20 years with La Paulée de New York .. certainly worth a celebration. To be honest its always worth celebrating Burgundy – and Daniel Johnnes have assembled a very impressive group of vignerons to join the Paulée 2020.
Certainly worth a detour as the red guide would put it ..
Photo: La Paulée de New York
20th celebration of La Paulée de New York March 4 – 7, 2020
New York, December 2019
– Join loyal and enthusiastic fans of Burgundy in New York for a celebration of the 20th Anniversary of La Paulée!
La Paulée de New York will return from March 4 – 7, 2020 for the 20th edition of the legendary wine gathering produced by award-winning sommelier Daniel Johnnes.
In 1992, Daniel Johnnes first held a Burgundy dinner at Montrachet in TriBeCa. Six young vignerons (Dominique Lafon, Etienne Grivot, Patrick Bize, Jacques Seysses, Jean-Pierre De Smet and Christophe Roumier) joined him for a series of tastings, seminars and a special dinner.
In 2000 the first official La Paulée de New York took place with twelve winemakers and more than one hundred guests at the W Hotel on Lexington Avenue for a Paulée Gala Dinner led by Chef Daniel Boulud.
Today, the Paulée has grown to about thirty five winemakers and four days of educational seminars, tastings and intimate dinners culminating with a Paulée Gala Dinner, led by Chef Boulud and joined by other world renowned chefs.
La Paulée is proud to host the greatest estates of Burgundy in New York City
Bouchard Père & Fils • Domaine Yvon Clerget • Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey • Maison Joseph Drouhin Domaine David Duband • Domaine Dujac • Domaine Duroché • Domaine d’Eugénie • Domaine Faiveley Domaine William Fèvre • Domaine Didier Fornerol
A selection of wines from La Commune de Meursault
Program Highlights include:
· Dinner: OGs of La Paulée de New York at Del Posto, featuring The Original Group at La Paulée de New York: Christophe Roumier, Dominique Lafon, Etienne Grivot, Jean-Pierre De Smet, Chisa Bize, Jeremy Seysses (Dujac), Jean-Marc Roulot & Alain Graillot
· “Les Petits des Grands” Lunch at Frank’s Wine Bar, highlighting regional appellations from great winemakers
· Rare Wine Dinner with Christophe Roumier at Legacy Records
· Verticals Tasting of three-vintage verticals of attending winemaker’s flagship wines
· Zachys Auction in celebration of La Paulée de New York
· Engaging and informative Seminars with industry-leading personalities:
· Burgundy Goes Abroad: Winemaking in other countries, with Etienne de Montille, Jean-Marc Roulot, Dominique Lafon, Véronique Drouhin, Pierre-Henry Gagey, and Louis-Michel Liger-Belair, moderated by Jordan Mackay
· Domaine Lafarge Clos du Château des Ducs with a special film by Lola Taboury-Bize featuring three generations of the Lafarge family
· Pierre Morey & Meursault-Perrières
· Geology of Volnay with Brenna Quigley and Nicolas Rossignol
· Legends Dinner with an astonishing lineup of wines from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti presented by Aubert de Villaine at DANIEL
· Grand Tasting of the 2017 vintage from attending winemakers at Pier Sixty
· Gala Dinner featuring Chefs Daniel Boulud of DANIEL, David Kinch of Manresa in Los Gatos, CA, Junghyun Park of Atomix, and Michel, César, & Léo Troisgros of Maison Troisgros in Ouches, France
Chef d’Honneur Daniel Boulud will welcome David Kinch of Manresa in Los Gatos, CA, Chefs Junghyun Park of Atomix, and Michel, César & Léo Troisgros of Maison Troisgros in Ouches, France to collaborate on La Paulée de New York’s sensational menus.
La Paulée de New York is proud to host over sixty of this country’s finest sommeliers who will handle the wine service throughout the event. The team will be led by New York sommeliers Patrick Cappiello, founder of Renégat Wines, David Gordon, the wine director of Myriad Restaurant Group, and Hristo Zisovski, the wine director of Altamarea Group.
La Paulée Sommelier Scholarship
Daniel Johnnes is committed to introducing the best of Burgundy to a young generation of sommeliers. The La Paulée Sommelier Scholarship selects motivated, up-and-coming sommeliers who have never traveled to Burgundy and offers them an all-expenses-paid trip to the region to further their education. This trip will be funded by a number of wines that are donated from Burgundy’s greatest domaines, participants of La Paulée. With the support of Zachys Wine Auctions, these wines will be auctioned during the Zachys Burgundy-focused auction in celebration of La Paulée de New York in March 2020.
Daniel Johnnes is a wine director for Daniel Boulud’s Dinex Group, including Restaurant DANIEL, DB Bistro, Cafe Boulud, Bar Boulud and Boulud Sud. In addition to Daniel’s efforts as a sommelier and wine consultant, he organizes fine wine dinners and tastings. His La Paulée, a celebration of Burgundy in New York and in San Francisco, has received rave reviews by the press and public alike with the Financial Times calling it ‘the greatest bacchanalia on the face of the earth.’ Johnnes’ recent endeavor is La Fête du Champagne, created alongside Peter Liem, author and Champagne expert, to educate consumers and promote the wines of Champagne. Daniel is a three time James Beard Award winner: for Outstanding Wine Service, Wine and Spirits Professional of the Year and Who’s Who of Food and Beverage in America, the highest honor awarded to a wine professional in the United States. In 2016, Daniel was honored by the French Republic by being named a Chevalier de l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole. This award recognizes people who have rendered outstanding services to the sector of agriculture, and is one of the tiers of national merit, along with the French Légion d’Honneur.
History of La Paulée
The origins of La Paulée lie in the post-harvest meal shared by winemakers and their harvesters to celebrate the end of the grape-picking. In 1923, Count Jules Lafon, the great-grandfather of Dominique Lafon, turned this into a village-wide celebration by inviting the winemakers of Meursault and their friends to bring some of their best bottles to share over a joyous lunch at the Château de Meursault. Since that time, La Paulée has returned to Meursault every year on the third day of “Les Trois Glorieuses” or “The Three Glorious Days” in Burgundy that are made up of a formal dinner at the Château du Clos Vougeot, the famous charitable auction of Les Hospices de Beaune and the lively Paulée de Meursault, which draws gourmands and lovers of Burgundy back year after year.
La Paulée de New York will once again be joined by the convivial voices of Les Chanteurs de Bourgogne, who will be singing at various events.
The American Express Presale will be from December 5th to December 19th . The general tickets sale will begin on December 20th.
We would like to thank the sponsors of La Paulée de New York 2020: American Express®, Acqua Panna, Andante Dairy, Champagne Delamotte, Champagne Salon, La Colombe, Coravin, Cote d’Or Imports, The Dalmore, DANIEL, Plantin Kaviari, Riedel, S.Pellegrino, Vintage Wine Warehouse, The World of Fine Wine, and Zachys Auctions.