I have not had the opportunity to visit Domaine Fourrier since the 2015 vintage, so I was delighted to be back to taste the 2018s.
I like the Fourrier wines, with their forward and apparent fruity pleasure. They are perhaps not the most concentrated or powerful wines, but their gorgeous fruity character appeals to my hedonistic soul.
The 2015s here were perhaps slightly hot, and I feared the 2018s would also be on the hot side. My fears were unfounded, however – aside from one or two cuvées. The 2018s at Domaine Fourrier are magnificent.
Visit to Domaine Jean-Marie Fourrier
We had a lovely tasting at Fourrier in late May, as his assistant took his time to explain things, and also to serve also some of the negociant wines; a great tasting actually.
The Fourrier estate is a large operation these days with quite a sizeable negociant business. All the wines are similar style-wise, yet there are some differences between the domaine and the negoce wines. I will explore this a bit further in another article shortly, covering the top negociant wines.
Notes from the tasting on May 24th, 2019
All the wines below were tasted from cask in the cellars of Domaine Fourrier.
Domaine Fourrier Morey-Saint-Denis Clos Solon 2018
As usual, first up was the Morey-Saint-Denis Clos Solon, the entry-level village wine in the Fourrier line-up. This is a wine offering all the basic qualities of the estate – yet somewhat on the darker side. In principle, not the ideal terroir for this rather hot vintage, yet it somehow works. The nose offers a generous range of red and dark berry fruits and a fine expression of the earthy minerality of the Solon terroir. A very good village, although slightly on the hot side.
(Drink from 2026) – Very Good – (88 – 89p) – Tasted 24/05/2019
Domaine Fourrier Chambolle-Musigny Vieilles Vignes 2018
The Chambolle-Musigny is more at home in 2018 with its limestone minerality and red fruit. Vivid and vibrant, it shows the best side of both the estate and the vintage. It’s lighfooted, yet with very fine intensity and depth. Quite stunning depth, and a nice mineral impression; very enjoyable.
(Drink from 2027) – Very Good+ – (90 – 91p) – Tasted 24/05/2019
Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes 2018
The entry-level Gevrey is the Vieilles Vignes from vines with an average age of 60 years. Fine depth, with a great profundity for this level. The bouquet offer layers of red and dark berry fruit – quite vibrant and juicy with nice, filigreed minerality. On the palate, plenty of juicy fruit; generous with fine length and balance.
(Drink from 2026) – Very Good – (89 – 90p) – Tasted 24/05/2019
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Lastest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Chambertin Les Goulots 2013 March 11, 2017
- Domaine Fourrier, Griotte-Chambertin 1999 August 12, 2016
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Chambertin Clos St. Jacques 2002 September 13, 2015
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Chambertin Les Cherbaudes 2011 January 30, 2015
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Les Cherbaudes 2012 July 15, 2014
- Domaine Fourrier, Morey-Saint-Denis Clos Solon 2011 January 14, 2014
- Domaine Fourrier, Bourgogne Blanc 2011 January 12, 2014
- Visit Jean-Marie Fourrier, tasting the 2018 negociant wines Jean-Marie Fourrier also produces a range of negociant wines, from various top-end Burgundy vineyards. The wines are labeled Jean-Marie Fourrier (not Domaine Fourrier, like the estate wines – see the two different labels below). There is huge interest in the Fourrier wines, thus also in the negociant wines, and I have received a number of questions regarding ...
- Visit Domaine Jean-Marie Fourrier, tasting the 2018s I have not had the opportunity to visit Domaine Fourrier since the 2015 vintage, so I was delighted to be back to taste the 2018s. I like the Fourrier wines, with their forward and apparent fruity pleasure. They are perhaps not the most concentrated or powerful wines, but their gorgeous fruity character appeals to my hedonistic ...
- Visit Domaine Fourrier tasting the 2018s Friday offered a very interesting visit at Domaine Fourrier in Gevrey-Chambertin. My last visit to Fourrier was tasting the 2015 vintage – and I must say that the 2018s here are perhaps even a greater success – as most of the wines here are in the cool and vivid end of the 2018s – a ...