I have now updated the vintage charts for red and white Burgundy. There are a few changes in the ratings, with 2010 being upgraded a notch – and some other older vintages are also adjusted slightly.
The 2012 vintage is included for the reds – based on the wines I tasted in March 2013. It looks like a outstanding or perhaps even Extraordinary vintage for the reds in Cote de Nuits. Even the few red Cote de Beaune wines I have tasted from the 2012 vintage are showing a lovely potential.
The 2011 reds remain on a Very Fine rating, while the white 2011s merrit an Outstanding rating. The harmonious whites from 2011 really deserve a lot of credit – they can’t quite match the power and weight of the white 2010s – but they are currently more harmonious than many white 2010s.
The white 2010s have been upgraded to “Outstanding to Extraordinary” – they are great – but need time to show the full potential – most whites 2010s are however already more harmonious, than when they arrived on the market in 2012.
Vintage Chart Red Burgundy
|2012||Outstanding to Extraordinary||Cask|
|2006||Very Good to Fine||Taste/Keep|
|2004||Good||Taste/Drink||Green notes in some wines|
|2003||Poor to Fine||Taste/Keep||Very hot year|
|2001||Very Good to Fine||Taste/Drink|
Vintage Chart White Burgundy
|2010||Outstanding to Extraordinary||Keep/Taste||Classic|
|2006||Average to Good||Drink||High alcohol and some premox problems|
|2005||Very Fine+||Taste/Keep||Premox problems|
|2003||Poor to Average||Avoid||Very hot year|
|2002||Very Fine+||Drink||Premox problems|
|2001||Very Good+||Drink||Premox problems|
|2000||Very Fine+||Drink||Premox problems|
- The 2015 vintage – variations of greatness June 22, 2016
- Frost damage – one devestating night May 4, 2016
- Vintage Report – Burgundy 2013 vintage – update March 2015 March 22, 2015
- Vintage Report Burgundy 2013 – Update November 2014 November 8, 2014
- Initial impressions of the Burgundy 2013 vintage May 11, 2014
- Vintage Charts – update April 2013 April 27, 2013
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne 2012 March 20, 2012
- Tasting – Burgundy 2009 February 8, 2012