I was doing a education session about Pommard with a private client, and he opened the the Pommard Epenots 2010 from Lucien Le Moine to accompany our talk about the Pommard and Volnay appellations – see more about the Winehog Education Sessions here. This wine is a perfect illustration of how austere and old school a Pommard can be – luckily some Pommards are more playful and enjoyable …
The 2010 Epenots is currently a brutal wine – still very tannic and backward with the intense fruit sleeping behind the firm structure of tannins and minerality. The nose offer dark fruit, plenty of structural information wheras the more charming fruit notes are held in the background. The palate is dominated by tannins and minerality – making it almost painful to enjoy currently. After some time in the glass the fruit expands and the tannins become more mellow. This is a wine that will need – I fear 20 years more in the cellar – to unfold fully – and somehow I believe it will acturally be even Very Fine when it does.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Lafouge, Auxey-Duresse Climat du Val 2016 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Vosne-Romanee “Les Barreaux” 2017 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Bourgogne Passetoutgrain rosé 2018 August 16, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Bourgogne Passetoutgrain rosé 2017 July 30, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos de Chateau 2009 July 26, 2019
- La Ferme de Saint Roux, Friponne rosé 2018 July 24, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Corton “Cuvée Baie par Baie” 2017 July 23, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Zenith Vineyard 2016 July 14, 2019
- Château-Grillet 2008 June 29, 2019
- Domaine d’Eugenie, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Perclos 2015 June 29, 2019
- Domaine Aurelien Verdet, Vosne-Romanée Les Beauxmonts 2017 June 25, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge Armstrong Vineyard 2016 June 17, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills, Bjornson Vineyard 2016 June 11, 2019
- Vincent Wine Company, Chardonnay Willamette Valley “Tardive” 2017 June 11, 2019
- Domaine Aurelien Verdet, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2017 June 10, 2019
- Domaine Jean-Pierre Maldant, Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru “Aux Fourneaux” 2017 June 1, 2019
- Domaine Jean-Pierre Maldant, Corton Les Grandes Lolières 2017 June 1, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot 2002 May 10, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Chapelle Chambertin 1999 May 9, 2019
- Laurent Ponsot, Meursault Charmes 2016 May 9, 2019
- Puligny Les Enseignères: Just below the grands crus Puligny Montrachet Les Enseignères caught my attention back in the mid-1990s when Coche-Dury acquired a piece of this now-illustrious village vineyard. Les Enseignères is, for non-collectors, a relatively unknown vineyard, located just below Bienvenue-Batard-Montrachet. While producing tremendous wines, it is perhaps somewhat over the top to claim that this vineyard is near grand cru quality-wise. It ...
- Visit Domaine Thomas-Collardot – tasting the 2018s from cask Domaine Thomas-Collardot was one of my favourite discoveries in 2018 – a relatively new and very small estate making interesting, vivid and pure wines in Puligny-Montrachet. Jacqueline Collardot and her son Matthieu have done it again in the warm and sunny 2018 vintage: They have managed to produce fresh and vivid wines from this hot year. ...
- The Riedel and Zalto partnership – August 2019 “I, Winehog, take thee, Riedel/Zalto, to be my wedded stemware, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge thee my faith.” This is ...
- Expected harvest dates.. The Burgundy harvest is always tricky, and predicting the start of harvest is difficult, as there is a significant variation in timing amongst the growers. According to my sources – different ones – harvest for most is likely to start around September10 for the whites, whereas start for the reds is set for September 15-20, ...
- Visit Domaine Michel Gaunoux … on a rainy day What can comfort you on a rainy day? The answer is pretty simple if you know the wines of Domaine Michel Gaunoux … “Then there was rain. The sky wore a veil of gold and gray. At night it was the bright of the moon with me. Time was just floating.” (Coldplay) The wines of Michel Gaunoux are sort of lost ...
- 21160 Couchey: Tasting Marsannay and Dijon wines from Domaine Derey I like to visit new estates and also to explore lesser-known villages. One could easily call Couchey a lesser-known village, as it is sold under the name of its better-known neighbour, Marsannay. Couchey is located just north of Fixin and south of Marsannay – and in this village we find Domaine Derey, an old estate founded ...
- Visit Domaine Henri Gouges, tasting the 2018s I was very impressed by the 2017s from Domaine Henri Gouges when I tasted the line-up in February. I was therefore eager to taste the 2018 vintage when I had the opportunity in July. Domaine Henri Gouges – Antoine Gouges – July 2019 The 2018s are from a hot year; yet with its new style, Gouges has ...
- Visit Domaine Morey-Coffinet, tasting the 2018 whites Some estates I visit often, others rarely; but first and foremost, I try to taste interesting wines for the benefit of the readers – and of my palate and pleasure! Morey-Coffinet is one of the estates I visit often, as I have a good relationship with the Danish importer and with Thibault Morey. I therefore have ...