Poetic … I was thinking poetic on my way up the hill from Vougeot to Chambolle to taste the 2015s from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé with winemaker Francois Millet.
I tasted the 2015s before the malolactic fermentation in June 2016 and now I had the opportunity to taste these magnificent wines again after the completion of the malo.
Expectations were high as I turned right at the church and saw the entrance to Vogüé … these wines are truly special in the 2015 vintage.
These are indeed fantastic wines as they are cool for the year and still offering the full hedonistic generosity of the vintage. This is a vintage build for the limestone soil south of the Chambolle vintage and it has produced some outstandingly great Vogüé wines from both Musigny and Les Amoureuses .. and even the wines from north of the village – Bonnes Mares and the Chambolle Musigny village are brimming with freshness.
The 2015s from Vogüé … impressions
The 2015 vintage is a generous vintage with abundant fruit and a charming character .. it’s a bit like a perfectly chilled and clear summer day .. a sense of decadent expressive richness .. but still fresh and very transparent.
The fruit of the 2015 vintage is very juicy indeed at Vogüé, so generous and balanced. In my view the perfect match for the big mineral driven terroirs of Chambolle. A vintage like this also suits the regal Vogüé style .. as it ads some lush and slightly sensual generosity to the wines.
I have upgraded the rating a bit for some of the Vogüé wines … they are that great.
Notes from tasting November 7th 2016
The wines have been tasted twice .. once in June before malo and once after the completion of the malo.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2015
The Chambolle village is a true beauty in the making. The nose offer generous red fruit – very vibrant fruit with a nice floral touch and brought forward by a intense minerality On the palate rich fruit for this level .. very generous mid-palate of ripe and energetic fruit – intense, transparent and beautifully balanced. True class – a big village in the making – perhaps the best village I have tasted so far from Francois Millet.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2015
The Chambolle 1er cru – made from the young wines on Grand Cru Musigny – is a magnificent wine, offering a range of the qualities found in it older brother the mighty Musigny. In the bouquet richer and sweeter notes of strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate and red currant with hints of blueberries. The limestone minerality is more forward in the wine, and again we find this wonderful delicate and cool sorbet fruit aromas – so fresh and vibrant. On the palate more weight with layers of red fruit, and a vibrant backbone from the mighty Musigny terroir. A giant 1er cru in the making
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2015
The Chambolle Musigny Les Amoureuses is a truly gorgeous and magnificent wine. The bouquet is bursting with ravishing sensual red sorbet like fruit – cool floral and intensely mineral driven. Delicate pomegranate, blackcurrant, blackberry and redcurrant fruit spiced with peony rose and a vibrant limestone minerality. On the palate long, intense and focused with a rich and sensual mid-palate fruit – very mineral driven and focused. Does not rival the Musigny for weight and power … but a truly outstanding effort.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2015
The Bonnes Mares is a beauty offering a lot of layered fruit and charm already at this stage. In the nose generous red and darker fruits – blueberries, blackberries, pomegranate and red currant – spiced with a forward expression of earthy minerality – quite expressive and floral for a red soil Bonnes Mares. On the palate layers of deep and rich fruit .. very pure, zappy and fresh .. with a quite outstanding focus and refinement. In my view one of the best Bonnes Mares I have tasted so far from Vogüé … so perhaps a masterpiece in the making.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny 2015
The Musigny 2015 is a mighty wine .. In the nose red and dark fruit .. blueberries, pomegranate and red currant – brought forward by a very intense floral minerality. On the palate very long, intense and balanced .. the mid-palate fruit is exuberantly lavish, zappy and energetic … but still tremendously focused by the very intense and powerful minerality of the Musigny terroir. The fruit is generous and rich, yet cool and very transparent. In my view the birth of a great Musigny – Extraordinary in the sense of the word … this is what legends are made of!
I also tasted the white Vogüé produced from plots in Grand Cru Musigny and now sold as Bourgogne Blanc. It is still undecided if the white will be classified as Bourgogne Blanc or Musigny Blanc in the 2015 vintage, but a blanc from Musigny it is.
Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny/Bourgogne Blanc 2015
The white from Musigny shares the style and minerality from it’s red brother from this vineyard. The energy is the same, and while the fruit is generous and lavish with quite some exotic fruit in the bouquet it still has some of the same juicy freshness offered by the red wines. This wine is not structured like other whites … it’s structured like a Musigny with it’s inherent powerful energy. Yes it’s a rich white .. but beautifully focused and energized by the mighty limestone minerality of the terroir. The acidity is sufficient and the fine PH is doing a fine job balancing the freshness.
Winehog RecommendationsYou need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2001 January 1, 2017
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2003 December 29, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1998 October 31, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2006 October 21, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2007 October 21, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 1986 September 19, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2008 August 14, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 1999 April 28, 2016
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Bourgogne Blanc 2001 April 28, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2014 March 11, 2016
- Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2014 March 11, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2007 January 30, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2002 January 24, 2016
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Les Amoureuses 2013 October 11, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2013 October 11, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2013 October 8, 2015
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Bourgogne Blanc 2013 October 6, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny Vieilles Vignes 1984 October 6, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle 1er cru 2013 October 5, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2013 October 5, 2015
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2002 April 11, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Bonnes Mares 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Les Amoureuses 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 1er cru 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle Musigny 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Comte de Vogüé, Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2002 February 11, 2015
- Matching the big crus – from Chambolle to Le Chambertin One rarely taste four evenly matched grand crus from the top end on a saturday afternoon. This was nevertheles the case today when Clos de Tart, Bonnes Mares from Vogüé and Roumier were opened with the Chambertin from Trapet. All wines were from the 2013 vintage .. young – surprisingly open and forward on this fine ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of 2014s Vogüe week …. one of the treats of the year. Each year, Vinrosen, the Danish importer arrange a tasting of the new vintage from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé. The wines are presented by Jean-Luc Pepin the manager of Domaine de Vogüe – it’s a very fine tradition which began more than 12 years ago. All ...
