It seems like Laurent Ponsot is going to leave the family business Domaine Ponsot – and start his own estate together with his son.
Photo: Domaine Ponsot
Update to article
The development of this story does not currently provide a stable or consistent picture of the future situation. The latest interviw with Laurent Ponsot can be seen here
Latest news in the Laurent Ponsot story
According to Peter Hellman of Wine Spectator1 the new Laurent Ponsot estate – that will be launched in 2017 – will presumably start out with 7 reds, including Griotte Chambertin, Chambertin, Clos St. Denis and Chambolle Les Charmes, all made from vineyards owned by Domaine des Chezeaux in Gevrey-Chambertin.
Also according to Wine Spectator1 the new estate will start out with 9 whites, including Montrachet, Corton Charlemagne, and presumably also four 1er crus from Meursault.
In total the new estate will take over about 1/3 of production currently made by Domaine Ponsot
The new estate will be called Laurent Ponsot and is registered as a Négociant business.
Laurent Ponsot presumably still owns 25% of Domaine Ponsot, and there is currently no available information about current or future changes in the ownership of Domaine Ponsot.
I have not seen any information about the future plans for Domaine Ponsot and whom will be in charge now that Laurent Ponsot has left or is leaving the estate.
This is all very new, so expect more details as Laurent Ponsot reveals his plans.
A bit of background on Domaine Ponsot
Domaine Ponsot is owned by Laurent Ponsot and his sisters, Rose-Marie, Catherine and Stéphanie Ponsot. Domaine Ponsot currently produce a portfolio wines from both own vineyards and some vineyards they have in metayage from different owners.
A large part of these come from Domaine des Chezeaux in Gevrey-Chambertin – as they are the owner of the plots in Chambertin, Gritotte-Chambertin and Clos St. Denis. Ponsot have had these vineyards in metayage since 1982.
Laurent Ponsot began working at the family estate in 1981 gradually taking over from his father Jean-Marie Ponsot.
To be continued when I have further info!
- Terroir View: Hubert Lignier Clos de la Roche – a new cuvéeDomaine Hubert Lignier was one of first estates I visited when I began my quest to understand Burgundy. This was back in the late 1990s when Romain Lignier was making truly magnificent wines at Domaine Hubert Lignier. Sadly Romain passed away in an untimely fashion in 2004 and, while the years after this were somewhat turbulent, ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Ponsot ChambertinOne of the somewhat overlooked producers of the mighty Chambertin vineyard is Domaine Ponsot. It’s a magnificent Chambertin and while the Clos de la Roche and the Clos Saint-Denis are great wines – the Chambertin is perhaps the most elusive and complex wine in the Ponsot portfolio. The current question is however, what will happen to ...
- What we know: Laurent Ponsot to leave Domaine PonsotI’m an old and rather sentimental guy at times … and the Ponsot news was a deep cut in my Bungundy roots. The first Grand Cru Burgundies I bought were two bottles of Clos de la Roche 1988 from Domaine Ponsot and some of the next were two bottles of Griottes-Chambertin 1990. This was more ...
Lastest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot 2002 May 10, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Chapelle Chambertin 1999 May 9, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin 2008 September 28, 2017
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1993 February 15, 2016
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin 1998 November 2, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Chapelle Chambertin 1998 November 2, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1998 October 31, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2003 October 30, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1996 October 28, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Gevrey-Chambertin Cuvee l’Abeille 2007 March 30, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2012 March 10, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte-Chambertin 1999 February 15, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1999 February 14, 2015
- Domaine Ponsot, Gevrey-Chambertin Cuvee l’Abeille 2001 December 3, 2014
- Domaine Ponsot, Morey Les Alouettes 2011 March 10, 2014
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2011 February 27, 2014
- Domaine Ponsot, Chambolle Les Charmes 1999 August 25, 2013
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche Vieilles Vignes 2000 April 2, 2013
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot Vieilles Vignes 2010 March 1, 2013
- Domaine Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin 2002 October 18, 2012
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 1993 March 19, 2012
- Sips and Samples – week 43 – 2011 October 28, 2011
- Domaine Ponsot Morey Saint Denis Cuvee des Alouettes 1999 July 5, 2011