I was doing a education session about Pommard with a private client, and he opened the the Pommard Epenots 2010 from Lucien Le Moine to accompany our talk about the Pommard and Volnay appellations – see more about the Winehog Education Sessions here. This wine is a perfect illustration of how austere and old school a Pommard can be – luckily some Pommards are more playful and enjoyable …
The 2010 Epenots is currently a brutal wine – still very tannic and backward with the intense fruit sleeping behind the firm structure of tannins and minerality. The nose offer dark fruit, plenty of structural information wheras the more charming fruit notes are held in the background. The palate is dominated by tannins and minerality – making it almost painful to enjoy currently. After some time in the glass the fruit expands and the tannins become more mellow. This is a wine that will need – I fear 20 years more in the cellar – to unfold fully – and somehow I believe it will acturally be even Very Fine when it does.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Ponsot, Clos de Vougeot 2002 May 10, 2019
- Domaine Ponsot, Chapelle Chambertin 1999 May 9, 2019
- Laurent Ponsot, Meursault Charmes 2016 May 9, 2019
- Laurent Ponsot, Griotte Chambertin “Cuvée du Saule” 2016 May 9, 2019
- William Fevre, Chablis Bougros Côte Bouguerots 2010 May 4, 2019
- Domaine J.-F. Mugnier, Nuits Clos de la Marechale 2013 May 4, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune Greves l’Enfant Jesus 2017 May 3, 2019
- Bruno Clavelier, Vosne-Romanee La Combe Brulee 2012 May 1, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Corton-Charlemagne 2017 May 1, 2019
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie, Vosne-Romanee “Les Barreaux” 2016 May 1, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Beaune Les Tuvilains 2017 April 26, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chevalier Montrachet 2017 April 25, 2019
- Domaine Dujac, Vosne-Romanée Aux Malconsort 2010 March 25, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Marsannay Clos du Roy 2017 March 7, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2016 March 6, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 March 6, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Bourgogne Blanc 2017 March 6, 2019
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2017 February 19, 2019
- Domaine Jacques Cacheux, Echezeaux 1999 February 9, 2019
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2004 February 8, 2019
- Terroir Insight: Domaine d’Eugenie Grands Echezeaux Grands Echzeaux is one of the most prominent grand crus just below the top tire – meaning Romanee-Conti, La Romanée, La Tâche, Richebourg, Romanée Saint-Vivant, Richebourg and Musigny. Grands Echezeaux is a brilliant terroir, and is perhaps even a bit overlooked, although new producer names on this vineyard have increased the focus on Grands Echezeaux. Domaine d’Eugenie ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Denis Mortet, Chambertin The king, the queen and the Chambertin knights .. or in more local terms .. Rousseau, Leroy, Dugat-Py, Ponsot and Denis Mortet … certainly some of the rare birds on the Burgundian vineyard maps. The Domaine Denis Mortet plot in Chambertin I have sometimes been somewhat reluctant regarding the rather extracted wines made in Gevrey-Chambertin in the ...
- Visit Domaine Hubert Lamy – tasting of the 2017 vintage It’s always a great pleasure to visit Domaine Hubert Lamy – where the dynamic Olivier Lamy always is working hard on improving the wines. Photo: Olivier Lamy focused and explaining One of the improvements made over the last 10 years is the extension of the elevage, from intially 12 months in 2006 to now 24 month – ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Jean Grivot, Echezeaux Echezeaux Les Cruots or if you like Echezeaux Les Vigne Blanches is one of the most interesting terroirs in the Flagey-Echezeaux part of Burgundy. Henry Jayer found this to be one of the best terroirs in the large Echezeaux grand cru – and Jayer apparently made a special Echezeaux cuvée from this vineyard. One of the most ...
- Terroir View: Hospice de Beaune, Echezeaux du Dessus “Jean-Luc Bissey” Hospice de Beaune have some quite prominent vineyards, and one is the relatively new Echezeaux du Dessus. The Hospice wines are getting increasingly expensive like most other Burgundies, and the Echezeaux is one of the most costly wines these days – together with the Clos de la Roche and Mazis-Chambertin cuvées. … still recall that ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux Echezeaux is a complex vineyard, and actually only quite a few of the wines that are produced from one climate within the large Echezeaux vineyard. Many are wines from two or even several areas in the Echezeaux vineyard. There are however some prominent single vineyard Echezeaux’s .. and one is the Echezeaux made by Charles Lachaux ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet, Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St. Jacques The Berthaut-Gerbet estate is today a large and very exiting producer, covering the vineyards of the former parental estates Domaine Denis Berthaut and Domaine Gerbet. There is however an additional part adding a few vineyards en fermage/en métayage to the Berthaut-Gerbet estate. One is the very rare Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St. Jacques the other is the Gevrey-Chambertin ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots Domaine Jean-Marc Millot have a strong lineup from Flagey-Echezeaux and even the northern end of Vosne-Romanée where we find the Millot plots in Les Suchots. The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots is a lovely wine in the Millot portfolio where it’s however somewhat surpassed by the magnificent three or should we sat four – the two Echezeauxs, ...