One rarely have the chance to compare four of the very best wines from the Echezeaux vineyard. This was however the case earlier this week, where the Echezeaux 2007s from Grivot, Rouget, Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti were served in one flght at a Burgundy tasting.
These four produceres are, in my view, all among the very best on the Echezeaux vineyard – and quite evenly matched in most vintages. But how close are these wines directly compared – lets find out?!
A very close race indeed!
All three wines are still quite young and primary, and the DRC Echezeaux 2007 is somehow the most backward wine, while the three others are quite approchable.
The quality level of all four wines are very high for the vintage, and they are very evenly matched. My favorites at this point are Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti very closely followed by Grivot and Rouget … with each wine expressing different qualities … and slightly weak sides.
For me the Echezeauxs 2007 from Jean Grivot and Emmanuel Rouget are on the same level. Emmanuel Rouget offer a more openly knit structure, with a slightly less mineralic notes, and a somewhat more forward and unmanipulated fruit – lovely but perhaps lacking some focus and refinement.
The Grivot Echezeaux 2007 offer more mineralic focus and the wine is tighter with a better concentration than the Rouget wine. The concentration does however come at a price as the finish is showing a slight vegetal bitternes – it’s a very slight note but nevertheless noticeable after some time in the glass. That being said – this is a lovely Echezeaux.
In the top two – Domaine de la Romanee-Conti and Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – it’s a close race between two very different wines.
The Echezeaux 2007 from DRC seems quite lightfooted and organic compared to the three other wines. The nose is rather closed but is nevertheless showing very filigree red fruit aromas – indicating a quite low level of SO2. On the palate very focused organic fruit – intense – but refined and quite light compared to the other wines. Personally I love this style, but the somewhat strange notes of fennel/mint is somehow not adding to my pleasure – nevertheless a very seductive and refined effort.
Finally the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007 – a true beauty. It combines the power and mineralic focus of the Grivot, with some of the purity and refinement of the DRC Echezeaux. The terroir expression is excellent coming partly from the same terroir as the Grivot – Les Cruots – in my view one of the most interesting climates of the Echezeaux vineyard. The nose is wonderfully perfumed with Vosne spices and showing both power and refinement. On the palate the concentration equals that of the Grivot wine.
And the winner is
As mentioned earlier this is a very close race between four very fine wines – and it’s impossible to pick a clear winner.
In my view the most complete package is however the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007, as it currently combines power and refinement better than the ofther wines.
The winners are however the wine drinkers who will enjoy drinking these lovely wines. Firstly they are all very beautiful wines, secondly they offer a wide range of qualities – from the filigree refinement of the DRC to the mineralic power of the Grivot – and still they are very evenly matched quality wise.
Personally I was also very intrigued and seduced by the lightfooted, crystal clear and transparent Echezeaux from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti … but would happily drink all four wines again – bring them on!
Lastest Tasting Notes for this Vineyard
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 July 20, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Echezeaux 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 January 1, 2017
- Jean-Marc Millot, Echezeaux 2014 October 15, 2016
- Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg, Echezeaux 2015 July 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 July 7, 2016
- Hospices de Beaune, Echezeaux Cuvee Jean-Luc Bissey 2013 June 28, 2016
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Echezeaux 2014 May 25, 2016
- Cécile Tremblay, Echezeaux 2014 May 24, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Echezeaux 2014 May 23, 2016
- Bourchard Pere et Fils, Echezeaux 2014 May 22, 2016
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2010 April 28, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Echezeaux 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Jayer-Gilles, Echezeaux 1999 March 1, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Mongeard Mugneret, Echezeaux Grande Complication 2012 December 20, 2015
- Visit Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2016s from cask Rising star, rising this and rising that ..!!.. as a wine journalist one have to find new estates as new stars and rising talents all the time. This is the way the trade works – but in fact we sometimes tend to forget the less flamboyant producers, who are producing excellent wines year after ...
- Visit Domaine Julien – tasting of the 2016s from cask Domaine Julien … Étienne Julien … makes some intriguingly delightful wines. I really like the style, the energy and the lovely juiciness of these wines. As I taste these wines … from the 2013 vintage and onwards, I have started to appreciate or should I say enjoy the inner quality of these wines more and more. ...
- Visit: Benjamin Leroux – tasting of the 2015s Benjamin Leroux is one of the most talented winemakers of his generations. A few years back he resigned from his job as régisseur at Comte Armand, and is now focusing on this own negociant business in Beaune. Maison Benjamin Leroux was launched with the 2007 vintage, and has gradually been expanded over the years, and now ...
- Visit Domaine Julien – tasting of the 2015s from cask Cheerful, relaxed and yet intrigued … this are the emotions one gets when visiting Étienne Julien at Domaine Julien in Comblanchien. This also apply to the wines made here – they are energetic and vibrant with an effortless hedonistic note of being easy going. Like Étienne Julien the wines are however also sharp and focused … ...
- Visit Domaine Lamarche – tasting the 2015s from cask Preconceptions and old habits sometimes or even often leads to mistakes and this is also the case in Burgundy – especially in times of change. A lot of estates in Burgundy are taken over by new generations and this often leads to a change of style and better quality. The new generation often comes with a ...
- Visit Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – tasting of the 2015s from cask Sitting in my car writing these tasting notes, while I’m overlooking La Tâche .. -7.5 Celsius .. but with a inner warmth of the aftertaste of Romanée-Conti 2015 .. a truly memorable moment of Burgundian beauty. Just out from a lovely tasting of the 2015s from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti with Bernard Noblet the legendary cellarmaster. ...
- Visit Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2015s from cask Domaine Jean-Marc Millot is a Burgundian delight .. yet somehow I tend to forget and neglect these lovely wines – this must stop now! – these wines with such a joyful drinkability deserves a place in most collectors cellar. I always love to visit new estates – and while I know the wines from Jean-Marc Millot ...
- Visit Domaine Georges Noëllat – tasting of the 2015s from Cask Immense talent and effortlessness .. I always try to capture the core impressions and qualities of the estates I visit. I have followed Domaine Georges Noëllat since the 2011 vintage and have always been amazed by the effortless nature of the wines .. they are not forced, they are a natural expression of the unique talent ...