One rarely have the chance to compare four of the very best wines from the Echezeaux vineyard. This was however the case earlier this week, where the Echezeaux 2007s from Grivot, Rouget, Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti were served in one flght at a Burgundy tasting.
These four produceres are, in my view, all among the very best on the Echezeaux vineyard – and quite evenly matched in most vintages. But how close are these wines directly compared – lets find out?!
A very close race indeed!
All three wines are still quite young and primary, and the DRC Echezeaux 2007 is somehow the most backward wine, while the three others are quite approchable.
The quality level of all four wines are very high for the vintage, and they are very evenly matched. My favorites at this point are Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti very closely followed by Grivot and Rouget … with each wine expressing different qualities … and slightly weak sides.
For me the Echezeauxs 2007 from Jean Grivot and Emmanuel Rouget are on the same level. Emmanuel Rouget offer a more openly knit structure, with a slightly less mineralic notes, and a somewhat more forward and unmanipulated fruit – lovely but perhaps lacking some focus and refinement.
The Grivot Echezeaux 2007 offer more mineralic focus and the wine is tighter with a better concentration than the Rouget wine. The concentration does however come at a price as the finish is showing a slight vegetal bitternes – it’s a very slight note but nevertheless noticeable after some time in the glass. That being said – this is a lovely Echezeaux.
In the top two – Domaine de la Romanee-Conti and Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – it’s a close race between two very different wines.
The Echezeaux 2007 from DRC seems quite lightfooted and organic compared to the three other wines. The nose is rather closed but is nevertheless showing very filigree red fruit aromas – indicating a quite low level of SO2. On the palate very focused organic fruit – intense – but refined and quite light compared to the other wines. Personally I love this style, but the somewhat strange notes of fennel/mint is somehow not adding to my pleasure – nevertheless a very seductive and refined effort.
Finally the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007 – a true beauty. It combines the power and mineralic focus of the Grivot, with some of the purity and refinement of the DRC Echezeaux. The terroir expression is excellent coming partly from the same terroir as the Grivot – Les Cruots – in my view one of the most interesting climates of the Echezeaux vineyard. The nose is wonderfully perfumed with Vosne spices and showing both power and refinement. On the palate the concentration equals that of the Grivot wine.
And the winner is
As mentioned earlier this is a very close race between four very fine wines – and it’s impossible to pick a clear winner.
In my view the most complete package is however the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007, as it currently combines power and refinement better than the ofther wines.
The winners are however the wine drinkers who will enjoy drinking these lovely wines. Firstly they are all very beautiful wines, secondly they offer a wide range of qualities – from the filigree refinement of the DRC to the mineralic power of the Grivot – and still they are very evenly matched quality wise.
Personally I was also very intrigued and seduced by the lightfooted, crystal clear and transparent Echezeaux from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti … but would happily drink all four wines again – bring them on!
Lastest Tasting Notes for this Vineyard
- Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg, Echezeaux 2015 July 15, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 July 7, 2016
- Hospices de Beaune, Echezeaux Cuvee Jean-Luc Bissey 2013 June 28, 2016
- Maison Joseph Drouhin, Echezeaux 2014 May 25, 2016
- Cécile Tremblay, Echezeaux 2014 May 24, 2016
- Domaine Etienne Grivot, Echezeaux 2014 May 23, 2016
- Bourchard Pere et Fils, Echezeaux 2014 May 22, 2016
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2010 April 28, 2016
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2014 March 14, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Echezeaux 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Jayer-Gilles, Echezeaux 1999 March 1, 2016
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 1993 February 15, 2016
- Mongeard Mugneret, Echezeaux Grande Complication 2012 December 20, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 July 11, 2015
- Domaine du Clos Frantin, Echezeaux 2012 July 11, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2008 July 4, 2015
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2009 July 2, 2015
- Domaine Jayer-Gilles, Echezeaux 2002 June 6, 2015
- Emmanuel Rouget, Echezeaux 2002 April 15, 2015
- Domaine Dujac, Echezeaux 2013 April 4, 2015
- Visit Domaine Grivot – initial impressions of the 2015s I have followed Domaine Grivot over the last 10 to 15 years and been very impressed by the progress since 2007. The quality has improved significantly every year, and the style has changed to a more refined and terroir driven expression of pinot. The 2014s were magnificent, and I was therefore delighted when I had the ...
- Visit Domaine Faiveley – tasting of the 2015 vintage My June trip to Burgundy included my first visit to Domaine Faiveley – and I was generously received by Erwan Faiveley, the dynamic and ambitious leader of the Faiveley estates. Faiveley has improved a lot over the last decade or so under the management of Erwan Faiveley, and within the last 5 vintages the quality has ...
