Domaine George Noëllat is in my view possibly the brightest rising star in Burgundy currently … and Maxime Cheurlin has in three vintages managed more than many vignerons do in a lifetime quality wise.
I have followed the domaine in the last two vintages .. and I was very impressed by the quality when I tasted the 2012s at Grands Jours de Bourgogne in March 2014.
It was however my first visit to Domaine George Noëllat and was generously received by Maxime Cheurlin … the young and very talented winemaker at this fine old Domaine.
A bit of background on Domaine Georges Noëllat
The Noëllat name is well known in Vosne-Romanee and the family is one way or another involved in quite many domaines, as the family also is related to the Jayer family.
The Georges Noëllat domaine originate from the Ernest Louis Eugene Noëllat side of the family .. just as Domaine Cecile Tremblay and Domaine Michel Noëllat1.
Ernest Louis Noëllat was the son of Felix Noellat and the brother of the more well known Charles Felix Noellat1. Ernest Louis Noëllat was married to Eugene Esther Fournier in 19061. The couple had two sons before Ernest-Louis sadly was killed during the first world war. The youngest son was named Georges Roger Noëllat1 (1914 – 1982) and he was the founder of Domaine Georges Noëllat.
Georges was married to Marcelle Lorillard and they had two children, a son Bernard Noëllat, and a daughter Marie-Thérése Noëllat (1940 – )1. When Georges Noëllat passed away in 1982 his widow took over the Domaine until 1986.
The daughter Marie-Thérése was married to Jacques Cheurlin a Champagne producer – the grandfather of Maxime Cheurlin1. The couple had two children Patrice and Francis Cheurlin (1964 -) , the father of Maxime. Jacques Cheurlin and Marie-Thérése took over after Marcelle Noëllat in 1986 but after their divorce Marie-Thérése took over the running of the estate in 19913. From 1990 to 2009 most of the production was sold to Drouhin and Jadot2.
The son Francis Cheurlin had two children Maxime and his sister Anne-Cecile Cheurlin. In 2010 Maxime Cheurlin took over the winemaking and the running of the Georges Noëllat estate … i.e. the first vintage in the new era is 2010. Maxime was only 20 years old when he in 2010 began his journey at Domaine Georges Noëllat … very impressive indeed.
Overall impressions of the 2013s from Georges Noëllat
The 2013s from Maxime Cheurlin are delightful wine … following the style and quality offered in the excellent 2012s.
While the 2012s are silky and enchanting the 2013s are more energetic and acidity driven adding new dimensions to the refined and silky style.
The wines are delicate, refined and offer a lot of pleasure and drinkability. The level of transparency is very fine offering a lovely display of terroir in all the wines. They are intense but still lightfooted and effortless in the best possible sense …. both Maxime and the wines are indeed related to the grand master Henri J!
Tasting Notes from tasting on November 4th 2014
All the wines were tasted from either steel tank or cask at the estate on November 4th, 2014 – under the guidance of Maxime Cheurlin.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2013
The Nuits-Saint-Georges village is slightly reduced and a bit difficult to evaluate currently … was moved from cask to tank two weeks previously. In the nose lovely dark fruits … fine somewhat earthy minerality lurking in the background. On the palate lovely transparency and a nice midpalate fruit. Fine energy and nerve from the crisp acidity. A lovely NSG village in the making.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee 2013
The Vosne-Romanee village 2013 from George Noellat is a beauty in the making. In the nose red and dark fruit, lovely Vosne spices and a notch of oak. On the palate fine and delicate fruit – transparent with a lovely verve and energy. Oak a bit forward … moved from cask to tank two weeks previously. Not a big and dense village .. but love the refinement and the silky intensity. Delicate and well balanced.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee Les Chaumes 2013
A wine from the best view in Vosne … or to be more precise from the plot located just above and next to the garden of Domaine George Noëllat … overlooking La Tache. This is one of the best location on Les Chaumes and that is indeed showing in this wine. The bouquet is bursting with Vosne spices and minerality … infusing the juicy fruit. On the palate a step up from the village in weight and intensity, but it shares the transparent and delicate expression of pinot fruit. Love the fine expression of terroir and the energetic acidity – this combined with the silky and delicate fruit driven style … gorgeous. A truly lovely Les Chaumes … with a view.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne Romanee Petits Monts 2013
Up the slope to the more airy Vosne-Romanee Les Petits Monts. In the nose fine cool fruit … more floral with a delightful play between fruit, oak and minerality. On the palate very delicate and vibrant mineral driven fruit. The refinement and delicacy of the Petits Monts terroir is lifting this wine to another level of filigree pleasure. The fruit is intense without being weighty … love the focus in the precise mineral driven finish. Textbook Les Petits Monts … have a soft spot for this delightful wine.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges Boudots 2013
Moving over to the dark side ….. to the somewhat more robust Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Boudots. In the nose darker and more weighty fruit … lovely slightly eathy minerality .. slightly reduced not giving a lot of details to work with currently. On the palate more substantial and weighty than the Petits Monts .. but nevertheless quite refined and delicate. A lovely Boudots in the making.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Cras 2013
Ok I may be a bit biased here .. I love the Aux Cras terroir. In the bouquet lovely red and dark berry fruit airy and brought forward by a energetic minerality. On the palate quite rich and very vibrant with a lovely pure and refined midpalate fruit and a playful minerality – so typical of this delightful terroir. Love the energy in this wine … and although it lacks a bit of the filigree refinement of Les Petits Monts … its a gorgeous glass of pinot.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux-Monts 2013
The Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux-Monts is a step up in quality. In the bouquet rich red and dark fruit .. notes of black currant and boysenberries … supported by a intense minerality and a healthy dose of oak. On the palate rich, intense and airy with a wonderful energy from the 2013 acidity. Love the lacy and lavish feel of the fruit .. a delightful glass.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Echezeaux 2013
Moving just down slope to Les Cruots we find the terroir of the Echezeaux. In the nose more floral and expressive (20% whole cluster) with layers of airy fruit and a quite intense minerality. On the palate more red fruit .. layered, very juicy and energetic. The acidity and the minerality offer a lovely verve and energy and the fruit is intense without being weighty or dense. The finish persistent and refined – A beautifully balanced and complex effort .. from one of my favorite climates within Echezeaux.
