Chambertin Clos de Bèze is a large vineyard with some prominent yet somehow a bit under the radar wines from otherwise known producers. One such is Domaine Prieure-Roch in Premeaux – owned by one Henri Frédéric Roch.
To avid Burgundy collectors this name has a certain ring to it – and since it’s printed on the labels of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, there is indeed something special about the gentleman from Premeaux.
Henri-Frédéric Roch is the son of the late Pauline Roch, the older sister of Mme Bize-Leroy, and he is furthermore the co-gérant at Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – hence representing the Leroy side of the DRC ownership.
Henri Roch founded his Domaine Prieuré Roch estate in 1988 with vineyards from different sources – including amongst others some from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – Vosne-Romanée Clos Goilliotte, Vosne Romanée Les Suchots to name two.
Henri Roch also expanded the estate with a substantial plot of Chambertin Clos de Bèze … and now run a quite large and prominent estate in Premeaux alongside his family interest in Domaine de la Romanée-Conti.
The Roch Clos de Béze is considered as the top cuvée of the Prieuré Roch estate – and is among the most costly of the wines from this magnificent grand cru – but somehow not among the most well known wines from Chambertin Clos de Bèze.
So lets go to the very core of Chambertin Clos de Bèze!
The vineyard Chambertin Clos de Bèze
Chambertin Clos de Bèze is located between Gevrey-Chambertin and Morey-Saint-Denis – more specifically between the Grand Crus Mazis-Chambetin and Le Chambertin – see map below.
This is a large vineyard – in total 15.40 ha, divided between 16 owners according to Jasper Morris. There are however quite many negociant wines from Clos de Bèze .. so a quite large and diverse portfolio of producers.
You need to login as a premium subscriber to read the full article. If you are not a premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
- Terroir Insight: Prieure Roch, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Argilliéres One of my favourite vineyards in Nuits-Saint-Georges is Les Argilliéres or Clos des Argilliéres – a 1er cru located in the center of Premeaux at the southern end of the Nuits-Saint-Georges appellation. It’s not the most well known of the the Premeaux 1er crus – and perhaps not producing the biggest or for that matter not ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Prieuré-Roch Chambertin Clos de Bèze Chambertin Clos de Bèze is a large vineyard with some prominent yet somehow a bit under the radar wines from otherwise known producers. One such is Domaine Prieure-Roch in Premeaux – owned by one Henri Frédéric Roch. To avid Burgundy collectors this name has a certain ring to it – and since it’s printed on the ...
- Terroir Insight: Prieuré Roch, Clos de Corvées One of the best wines from the Nuits-Saint-Georges appellation is in my view the Clos de Corvées from Domaine Prieuré Roch – a special cuvee made from a monopole within the Aux Corvées vineyard. It’s in many ways a quite unusual wine … conceptualized by a remarkable man – Henri-Frédéric Roch, the owner of Domaine Prieure ...
- Collins Corner #6 – Vosne-Romanee Haut Maizieres … Is the map of famous vineyards in Burgundy deceptive? My curiosity has always been aroused by the ‘unknown’ vines right next door. When you are standing in a hallowed plot, and a very short distance away is a big, old, symbolic vine that looks like it was born in another century….you can’t help ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...