What can I say … great to be back in the diminutive cellar at Domaine Nicolas Faure in Meuilley.
My first visit to Meuilley was in the summer of 2016 – and while I had heard about the wines from Nicolas Faure, he was then still relatively unknown.
Now two years later his wines are famous – and at the entrance to the cellar I met the Danish importer of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti .. lets call him “Ib” … who was also checking out this small and now quite hyped estate.
The hype is real … although Nicolas Faure are making these wines partly as a “hobby” project, alongside his “work” as vineyard manager/Chef de culture at Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – another one of the rising stars of Fixin and Vosne-Romanée.
It’s now very hard to find the wines of Nicolas Faure even in Burgundy, and prices are soaring, and they are now quite expensive in the restaurants – not to the delight of Nicolas Faure however – who wants the wines to be affordable … as they are from the estate …
I have already covered the history of the estate and the earlier vintages in the previous articles – see below.
- Visit at Domaine Nicolas Faure – mesmerising wines
- Visit Domaine Nicolas Faure, tasting of the 2016s from cask
So without further ado to the bat-poles and the notes!
Tasting notes from May 29th 2018 – the 2017s from cask.
Great news from the Domaine Faure cellars … much more wine in 2017 … perhaps not plenty, and surely not enough to satisfy the demand – but definitely more wine.
The 2017s here are forward, generous and charming – somewhat warmer than the 2014s – but with a classic stance and style, with both the white and the reds being beautifully balanced and transparent.
I do love these wines to bits … as they just drink so well. The tannins are uniquely fine (presumably due to the old vertical press) and yet the wines have an edge, a slightly wild spirit – or in a sense a force of nature feeling, that leave them unique and unpolished.
All the vineyards are back in form after the 2016 frost – and have produced well – including the new white (Chardonnay planted next to the gorgeous Aligote in La Corvees de Bully near Pernand-Vergelesses).
First out of the reds – the infidel … Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay … a Gamay based wine.
Domaine Nicolas Faure, Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay 2017
As with the 2016s I have chosen to publish a note on the Gamay .. just to show that an old and grumpy journalists can still change perception and focus. The Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay 2017 is slightly solaire, forward and floral, It’s offering a lovely juicy fruit – lovely freshness and energy … with the natural charm of the vintage. Not hugely complex – but more than enough to make it interesting for a Burgundy snob like me. Bottom line – lovely energy with a vivid fruit – will offer tremendous drinking.
(Drink from 2019) – Good – (86 – 87p) – Tasted 29/05/2018 from cask
Domaine Nicolas Faure, Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2017
The Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Les Argillieres 2017 is a step up in quality and purity from the Gamay (as expected). The nose is brimming with ripe and juicy red fruit – also very forward and floral, with a fine charm, depth and complexity. On the palate lovely red fruit – a vivid and vibrant wine – with a bit more sun and generosity than the 2014s, and without the weight of the somewhat velvet 2015s.
(Drink from 2024) – Good+ – (87 – 88p) – Tasted 29/05/2018 from cask
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article including the tasting notes. If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2017 February 19, 2019
- Domaine Nicolas Faure, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2016 November 23, 2018
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2014 June 21, 2017
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2015 June 21, 2017
- Domaine Nicolas Faure, Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2014 October 11, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2014 October 11, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Aloxe-Corton 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2014 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2012 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2014 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2015 July 30, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure, Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2014 June 23, 2016
- Visit Nicolas Faure Tuesday 18:00 tasting at Nicolas Faure. Tremendous tasting of the red 2018s, the 2017s and a few older wines – one being a gorgeous example of the 2015 Nuits-Saint-Georges Herbues – airy and vivid like never before. A treat to taste some of the slightly older wines – to get things into perspective.
- Visit Domaine Nicolas Faure, tasting of the 2017s from cask What can I say … great to be back in the diminutive cellar at Domaine Nicolas Faure in Meuilley. My first visit to Meuilley was in the summer of 2016 – and while I had heard about the wines from Nicolas Faure, he was then still relatively unknown. Now two years later his wines are famous – ...
- Visit Domaine Nicolas Faure, tasting of the 2016s from cask I do visit quite many estates – and there are many great moments, and highlights – but one of the most precious visits was my first tasting at Domaine Nicholas Faure in the summer of 2016. I came unprepared as I never tasted the wines before – but the tasting revealed a style and quality of ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Visit at Domaine Nicolas Faure – mesmerising wines I have travelled Burgundy many times, but never seen or even heard about the village Meuilley. The tasting at Domaine Nicolas Faure certainly put Meuilly on the map for me with one of the most invigorating and memorable tastings I have attended in years. Domaine Nicolas Faure is a new estate – first vintage was 2011 ...
- More impressions of the 2015 vintage On my third day of visits in Burgundy I had four tasings … Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, Domaine Hereztyn-Mazzini, Albert Bichot and lastly Domaine Nicolas Faure. The visits confirmed the high quality of the 2015 vintage, but also some indications of the challenges for those who harvested later. The tastings also show that some individual wines ...