Domaine Georges Noëllat, Grands Echezeaux 2013
The Grands Echexeaux is quite a step up in quality from the lovely Echezeaux. In the nose deep layered red and dark berry fruit spiced with hints of cinnamon, violets and coffee. On the palate deeper and more layered fruit … refined but more weighty than the other wines. A classic Grands Echezeaux with a effortless openly knit grandeur. Love the balance and energy here … adore the silky and lavish fruit … build for indulgence, pleasure and magnums!
References & Sources:
- Noëllat family tree – by Kenneth McNamara
- Domaine Georges Noëllat – by Le Serbet
- Domaine Georges Noëllat – Cave de Prestige
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Bourgogne 2014 April 12, 2017
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee 2013 June 4, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux-Monts 2013 March 28, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Grands Echezeaux 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Echezeaux 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne Les Beaux-Monts 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Cras 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges Boudots 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne Romanee Petits Monts 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee Les Chaumes 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee 2014 March 8, 2016
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Grands Echezeaux 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Echezeaux 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee Les Beaux-Monts 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Cras 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges Boudots 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne Romanee Petits Monts 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee Les Chaumes 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Vosne-Romanee 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noëllat, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2013 April 4, 2015
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Vosne Les Chaumes 2012 May 7, 2014
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Vosne-Romanee 2012 May 1, 2014
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Vosne Les Beaux Monts 2012 April 30, 2014
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Grands Echezeaux 2012 April 29, 2014
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Echezeaux 2012 April 28, 2014
- Domaine Georges Noellat, Vosne Les Petits Monts 2012 April 27, 2014
- Visit Domaine Georges Noëllat – tasting of the 2016s from Cask Domaine Georges Noëllat is one of my favourite estates these days – and it seems like Maxime Cheurlin is improving year after year. Wines are getting more detailed and the integration of the oak has improved over the years and is now seamless. Maxime and his neighbour Sebastien Cathiard are really upping the game – and ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Visit Domaine Georges Noëllat – tasting of the 2015s from Cask Immense talent and effortlessness .. I always try to capture the core impressions and qualities of the estates I visit. I have followed Domaine Georges Noëllat since the 2011 vintage and have always been amazed by the effortless nature of the wines .. they are not forced, they are a natural expression of the unique talent ...
- Burgundy Impressions November 2016 – part 2 Domaine Georges Noëllat in Vosne-Romanee Maxime Cheurlin is one of the most talented producers in Burgundy – and he has produced some beautiful and energetic 2015s. The lineup offered a few new wines – and they were just as the more reknown appellations very balanced and seductive. Maxime Cheurlin and his two lovely dogs in front of ...
- Visit – Domaine Georges Noëllat tasting of the 2014s from Cask Domaine Georges Noëllat has within a few years moved from the dark and unknown to a rising bright star on the Burgundy heaven. Maxime Cheurlin is in my view an unique talent … a natural .. with an intuitive ability for making great Burgundies. Within a few years he has managed to improve quality immensely … ...
- Impressions – Domaine Georges Noëllat 2014 Day 2 of 2014 tastings … a fine day indeed … and I was really looking forward to taste the 2014s from Maxime Cheurlin at Domaine Georges Noëllat – one of the very bright young stars in Burgundy. … and I was most certainly not disappointed! Domaine Georges Noëllat 2014s Maxime Cheurlin is only 24 ...
- Visit – Domaine Georges Noëllat tasting of the 2013s from Cask Domaine George Noëllat is in my view possibly the brightest rising star in Burgundy currently … and Maxime Cheurlin has in three vintages managed more than many vignerons do in a lifetime quality wise. Photo: Maxime Cheurlin – Domaine Georges Noëllat I have followed the domaine in the last two vintages .. and I was very ...
- Burgundy November 2014 – Day Two Three fine visits today in Vosne, Chambolle and Saint-Aubin. Still very rainy in Burgundy with minor floodings of roads, cellars and vineyards. Visit at Domaine Georges Noellat First visit .. Maxime Cheurlin at Domaine Georges Noellat .. the in my view brightest star among the new winemakers in Burgundy. The 2013s from George Noellat confirm the very high ...