Poetic … I was thinking poetic on my way up the hill from Vougeot to Chambolle to taste the 2015s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé with winemaker Francois Millet.
I tasted the 2015s before the malolactic fermentation in June 2016 and now I had the opportunity to taste these magnificent wines again after the completion of the malo.
Expectations were high as I turned right at the church and saw the entrance to Vogüé … these wines are truly special in the 2015 vintage.
These are indeed fantastic wines as they are cool for the year and still offering the full hedonistic generosity of the vintage. This is a vintage build for the limestone soil south of the Chambolle vintage and it has produced some outstandingly great Vogüé wines from both Musigny and Les Amoureuses .. and even the wines from north of the village – Bonnes Mares and the Chambolle Musigny village are brimming with freshness.
The 2015s from Vogüé … impressions
The 2015 vintage is a generous vintage with abundant fruit and a charming character .. it’s a bit like a perfectly chilled and clear summer day .. a sense of decadent expressive richness .. but still fresh and very transparent.
The fruit of the 2015 vintage is very juicy indeed at Vogüé, so generous and balanced. In my view the perfect match for the big mineral driven terroirs of Chambolle. A vintage like this also suits the regal Vogüé style .. as it ads some lush and slightly sensual generosity to the wines.
I have upgraded the rating a bit for some of the Vogüé wines … they are that great.
Notes from tasting November 7th 2016
The wines have been tasted twice .. once in June before malo and once after the completion of the malo.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2015
The Chambolle village is a true beauty in the making. The nose offer generous red fruit – very vibrant fruit with a nice floral touch and brought forward by a intense minerality On the palate rich fruit for this level .. very generous mid-palate of ripe and energetic fruit – intense, transparent and beautifully balanced. True class – a big village in the making – perhaps the best village I have tasted so far from Francois Millet.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2015
The Chambolle 1er cru – made from the young wines on Grand Cru Musigny – is a magnificent wine, offering a range of the qualities found in it older brother the mighty Musigny. In the bouquet richer and sweeter notes of strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate and red currant with hints of blueberries. The limestone minerality is more forward in the wine, and again we find this wonderful delicate and cool sorbet fruit aromas – so fresh and vibrant. On the palate more weight with layers of red fruit, and a vibrant backbone from the mighty Musigny terroir. A giant 1er cru in the making
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015
The Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses is a truly gorgeous and magnificent wine. The bouquet is bursting with ravishing sensual red sorbet like fruit – cool floral and intensely mineral driven. Delicate pomegranate, blackcurrant, blackberry and redcurrant fruit spiced with peony rose and a vibrant limestone minerality. On the palate long, intense and focused with a rich and sensual mid-palate fruit – very mineral driven and focused. Does not rival the Musigny for weight and power … but a truly outstanding effort.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015
The Bonnes Mares is a beauty offering a lot of layered fruit and charm already at this stage. In the nose generous red and darker fruits – blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate and red currant – spiced with a forward expression of earthy minerality – quite expressive and floral for a red soil Bonnes Mares. On the palate layers of deep and rich fruit .. very pure, zappy and fresh .. with a quite outstanding focus and refinement. In my view one of the best Bonnes Mares I have tasted so far from Vogüé … so perhaps a masterpiece in the making.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015
The Musigny 2015 is a mighty wine .. In the nose red and dark fruit .. blueberries, pomegranate and red currant – brought forward by a very intense floral minerality. On the palate very long, intense and balanced .. the mid-palate fruit is exuberantly lavish, zappy and energetic … but still tremendously focused by the very intense and powerful minerality of the Musigny terroir. The fruit is generous and rich, yet cool and very transparent. In my view the birth of a great Musigny – Extraordinary in the sense of the word … this is what legends are made of!
I also tasted the white Vogüé produced from plots in Grand Cru Musigny and has since 1994 been sold as Bourgogne Blanc. UPDATE March 2017 – It has now been decided that the 2015 will be sold as Musigny Blanc.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny/Bourgogne Blanc 2015
The white from Musigny shares the style and minerality from it’s red brother from this vineyard. The energy is the same, and while the fruit is generous and lavish with quite some exotic fruit in the bouquet it still has some of the same juicy freshness offered by the red wines. This wine is not structured like other whites … it’s structured like a Musigny with it’s inherent powerful energy. Yes it’s a rich white .. but beautifully focused and energized by the mighty limestone minerality of the terroir. The acidity is sufficient and the fine PH is doing a fine job balancing the freshness.
Winehog RecommendationsYou need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 1970 October 9, 2018
- A happy return to the 2009s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé October 7, 2018
- Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017 before and under malo October 1, 2018
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses 2008 December 10, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015 October 19, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015 October 11, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015 October 9, 2017
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Musigny Blanc 2015 October 8, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny Blanc 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2015 July 26, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2013 March 16, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2001 January 1, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2003 December 29, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1998 October 31, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2006 October 21, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2007 October 21, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 1986 September 19, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2008 August 14, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 1999 April 28, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Bourgogne Blanc 2001 April 28, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2014 March 11, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2007 January 30, 2016
- Visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of the 2016s Vogüé time .. tasting of the 2016s from bottle in Copenhagen + a few extra wines to add even more pleasure to the day. As usual Jean-Luc Pepin is in Copenhagen for this early premier of the vintage .. what a treat. Depressing quantities but magnificent quality Just a recap .. Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé lost ...
- Traditions makes history .. the essence of Burgundy .. Vogüé Sometimes it’s important to step back from the stressed everyday life, and appreciate, enjoy and be grateful. The annual Vogüé week as we can call this event – or rather series of events – has come to define the Burgundy year in Denmark, and with that a important part of the Burgundian tradition in Denmark. The tradition ...
- Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017 before and under malo I have the privilege of tasting wines from Comte Georges de Vogüé both before and after the malolatic fermentation and furthermore also after bottling in Denmark the year after. This process is very interesting and educational, as this does show a lot regarding the development of the wines from cask. In some year the wines are ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares – update Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé is one of the most prominent estates in Burgundy, and the Musigny Vieilles Vignes is one of the most legendary wines produced in the region. While de Vogüé also is the largest owner of Bonnes Mares this wine seems strangely overlooked, although it’s in my view is one of the very ...
- Visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of the 2016s from cask On my October trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to retaste the 2016s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – to confirm the impressions I had when tasting the wines before malo in March 2017. Vogüé are benchmark wines for me, as I have tasted most recent vintages from either cask or bottle – or ...
- First round of visits October 2017 The October trip is a shorter stop before the main round of tastings in start November 2017. I do have some exiting new names on the program here in October alongside some of my favorites I have visited before. First out – Domaine de la Cras – an estate located just outside Dijon – on the Côte ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Vineyard Insight: Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is the delight of Burgundy … filigree, sensual, cool and refined. The female pendant to Musigny with the same type of regal minerality – yet more delicate and lightfooted – without the sheer power and depth of the mighty Musigny. By heart it’s a 1er cru – and while many argue that it ...