One rarely have the chance to compare four of the very best wines from the Echezeaux vineyard. This was however the case earlier this week, where the Echezeaux 2007s from Grivot, Rouget, Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti were served in one flght at a Burgundy tasting.
These four produceres are, in my view, all among the very best on the Echezeaux vineyard – and quite evenly matched in most vintages. But how close are these wines directly compared – lets find out?!
A very close race indeed!
All three wines are still quite young and primary, and the DRC Echezeaux 2007 is somehow the most backward wine, while the three others are quite approchable.
The quality level of all four wines are very high for the vintage, and they are very evenly matched. My favorites at this point are Liger-Belair and Domaine de la Romanee-Conti very closely followed by Grivot and Rouget … with each wine expressing different qualities … and slightly weak sides.
For me the Echezeauxs 2007 from Jean Grivot and Emmanuel Rouget are on the same level. Emmanuel Rouget offer a more openly knit structure, with a slightly less mineralic notes, and a somewhat more forward and unmanipulated fruit – lovely but perhaps lacking some focus and refinement.
The Grivot Echezeaux 2007 offer more mineralic focus and the wine is tighter with a better concentration than the Rouget wine. The concentration does however come at a price as the finish is showing a slight vegetal bitternes – it’s a very slight note but nevertheless noticeable after some time in the glass. That being said – this is a lovely Echezeaux.
In the top two – Domaine de la Romanee-Conti and Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair – it’s a close race between two very different wines.
The Echezeaux 2007 from DRC seems quite lightfooted and organic compared to the three other wines. The nose is rather closed but is nevertheless showing very filigree red fruit aromas – indicating a quite low level of SO2. On the palate very focused organic fruit – intense – but refined and quite light compared to the other wines. Personally I love this style, but the somewhat strange notes of fennel/mint is somehow not adding to my pleasure – nevertheless a very seductive and refined effort.
Finally the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007 – a true beauty. It combines the power and mineralic focus of the Grivot, with some of the purity and refinement of the DRC Echezeaux. The terroir expression is excellent coming partly from the same terroir as the Grivot – Les Cruots – in my view one of the most interesting climates of the Echezeaux vineyard. The nose is wonderfully perfumed with Vosne spices and showing both power and refinement. On the palate the concentration equals that of the Grivot wine.
And the winner is
As mentioned earlier this is a very close race between four very fine wines – and it’s impossible to pick a clear winner.
In my view the most complete package is however the Liger-Belair Echezeaux 2007, as it currently combines power and refinement better than the ofther wines.
The winners are however the wine drinkers who will enjoy drinking these lovely wines. Firstly they are all very beautiful wines, secondly they offer a wide range of qualities – from the filigree refinement of the DRC to the mineralic power of the Grivot – and still they are very evenly matched quality wise.
Personally I was also very intrigued and seduced by the lightfooted, crystal clear and transparent Echezeaux from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti … but would happily drink all four wines again – bring them on!
Lastest Tasting Notes for this Vineyard
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2008 October 4, 2014
- Domaine Forey Père et Fils, Echezeaux 2012 August 27, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2013 July 31, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2012 July 19, 2014
- Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg, Echezeaux 2011 June 1, 2014
- Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg, Echezeaux 2012 May 25, 2014
- Cecile Tremblay, Echezeaux 2012 May 19, 2014
- Cecile Tremblay, Echezeaux 2011 May 18, 2014
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Echezeaux 2012 April 28, 2014
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2011 February 19, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2011 January 28, 2014
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2007 January 19, 2014
- Domaine du Clos Frantin, Echezeaux 2012 December 11, 2013
- Domaine Jayer-Gilles, Echezeaux 2002 October 31, 2013
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2012 October 27, 2013
- Emmanuel Rouget, Echezeaux 2007 October 18, 2013
- Emmanuel Rouget, Echezeaux 1998 October 16, 2013
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Echezeaux 2010 July 12, 2013
- Philippe Pacalet, Echezeaux 2012 June 17, 2013
- Domaine de la Romanee-Conti, Echezeaux 2002 May 23, 2013
- Visit – Domaine Georges Noëllat tasting of the 2013s from Cask Domaine George Noëllat is in my view possibly the brightest rising star in Burgundy currently … and Maxime Cheurlin has in three vintages managed more than many vignerons do in a lifetime quality wise. Photo: Maxime Cheurlin – Domaine Georges Noëllat I have followed the domaine in the last two vintages .. and I was very ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Echezeaux Louis-Michel Liger-Belair is in my view producing one of the very best wines from the large and very diverse Echezeaux vineyard. First vintage was 2006 and quality improving year after year arriving at a truly outstanding level from 2010 and onwards. A very interesting wine in many ways … so lets take a closer look at the ...
- Echézeaux du Dessus – the heart of Echézeaux One of the first articles I made for this blog was an article about Echézeaux. While the article have been very popular with the readers, it really needs an update … so I have planned a series of articles about the Echézeaux vineyard. The first article is about the very the core of the Echézeaux vineyard ...
- Discovering Echézeaux in detail – the project! One of the first articles I made for this blog was an article about Echézeaux. While the article have been very popular with the readers, it really needs an update … so here we go. Echézeaux is a very large and complex vineyard, and its therefore impossible to make one article, that covers all the topics ...