I was doing a education session about Pommard with a private client, and he opened the the Pommard Epenots 2010 from Lucien Le Moine to accompany our talk about the Pommard and Volnay appellations – see more about the Winehog Education Sessions here. This wine is a perfect illustration of how austere and old school a Pommard can be – luckily some Pommards are more playful and enjoyable …
The 2010 Epenots is currently a brutal wine – still very tannic and backward with the intense fruit sleeping behind the firm structure of tannins and minerality. The nose offer dark fruit, plenty of structural information wheras the more charming fruit notes are held in the background. The palate is dominated by tannins and minerality – making it almost painful to enjoy currently. After some time in the glass the fruit expands and the tannins become more mellow. This is a wine that will need – I fear 20 years more in the cellar – to unfold fully – and somehow I believe it will acturally be even Very Fine when it does.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Marsannay Clos du Roy 2017 March 7, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Vosne Clos du Chateau 2016 March 6, 2019
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 March 6, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Bourgogne Blanc 2017 March 6, 2019
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2017 February 19, 2019
- Domaine Jacques Cacheux, Echezeaux 1999 February 9, 2019
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2004 February 8, 2019
- Domaine Dujac, Bonnes Mares 2004 February 8, 2019
- Bruno Clavelier, Corton Rognets 2010 January 20, 2019
- Domaine Dujac, Bonnes Mares 1999 January 19, 2019
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Genevrieres 2007 January 18, 2019
- J.-F. Coche Dury Meursault 2007 January 14, 2019
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2012 January 7, 2019
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2001 January 7, 2019
- Domaine Georges Roumier, Chambolle Les Cras 1996 January 4, 2019
- Olivier Guyot, Clos Vougeot 2017 December 25, 2018
- Olivier Guyot, Gevrey-Chambertin Les Champeaux 2017 December 23, 2018
- Olivier Guyot, Marsannay “Les Favières” 2017 December 23, 2018
- Olivier Guyot, Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2017 December 23, 2018
- Domaine Glantenay, Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2017 December 20, 2018
- Domaine Moron-Garcia – without compromise .. On my trip to Burgundy in November I had the pleasure of visiting Domaine Moron-Garcia in Nuits-Saint-Georges – to taste some 2017s and 2018s (quick samples). I had only tasted Domaine Moron-Garcia once before, so this is a new estate – at least to me. Wine and people Domaine Moron-Garcia is managed by Matthieu Moron and Pierre-Oliver Garcia ...
- Domaine Henri Gouges Clos des Porrets-Saint-Georges Cuvee Hors d’Âge Domaine Henri Gouges is a famous and well known estate, and it seems like the Gouges family is taking new initiatives to create new exciting wines to develop the market and the appellation Domaine Henri Gouges – Antoine Gouges – February 2019 One such wine is the Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Porrets-Saint-Georges Cuvee Hors d’Âge – a wine ...
- Visit Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – tasting of the 2017s One of my favourite estates these days is the rising star Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – an estate going from strength to strength. Amélie Berthaut has taken over the vineyards of Domaine Berthaut in Fixin from her fathers side, and 2/3rds of the vineyards from Domaine Gerbet in Vosne-Romanée from her mothers family, and in addition she ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet, Echezeaux Echezeaux is a both large, diverse and in many contexts lovely vineyard, that provide a grand cru terroir for a large number of talented producers. One of the very talented owners of Echezeaux is Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet who owns a small but important part of the vineyard, as Amélie Berthaut has taken over the holdings of the ...
- Visit Domaine Henri Gouges: Tasting of the 2017s Domaine Henri Gouges is a famous and well known estate, but Gouges has somehow been overlooked by me .. and while I from time to time have tasted the wines … I never got around to visit. Domaine Henri Gouges – Antoine Gouges – February 2019 This trip was however different, as we had the pleasure of ...
- Visit Philippe Pacalet – tasting of the 2018s It’s still very early to taste the 2018s, and to make detailed tasting notes at this stage would in my view be premature. It is however great fun to taste the 2018s already now – to form an impression from the wines in general. A great place to be is then Maison Philippe Pacalet, as the ...
- Visit Domaine Grivot: Tasting of the 2017s from tank A new year and a new vintage – and back at Rue de la Croix Rameau .. looking forward to taste the Grivot 2017s. The 2016s showed very well in my view, with a lovely balance and intensity – the 2017 are somewhat lighter and more forward offering a more sunny and fresh style than the ...
- Exciting 2018s – but also issues and question marks The 2018 vintage is both very acclaimed but to degree also already somewhat notorious … one of the reasons why I don’t want to rate or comment the individual wines at this stage. I do find the 2018s exciting and with quite some potential – yet it’s still very early in most domaines. There is no doubt ...