- Burgundy day one and two … the truly delightful 2015 vintage I’m now on day two of my June Burgundy trip .. five magnificent tastings so far – Domaine Michéle et Patrice Rion, Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüè, Domaine Heitz-Lochardet. Domaine Jean Grivot and Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg. It’s very humid in Burgundy .. more rain today … and the forecast say more rain in the following days … ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé is one of the most prominent estates in Burgundy, and the Musigny Vieilles Vignes is one of the most legendary wines produced in the region. While de Vogüé also is the largest owner of Bonnes Mares this wine seems strangely overlooked, although it’s in my view is one of the very ...
- Vineyard Insight: Musigny – ownership maps Musigny is in my view one of the greatest Grand Crus in Burgundy rivalling at least some of the Grand Crus of Vosne-Romanee. While Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé is the dominant owner on Musigny with almost 70% of the vineyard, the rest of the vineyard is divided between 10 owners. The Musigny Grand Cru has ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of 2014s from Cask On my November trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé for a tasting of the 2014 vintage from cask. It’s always a treat to taste at Comte de Vogüé, and to hear Francois Millet explain the vintage in his own philosophical way … for me it usually set the ...
- Impressions – Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé 2014 Day 2 of 2014 tastings … Maison Chantereves in Savigny Les Beaune, Domaine Georges Noellat in Vosne-Romanee, Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé and Domaine Bertheau in Chambolle-Musigny. These tastings confirmed the loverly drinkability of the 2014s … the quality is high and this vintage should not be forgotten in the midst of the 2015 hype. Domaine Comte ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of 2013s from Cask On my November visit to Burgundy I had the opportunity to visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé for a tasting of the 2013 vintage from cask. The Vogüé tasting is sort of a benchmark tasting for me, as this is one of the very first estates I visited in Burgundy back in the late 1990s. It’s ...
- Burgundy November 2014 – Day Two Three fine visits today in Vosne, Chambolle and Saint-Aubin. Still very rainy in Burgundy with minor floodings of roads, cellars and vineyards. Visit at Domaine Georges Noellat First visit .. Maxime Cheurlin at Domaine Georges Noellat .. the in my view brightest star among the new winemakers in Burgundy. The 2013s from George Noellat confirm the very high ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé is by far the largest owner of Musigny – they own more than 7 ha equivalent to almost 70% of this magnificent grand cru located just north of Chateau Clos de Vougeot. Musigny is to a large extend Comte de Vogüé and the Comte de Vogüé name is very much linked ...
- In the glass – 2011 vs 2012 red Burgundy I was very impressed and delighted when I tasted the 2012 reds from cask, and recent tastings of the first 2012s from bottle more than confirm the very positive first impressions. This week we had a modest and relaxed lunch at Restaurant Enomania in Copenhagen, and we had a few top end 2011s and some ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – History and Vineyards I have followed Burgundy wines quite closely the last 20 to 25 years – tasting a lot of lovely wines from many different domaines. One domaine does however hold a special place in my passion for Burgundy wines – the name is Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – a domaine with history, great vineyards, passion and ...
- Twelve vintages of Comte de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru I have followed Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé closely for quite many years now and always enjoyed the Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru for its minerality and expression of Chambolle terroir. In a sense the Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru has become a benchmark wine for me in Chambolle, as I each year taste it from cask and from bottle ...
- Tasting of Comte de Vogue 2012 from cask On my September trip to Burgundy I had the opportunity to visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé to taste the 2012 vintage from cask. My expectations were very high when I arrived at Vogüé – but I must say that the 2012 vintage exceeded even my highest expectations – the 2012 wines from Vogue are stunningly ...
- Tasting of Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue 2011 from Cask On my October visit to Burgundy I had the opportunity to visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé for a retaste of the 2011 vintage from cask. The first tasting in May 2012 was done before the malolactic fermentation, and this late October tasting was done after thet completion of the malo. Notes from tasting October 25th, 2012 The ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogué 2010 vintage One of the annual wine highlights is the October tasting of the new vintage from Domaine Comte Georges de Vogué. This year was no exception, and the expectations were very high, as the 2010 vintage is one of my favorite vintages in Burgundy – and I was not disappointed. As usual the wines were introduced by ...
- One year with the WineHog Time really flies … and it’s now exactly one year since I launched WineHog.org in Juliy 2011. During this year I realized that blogging about fine wine is quite a lot of hard work, but fortunately also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I have tasted a lot of good wines during the first year, ...
- First impressions of Comte de Vogue 2011 On my recent visit to Burgundy we had the opportunity to visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé. to taste the 2011 vintage from cask. It’s always very nice and interesting to visit Jean-Luc Pepin and Francois Millet at Domaine Vogue, and this visit was no different. The tasting however was somewhat different from the tastings on ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...