Domaine Jean-Marc Millot is a Burgundian delight; it is always a treat to visit this estate to taste the new vintage. This was equally the case for the 2018 vintage here, as Millot has caught the 2018s on the cool side, meaning that most of the wines here show predominantly red fruit, although with a vivid temperament maintaining the freshness and airy fruit of the vintage.
I was very impressed by the Millot wines from the coolness perspective, as they showed no real tendency toward overripeness – a tendency that is relatively common in the 2018 vintage as a whole.
That being said, I mainly taste at top-flight domaines, and therefore encounter rather fewer of these issues. But believe me, the 2018s can display all the ripeness that you would ever want – and then some – in the hands of less-skilled producers.
Millot has shown great talent by keeping alive the freshness of their 2018s – as the range here is truly lovely. Chapeau Alix .. and Jean-Marc, of course.
The cool 2018s
The Millot wines are on the elegant and light-footed side of the 2018s – the concentration is definitely there, yet it is in balance and discreet in these vinous gems. And while these are nevertheless relatively big and intense wines, that balance allows them to show themselves as vivacious and airy in most cases.
The wines are detailed and transparent – and are kept on the cool side, with a fine freshness and expression of terroir. They will provide serious hedonistic enjoyment over decades, and they drink beautifully.
You need to login to read the recommendations. If you are not a subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Jean-Marc Millot, Clos de Vougeot 2014 October 15, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Echezeaux 2014 October 15, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Cote de Nuits Village “Aux Faulques” 2014 September 30, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Bourgogne 2014 September 30, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Grands Echezeaux 2002 December 2, 2011
- Visit to Domaine Jean-Marc Millot – tasting the 2019s from caskNot surprisingly, Alix Millot at Domaine Jean-Marc Millot made some splendid wines in 2019. The wines live up to my – very high – expectations, and from the entry level to the Grands Echezeaux we find the vivacious style that is the trademark of 2019: hedonistic, in the best sense of the word. Alix Millot in ...
- Bourgogne Day 5 – Fine potentialThere is much great and interesting potential in Bourgogne, and now even “old” grapes like Aligote are being revived by new generations of growers. Aligoteurs Jean-Marc Millot Alix Millot has really hit the heights with her 2019s, which offer vivid freshness and vibrant mid-palate fruit in both the lesser appellations and the crus. Bravo Alix! Alix Millot in her cellar Chartron Domaine ...
- Brandis Tasting – the delightful 2017 vintageDomaine Brandis, with Tom Brandis at the wheel, is one of Denmark’s main Burgundy importers. In early November, Tom held his large Wine Festival with a very fine lineup of delightful producers – French, German, Italian; you name it, they were there. A very, very rare bird I had a short splash and dash at this tasting, as I ...
- Visit Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2018s from caskDomaine Jean-Marc Millot is a Burgundian delight; it is always a treat to visit this estate to taste the new vintage. This was equally the case for the 2018 vintage here, as Millot has caught the 2018s on the cool side, meaning that most of the wines here show predominantly red fruit, although with a ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée Les SuchotsDomaine Jean-Marc Millot have a strong lineup from Flagey-Echezeaux and even the northern end of Vosne-Romanée where we find the Millot plots in Les Suchots. The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots is a lovely wine in the Millot portfolio where it’s however somewhat surpassed by the magnificent three or should we sat four – the two Echezeauxs, ...