Domaine Faiveley has aquired 0.0980 ha of Musigny from the Nuits-Saint-Georges house Dufouleur Freres.
The new plot increases the Faiveley holdings of Musigny from 0.0338 ha to 0.1318 ha in total.
With this expansion of the area Faiveley will be able to increase the production of Musigny significantly from the 2016 vintage.
Location of the new Faiveley plot on Musigny
The Dufouleur plot (cadastre no 45) is located in the top northern part of the Musigny vineyard in the same section as the almost equally sized plot of Domaine Georges Roumier – see map below.
The old Faiveley plot (cadastre no 39) is even further north and located on the northern border of Les Musigny towards the 1er cru Les Borniques. Read the article about this plot here.
Looking closer at the plots we see that the new Faiveley plot is located just south of the plot of Domaine George Roumier (red line) and to the south we find one of the plots owned by Domaine de Vogüé – see map below.
Producers shown on the map:
- Domaine George Roumier
- Maison Louis Jadot
- Faiveley – previously Dufouleur Freres
- Domaine J.-F. Mugnier
- Domaine de la Vogeraie
- Maison Joseph Drouhin
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé
- Domaine Leroy
- Domaine Drouhin-Laroze
- Domaine Faiveley
Not all ownerships are confirmed .. so preliminary assignment of owners
History of the new Faiveley plot on Musigny
As mentioned Faiveley acquired the plot from Dufouleur Freres in Nuits-Saint-Georges.
According to the Dufouleur website the plot was presumably acquired between 1912 and 1930 …. as they write:
“The chateau of Nuits-Saint-Georges became the property of the family in 1912, and the domain then extended along the Côte de Beaune, with Clos de Corton, hard by the Côte de Nuits, and, among others, properties in Nuits-Saint-Georges, Chambertin, Échezaux, Clos-Vougeot and Musigny.
The 1930’s were the end of an era: following an unprecedented worldwide financial crisis and the arrival of a new generation, the two brothers separated their business affairs. Joseph, in the interests of his three sons Bernard, Hubert, and Jean, founded Maison Dufouleur Frères.”4
There are very few Dufouleur Musigny’s on the market, thus making it difficult to track the production – presumably there would however be more bottles on the market if all the production was bottled under the Dufouleur label.
Owners before Dufouleur Freres
I have so far no information about the ownership before Dufouleur, but if we go further back in time, the plot shares history with the almost similar sized Roumier plot located just north of the new Faiveley plot.
So let’s run through the documented ownership history of the plot … starting with the usual sources.
Lavalle 1 mentioned the following owners on Les Musigny in 1855 – Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé was strangely not mentioned as an owner on either Les Musigny or Les Petits Musigny by Lavalle.:
- de Montille
- Ferdinand Marey
- de Rothallier
- de Reulle
This list does however not give any direct information about the ownership of the new Faiveley plot on Musigny.
This information could however found on an old map from 1890 indicate that the new Faiveley plot was owned by Marie Vienot from Premeaux – see map below.
You need to login to read the rest of this article. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.