- Visit – Domaine Georges Noëllat tasting of the 2014s from Cask Domaine Georges Noëllat has within a few years moved from the dark and unknown to a rising bright star on the Burgundy heaven. Maxime Cheurlin is in my view an unique talent … a natural .. with an intuitive ability for making great Burgundies. Within a few years he has managed to improve quality immensely … ...
- Domaine Bizot – tasting of the 2014 vintage Domaine Bizot is in my view one of the most exiting estates in Vosne-Romanee. Domaine Bizot is not your average Vosne producer as it’s run by Jean-Yves Bizot who has a academic backgound in Geology and this somehow shows in both the wines and the way the Domaine is managed. The wines have a certain intellectuel ...
- Impressions – Domaine Georges Noëllat 2014 Day 2 of 2014 tastings … a fine day indeed … and I was really looking forward to taste the 2014s from Maxime Cheurlin at Domaine Georges Noëllat – one of the very bright young stars in Burgundy. … and I was most certainly not disappointed! Domaine Georges Noëllat 2014s Maxime Cheurlin is only 24 ...
- Impressions Bizot, Liger-Belair and Cathiard 2014 Monday offered tastings of the 2014 vintage from three of my favorite Vosne-Romanee producers – Domaine Bizot, Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair and Domaine Cathiard. The tastings confirmed the loverly drinkability of the 2014s … the quality is high and this vintage should not be forgotten in the midst of the 2015 hype. Domaine Bizot My first visit here ...
- Visit – Domaine Georges Noëllat tasting of the 2013s from Cask Domaine George Noëllat is in my view possibly the brightest rising star in Burgundy currently … and Maxime Cheurlin has in three vintages managed more than many vignerons do in a lifetime quality wise. Photo: Maxime Cheurlin – Domaine Georges Noëllat I have followed the domaine in the last two vintages .. and I was very ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux Louis-Michel Liger-Belair is in my view producing one of the very best wines from the large and very diverse Echezeaux vineyard. First vintage was 2006 and quality improving year after year arriving at a truly outstanding level from 2010 and onwards. A very interesting wine in many ways … so lets take a closer look at the ...
- Echézeaux du Dessus – the heart of Echézeaux One of the first articles I made for this blog was an article about Echézeaux. While the article have been very popular with the readers, it really needs an update … so I have planned a series of articles about the Echézeaux vineyard. The first article is about the very the core of the Echézeaux vineyard ...
- Discovering Echézeaux in detail – the project! One of the first articles I made for this blog was an article about Echézeaux. While the article have been very popular with the readers, it really needs an update … so here we go. Echézeaux is a very large and complex vineyard, and its therefore impossible to make one article, that covers all the topics ...
- Terroir insight – Jayer-Gilles Echezeaux du Dessus This is a new format on the blog … articles where the location of the terroir of one wine is uncovered in depth and detail. First out is the Jayer-Gilles Echezeaux du Dessus, one of the relatively few single climate and single plot Echezeaux’s on the market. Climate and location The plot – cadastre no 631 – is ...
- Tasting of Philippe Pacalet 2011 from Cask – part 2 This is part two of my tasting notes from my visit at Philippe Pacalet. This article cover 2011 grand cru reds, and 2011 white Burgundies – all tasted from cask. Notes for village and 1er cru red 2011 can be found in Tasting of Philippe Pacalet 2011 from Cask – part 1. The red 2011 wines ...
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne – Improving quality The Grand Jours de Bourgogne is a very big event. There were 57 produceres at the Vosne Romanee tasting with around 200 wines – mostly from the 2010 vintage. At the same time tastings were held for Morey+Chambolle in Gilly, Nuit-Saint-Georges at NSG, and Gevrey Chambertin in Marsannay. In total more than 500 wines in ...
- Grand Jours de Bourgogne 2012 The Grand Jours de Bourgogne is the perfect chance to get an overview of a vintage. This year the fine 2010 vintage was on display. My tastings at Chateau Clos de Vougeot, in Gilly and in Nuit-Saint-Georges gave a somewhat blurred picture of the 2010 vintage. Quite a lot of wines are still on cask, ...
- Echezeaux – Grand cru standard? Echézeaux is one of the largest grands crus of the whole Côte d’Or. It’s divided into a number of plots or climats the vineyard, located around the smaller Grands-Echézeaux. I have tasted some very good bottles of Echezeaux, but also some very poor bottles where only the label was an indication of its grand cru status. ...