The more we taste, the more we learn and adjust. This week I tasted a broad line-up of Volnays at the Elegance de Volnay event; it was a perfect opportunity to compare and evaluate the village in terms of vins d’émotion.
The tasting confirmed some of my favourites: Domaine Thomas Bouley, Domaine de Montille, and Domaine de la Pousse d’Or – truly fine examples.
Domaine Y. Clerget was also in with a shout, but there were quite a number of other uplifting moments. Domaine Nicolas Rossignol and Domaine Lafarge showed very well. Domaine François Buffet surprised me thoroughly, and Domaine Marquis d’Angerville did very well – as expected (by some, at least).
Some of these producers are new to the emotional list, as I didn’t feel I had enough recent notes on the wines. But this event tipped the boat, and in a positive sense.
- Vins d’Emotion from Chassagne-Montrachet and St. Aubin
- Vins d’Emotion from Puligny-Montrachet
- Vins d’Emotion from Meursault
- Vins d’Emotion from Volnay and Pommard (Update)
- Vins d’Emotion from the Côte de Nuits – Off Piste
- Vins d’Emotion from Nuits-Saint-Georges – (New added)
- Vins d’Emotion from Vosne-Romanée and Flagey-Echezeaux
- Vins d’Emotion from Chambolle-Musigny and Vougeot
- Vins d’Emotion from Morey-Saint-Denis
- Vins d’Emotion from Gevrey-Chambertin
I have now classified producers from most of the villages on my way through Burgundy.
The upgraded Volnay and Pommard guide
– Producers from whom most wines qualify for a high emotional rating
Domaine de Montille
Domaine Thomas Bouley
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.