My second visit at Maison Harbour after the tasting the 2015s in January 2017 – and now it’s already time to taste the 2016s at this minuscule estate in Savigny-Les-Beaune.
Good to be back to see how these fine people are doing with their somewhat crazy endeavour …. and somehow relieved that they have been able to make some good wines in the 2016 vintage.
Make no mistake, I do like the 2016 vintage, but it has been a tough year for micro-negociants like Maison Harbour as they often are last in line to get some of the very small quantities produced. The April 2016 frost made it very difficult to source grapes for the small negociants who run a margin business.
Maison Harbour have luckily managed to make a nice lineup despite these difficulties – although a few wines sadly are missing due to the frost.
A bit about Maison Harbour
Maison Harbour is a relatively new negociant estate – established by Colleen and Nicholas Harbour – a couple that worked in the finance sector in Luxembourg prior to founding the Harbour estate. Colleen originate from Canada and Nicholas from US and they met in Luxembourg where they lived before moving to Burgundy in 2012.
So why Burgundy … aside from the love to wine and the area – the link to Burgundy and Savigny-Les-Beaune is that Nicholas spend many of his holidays in a family house in … you guessed it – Savigny-Les-Beaune.
So it is more than one summer fling – its a true love to the area and the wines … that brought Colleen and Nicholas to Savigny and to start this en endeavour.
The 2015s I tasted in January 2017 were quite impressive and I really like the style of the estate – see the article about the Maison 2015s here.
The wines of Maison Habour – the style
Maison Harbour made six wines in the 2016 vintage – three whites and three reds .. all made from grapes sourced from vignerons throughout the region.
The style for the reds seems perhaps to have changed ever so slightly towards a bit more color and structure relative to the 2015 vintage. The 2016s are also elegant and quite light-footed with a very fine display of terroir – perhaps less weighty than the 2015s, but they do seem to have a very good intensity compared to the 2015s.You need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Visit Maison Harbour, Tasting of the 2017s from cask Maison Harbour is one of the new and small negociants in Savigny-Les-Beaune – for those not familiar – a small village located outside of Beaune. I have followed Maison Harbour more or less since the beginning so have quite a detailed knowledge of the estate and the wines they are making. This is a really nice ...
- Burgundy .. 2017 and a look at 2018 The 2017s are now getting bottled in many estates, and its time to give a status, before the 2018s are ready to taste and evaluate. I have tasted quite a few 2017s over the past year – and some more in the last week – 11th to 15th of February. This has really confirmed the quality ...
- Maison Harbour – tasting of the whites Maison Harbour is a micro estate from Savigny les Beaune – but was visiting Copenhagen for the first time here in July. Visitor in July was Nicholas Harbour who was showing great form during his short stay here in Denmark. I have visited Maison Harbour two times within the last two years, and I yet felt ...
- Visit Maison Harbour, Tasting of the 2016s from cask My second visit at Maison Harbour after the tasting the 2015s in January 2017 – and now it’s already time to taste the 2016s at this minuscule estate in Savigny-Les-Beaune. Good to be back to see how these fine people are doing with their somewhat crazy endeavour …. and somehow relieved that they have been able ...
- Visit Maison Harbour, Tasting of the 2015s The fragrance of delicacy …. sometimes you never know what a producer visit in Burgundy will bring … and this was the case with Maison Harbour in Savigny-Les-Beaune. To be honest I always fear these visits – as I hate being put in a situation where I will have to write a negative review of some ...