The Vosne Romanee Les Gaudichot is the relatively unknown neighbourg of the great La Tache vineyard. Collectors are however beginning to appreciate the Gaudichot terroir – and the demand for the few bottles made is rising year after year.
The history of Les Gaudichots is very interesting and to a great extend also the history of La Tâche, as a very large part of the current La Tâche vineyard was a part of Les Gaudichots before 1934.
Update 01/07/2014 -new bottlings from Roche de Bellene and Domaine du Palais added
History of Les Gaudichots
Les Gaudichots was a quite large before the majority of the vineyard was included in La Tâche. The map below show the original Gaudichot vineyard and the original La Tâche vineyard – often refered to as La Tâche Joly de Bévy.
The area of Gaudichots was 5.95 ha in 1855 according to Lavalle1, and the area of La Tâche was only 1.40 ha. Les Gaudichot was classified as Premiere Cuvee by Lavalle, just like Romanee Saint-Vivant, Malconsort, Grande Rue, Les Varroilles Sous Richeborg, Les Beaux-Monts, Combe-Brulee, Aux-Brulee and Les Suchots. La Tâche was classified as Tete de Cuvee as Romanee-Conti, La Romanee and Richebourg,
Owners of Les Gaudichots in 18551:
- MM. Lausseure
The original La Tâche was owned by Liger-Belair, and according to Lavalle also Lausseure – it’s however unclear if Lausseure actually owned a part of the original vineyard or just adjacent plots in Les Gaudichots.
During the last part of the 19th century Duvault-Blochet acquired large parts of the Gaudichots vineyard, and Jacques Chambon is mentioned as one of th principal owners by Rodier in 1920. Some sources6 say that these plots were acqured already in 1834, 1839, 1859, 1862 and 1866 – but Lavalle doesn’t mention Duvault as one of the principal owners in 1855. Other sources mention that Duvault-Blochet acquired a large plot from M. Morellet in 1862 and in 1866 a southern plot from M. Lausseure 8.
Based on this it’s likely that Duvault-Blochet acquired most of the Gaudichots plots after 1855. These plots are today included in Domaine de la Romanee-Conti monopole La Tâche.
Owners of Les Gaudichots in 1892 according to Danguy & Aubertin:
- M. Dr. Chanut
- M. le Comte Liger-Belair
According to Danguy and Aubertin there were two owners on La Tâche in 1892 – MM. les heriteres Duvault and M. le comte Liger-Belair. This was of course not the case, but it shows that Les Gaudichots – or at least the Duvault plots on Les Gaudichots were considered a part of La Tâche by the authors.
Owners of Les Gaudichots (5 ha 79 ares 65 cents) in 1920 according to Rodier:
- J. Chambon
- de Champeaux
La Tâche Joly de Bévy (1 ha 40 ares 5 cent) was according to Rodier owned 100% by Liger-Belair i 1920 – and DRC (J. Chambon) is only mentioned as owner om Les Gaudichots. It’s quite strange that Liger-Belair is not mentioned as a owner of Les Gaudichots in 1920, as it it’s mentioned by Meadows that they sold of plots of Les Gaudichots in 1934 and 1935 – to DRC and Thomas-Moillard6.
You need to login to read the rest of this article. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.