One rarely have the chance to compare four of the very best wines from the Echezeaux vineyard. This was however the case earlier this week, where the Echezeaux 2007s from Grivot, Rouget, Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti were served in one flght at a Burgundy tasting.
These four produceres are, in my view, all among the very best on the Echezeaux vineyard – and quite evenly matched in most vintages. But how close are these wines directly compared – lets find out?!
A very close race indeed!
All three wines are still quite young and primary, and the DRC Echezeaux 2007 is somehow the most backward wine, while the three others are quite approchable.
The quality level of all four wines are very high for the vintage, and they are very evenly matched. My favorites at this point are Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti very closely followed by Grivot and Rouget … with each wine expressing different qualities … and slightly weak sides.
For me the Echezeauxs 2007 from Jean Grivot and Emmanuel Rouget are on the same level. Emmanuel Rouget offer a more openly knit structure, with a slightly less mineralic notes, and a somewhat more forward and unmanipulated fruit – lovely but perhaps lacking some focus and refinement.
The Grivot Echezeaux 2007 offer more mineralic focus and the wine is tighter with a better concentration than the Rouget wine. The concentration does however come at a price as the finish is showing a slight vegetal bitternes – it’s a very slight note but nevertheless noticeable after some time in the glass. That being said – this is a lovely Echezeaux.
In the top two – Domaine de la Romanee-Conti and Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – it’s a close race between two very different wines.
The Echezeaux 2007 from DRC seems quite lightfooted and organic compared to the three other wines. The nose is rather closed but is nevertheless showing very filigree red fruit aromas – indicating a quite low level of SO2. On the palate very focused organic fruit – intense – but refined and quite light compared to the other wines. Personally I love this style, but the somewhat strange notes of fennel/mint is somehow not adding to my pleasure – nevertheless a very seductive and refined effort.
Finally the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007 – a true beauty. It combines the power and mineralic focus of the Grivot, with some of the purity and refinement of the DRC Echezeaux. The terroir expression is excellent coming partly from the same terroir as the Grivot – Les Cruots – in my view one of the most interesting climates of the Echezeaux vineyard. The nose is wonderfully perfumed with Vosne spices and showing both power and refinement. On the palate the concentration equals that of the Grivot wine.
And the winner is
As mentioned earlier this is a very close race between four very fine wines – and it’s impossible to pick a clear winner.
In my view the most complete package is however the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007, as it currently combines power and refinement better than the ofther wines.
The winners are however the wine drinkers who will enjoy drinking these lovely wines. Firstly they are all very beautiful wines, secondly they offer a wide range of qualities – from the filigree refinement of the DRC to the mineralic power of the Grivot – and still they are very evenly matched quality wise.
Personally I was also very intrigued and seduced by the lightfooted, crystal clear and transparent Echezeaux from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti … but would happily drink all four wines again – bring them on!
Lastest Tasting Notes for this Vineyard
- Domaine Anne Gros, Echezeaux 2011 January 27, 2018
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 July 20, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2015 July 13, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Dujac, Echezeaux 2015 July 8, 2017
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 June 28, 2017
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 January 1, 2017
- Jean-Marc Millot, Echezeaux 2014 October 15, 2016
- Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg, Echezeaux 2015 July 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 July 7, 2016
- Hospices de Beaune, Echezeaux Cuvee Jean-Luc Bissey 2013 June 28, 2016
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Echezeaux 2014 May 25, 2016
- Cécile Tremblay, Echezeaux 2014 May 24, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Echezeaux 2014 May 23, 2016
- Bourchard Pere et Fils, Echezeaux 2014 May 22, 2016
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2010 April 28, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Echezeaux 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Jayer-Gilles, Echezeaux 1999 March 1, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Visit Philippe Pacalet, tasting of the 2016s from cask I have followed the wines of Philippe Pacalet since his first vintages, more than 15 years ago. I have furthermore followed the wines he made at Domaine Prieure-Roch before he began on his own. Let me be prefectly clear – Philippe Pacalet is a tremendously gifted winemaker, with a quite unique talent for producing very drikable ...
- Visit Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – tasting of the 2016s from cask On a rainy and cold day in Burgundy it’s nice to focus on something positive and invigorating … and what could be better that a visit at Domaine de la Romanée-Conti tasting the latest vintage – 2016 in this case. The tasting this year was conducted by Alexandre Bernier, who also was in charge of the ...
- Visit Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – tasting of the 2016s from cask One of the rising stars of Burgundy is Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet. Amélie Berthaut has taken over the vineyards of Domaine Berthaut in Fixin from her fathers side, and 2/3rds of the vineyards from Domaine Gerbet in Vosne-Romanée from her mothers family, and in addition she has some rented vineyards in Gevrey-Chambertin from the Mercier family (Domaine ...
- Visit Domaine Lamarche – tasting the 2016s from cask My second visit at Domaine Lamarche – and eager to see if the 2016s could match the fine wines made here in the 2015 vintage. I was impressed by the 2015s, as I historically have found wines from this estate somewhat underwhelming, but in recent years new generations and new standards have been taking over .. ...
- Visit Domaine Faiveley – tasting of the 2016 vintage On my October 2017 yrip I had the opportunity to vist Domaine Faiveley to taste the 2016 vintage. As last time Erwan Faiveley conducted the tasting himself, choosing a fine but limited selection of the best wines in the huge portfolio of Faiveley wines. To taste the full portfolio is for me too comprehensive – so ...
- Visit Domaine Grivot: Tasting of the 2016s from cask Domaine Grivot seem to go from strength to strength making lovely and enjoyable wines. The 2015s showed very well indeed, with their generous and charming style. The 2016 vintage is quite another ballgame, as the April frost played a big role in how the individual wines have turned out. This is especially the case for ...
- Visit Domaine Georges Noëllat – tasting of the 2016s from Cask Domaine Georges Noëllat is one of my favourite estates these days – and it seems like Maxime Cheurlin is improving year after year. Wines are getting more detailed and the integration of the oak has improved over the years and is now seamless. Maxime and his neighbour Sebastien Cathiard are really upping the game – and ...
- Visit at Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg, tasting of the 2016s from cask The 2016 vintage is a paradox … some were almost untouched by the April frost whereas others lost a large part of the harvest – with vineyards and plots just meters away. Mugneret-Gibourg was one of the estates that really suffered during the April harvest – and while it’s equally sad for all estates that ...