Sips and Samples is a new format on Winehog.org. The idea is to present wines in a more informal way. This could be wines outside our areas, or wines tasted under relaxed or less than optimal conditions.
This week offered a tasting of some interesting wines. These wines were opened for a tasting the evening before, so I was tasting the leftovers approx 24 hours after the bottles were opened. Not optimal conditions … but still usefull.
Chateau Rayas Blanc 2000
As many know I’m not a big fan of Rhone wines, thus these wines are rarely rated on winehog.org. The Rayas 2000 Blanc is however a fine wine. Very crisp on the palate, with a quite full body and good structure. Was prefect on day two … so give it a few years more in the cellar. Very Fine.
Ponsot, Clos de la Roche 2004
Very vegetal in the bouquet, and even so on the palate. Was reported better the evening before, but still this wine really need time to unfold. But will it ever shed the green notes and get some charming sweet pinot notes – I have my doubts. But in the case of Ponsot it’s worth waiting for. Not Rated.
Comte de Vogue, Bonnes Mares 2000
Very refined dark pinot aromas in the nose, but lacling some sparkle in the fruit. On the palate also very elegant but a bit on the dark side. Need some time to release some sweet notes. At the moment very nice, but not charming. Fine.
Hubert Lignier, Clos de la Roche 1996
The 1996 Clos de la Roche from Hubert Lignier was fantastic in its youth – one of the best young Lignier wines I have tasted. Has been closed for years but is now beginning to show. The bottle had been open for 24 hours, still this wine was slightly closed. In the bouquet tar, mineral and dark fruits. On the palate, quite dominant acidity but also a full body to match. Very good length, and balance – need 10 years more to unfold completely. Outstanding.
Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch, Berncastler Doctor Kabinett 1992 #1093
A quite legendary wine from the master Norbert Breit ( currently at Wegeler). The auktion kabinett from the relatively light 1992 vintage, is a really great kabinett. Was a bit faded after 24 hours, but still impressive – was guessing aution Spätlese or even a small Auslese. Fine minerality from the fantastic Doctor vineyard with the classic grape notes. Very Fine.
- Sips and Samples #6 – Madeira GaloreI’m not a Madeira expert, and I rarely drink Madeira of high quality. This weeks tasting was however very special, as we had several very good and very old Madeiras on the tasting program. We had a total of six Madeiras, 5 was bottled before world war 2 by the Danish importer Schalburg, the last bottle ...
- Sips and Samples #5 – New Year 2011Celebrating the New Year is associated with good friends, nice food and a lot of good wines. This year was no exception, as quite many good bottles was on the table. We always taste the some of the wines while preparing the food. Some of the wines are tasted at the table …. thus making detailed ...
- Sips and Samples #4 – Magnum GaloreWines are made for drinking … not tasting … !. While I taste a lot of wines blind, I still prefer to enjoy the wines with good friends, without to much blind tasting. The ideal scene is good food, a group of friends and plenty of wine. For this purpose magnum bottles are perfect. So ...
- Sips and Samples #3 – for better and for worstThe last two weeks have offered some very nice wine from the area outside our normal wine districts. Some were – surprisingly – good, while one proved to be one of the most awfull wines I have ever tasted. For better Starting with the positive stuff – two Italian wines worth mentioning! Giacomo Conterno 1996 Barolo Cascina ...
- Sips and Samples #2 – Pain and PleasureOne tasting this week … Languedoc 2005 and Mosel Auslese 2001. What a mix of “pain” and pleasure! The Tasting was held on November 1st 2011 in Copenhagen. Languedoc 2005 I must say I find it very hard to appreciate red Languedoc wines, and this occation was sadly no exception. In my opinion red Languedoc are good ...
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.