissey- 0.34 ha
- Domaine Lamarche – 0.3007 ha
- Domaine Georges Noëllat – 0.30 ha
- Domaine Clos Frantin – 0.25 ha
- Domaine Jean-Marc-Millot – 0.2015 ha
- Domaine Coquard-Loison-Fleurot – 0.1755 ha
- Domaine Robert Sirugue – 0.12 ha
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
- Visit Domaine d`Eugenie – tasting the 2017s Domaine d’Eugenie is a iconic producer in more than one sense. Firstly, Domaine d’Eugenie is made up in part of the iconic vineyards from the old Rene Engel estate in Vosne-Romanée. Secondly, Domaine d’Eugenie is the creation of Francois Pinault, the billionaire who since 2005 has build a new estate based on the former Engel ...
- Visit Domaine d’Eugenie in Vosne-Romanée My first visit at Domaine d’Eugenie in Vosne-Romanée … a lovely tasting of the 2017s with winemaker Michel Mallard. Delightful 2017s that underlines the steady progress of this estate – with more and more lively and precise wines. This is a very dynamic estate trying all efforts to ensure and improve quality – baie par baie ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine d’Eugenie Grands Echezeaux Grands Echzeaux is one of the most prominent grand crus just below the top tire – meaning Romanee-Conti, La Romanée, La Tâche, Richebourg, Romanée Saint-Vivant, Richebourg and Musigny. Grands Echezeaux is a brilliant terroir, and is perhaps even a bit overlooked, although new producer names on this vineyard have increased the focus on Grands Echezeaux. Domaine d’Eugenie ...
- Vosne-Romanee Clos d’Eugenie the unknown La Tache neighbour One of the new vineyard names in Burgundy is Vosne-Romanee Clos d’Eugenie – a small village monopole clos located just below La Tache and squeezed in between La Tache and Le Clos Goillotte. The vineyard has an interesting history … and was for many years known as Clos Frantin. We have to go back to the ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...