Expectations .. Domaine Fourrier is one of the most acclaimed producers today, and the Clos Saint Jacques is one of his top wines. So expectations were quite high when we opened the 2002 Clos Saint Jacques this week – allthough bearing in mind that the quality of Fourrier (in my view) has improved tremendously since 2002.
The 2002 Clos Saint Jacques is a quite delicate and slightly fragile wine … quite advanced for it’s age and level. The nose is expressive with a range of lovely complex sous-bouis notes, cherries, truffle – very filigree and earthy. On the palate quite lightfooted, transparent and delicate with a nice focusing acidity. It’s certainly not a big wine for the vintage and terroir, but the delicacy and the micro complexity is fine. It’s light yet quite intense in a filigree way – but I’m sure some would be disappointed over the lack of power. I’m however quite delighted .. a lovely delicate Burgundy moment.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Chambertin Les Goulots 2013 March 11, 2017
- Domaine Fourrier, Griotte-Chambertin 1999 August 12, 2016
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Chambertin Clos St. Jacques 2002 September 13, 2015
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Chambertin Les Cherbaudes 2011 January 30, 2015
- Domaine Fourrier, Gevrey Les Cherbaudes 2012 July 15, 2014
- Domaine Fourrier, Morey-Saint-Denis Clos Solon 2011 January 14, 2014
- Domaine Fourrier, Bourgogne Blanc 2011 January 12, 2014