What can I say … great to be back in the diminutive cellar at Domaine Nicolas Faure in Meuilley.
My first visit to Meuilley was in the summer of 2016 – and while I had heard about the wines from Nicolas Faure, he was then still relatively unknown.
Now two years later his wines are famous – and at the entrance to the cellar I met the Danish importer of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti .. lets call him “Ib” … who was also checking out this small and now quite hyped estate.
The hype is real … although Nicolas Faure are making these wines partly as a “hobby” project, alongside his “work” as vineyard manager/Chef de culture at Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet – another one of the rising stars of Fixin and Vosne-Romanée.
It’s now very hard to find the wines of Nicolas Faure even in Burgundy, and prices are soaring, and they are now quite expensive in the restaurants – not to the delight of Nicolas Faure however – who wants the wines to be affordable … as they are from the estate …
I have already covered the history of the estate and the earlier vintages in the previous articles – see below.
- Visit at Domaine Nicolas Faure – mesmerising wines
- Visit Domaine Nicolas Faure, tasting of the 2016s from cask
So without further ado to the bat-poles and the notes!
Tasting notes from May 29th 2018 – the 2017s from cask.
Great news from the Domaine Faure cellars … much more wine in 2017 … perhaps not plenty, and surely not enough to satisfy the demand – but definitely more wine.
The 2017s here are forward, generous and charming – somewhat warmer than the 2014s – but with a classic stance and style, with both the white and the reds being beautifully balanced and transparent.
I do love these wines to bits … as they just drink so well. The tannins are uniquely fine (presumably due to the old vertical press) and yet the wines have an edge, a slightly wild spirit – or in a sense a force of nature feeling, that leave them unique and unpolished.
All the vineyards are back in form after the 2016 frost – and have produced well – including the new white (Chardonnay planted next to the gorgeous Aligote in La Corvees de Bully near Pernand-Vergelesses).
First out of the reds – the infidel … Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay … a Gamay based wine.
Domaine Nicolas Faure, Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay 2017
As with the 2016s I have chosen to publish a note on the Gamay .. just to show that an old and grumpy journalists can still change perception and focus. The Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay 2017 is slightly solaire, forward and floral, It’s offering a lovely juicy fruit – lovely freshness and energy … with the natural charm of the vintage. Not hugely complex – but more than enough to make it interesting for a Burgundy snob like me. Bottom line – lovely energy with a vivid fruit – will offer tremendous drinking.
(Drink from 2019) – Good – (86 – 87p) – Tasted 29/05/2018 from cask
Domaine Nicolas Faure, Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2017
The Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Les Argillieres 2017 is a step up in quality and purity from the Gamay (as expected). The nose is brimming with ripe and juicy red fruit – also very forward and floral, with a fine charm, depth and complexity. On the palate lovely red fruit – a vivid and vibrant wine – with a bit more sun and generosity than the 2014s, and without the weight of the somewhat velvet 2015s.
(Drink from 2024) – Good+ – (87 – 88p) – Tasted 29/05/2018 from cask
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article including the tasting notes. If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligoté La Corvee de Bully 2014 March 11, 2022
- Domaine de Cassiopée Aligoté En Gerlieus 2020 March 10, 2022
- Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2017 February 21, 2022
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2017 February 19, 2019
- Domaine Nicolas Faure, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2016 November 23, 2018
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2014 June 21, 2017
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2015 June 21, 2017
- Domaine Nicolas Faure, Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2014 October 11, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2014 October 11, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Aloxe-Corton 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Coteaux Bourguignons Mes Gamay 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2015 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2014 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2012 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2014 July 31, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligote La Corvees de Bully 2015 July 30, 2016
- Domaine Nicolas Faure, Bourgogne Aux Argillieres 2014 June 23, 2016
- Visit to Domaine Nicolas Faure – Tasting the 2021s from CaskVin d’émotion is seen by some as merely a marketing term, or a concept designed to promote a certain type of wine – or even the Winehog himself. All are entitled to their view on this topic. That said, I encourage all Burgundy lovers to check out the vin d’émotion lists and test the qualities of ...
- Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligoté La Corvee de Bully 2014Another chance to drink and enjoy this great 2014 aligoté. Nicolas Faure’s Bourgogne Aligoté La Corvee de Bully 2014 is for me one of the very best aligotés, with its almost grand-cru-like intensity. The nose remains pure and vibrant, with delicate white orchard fruits, slight hints of anise, and lovely, intense, finely grained minerality. ...
- Domaine de Cassiopée Aligoté En Gerlieus 2020The Aligoté En Gerlieus is just as delicate and refined as when I tasted it from cask – cask and amphorae – in June last year. Crystal clear and airy, it is light-footed with a gorgeous core of light fennel and mineral notes. Absolutely effortless, it shows an elegant, slightly reductive note. It’s transparent, ...
- Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2017The Les Herbues 2017 (amongst friends “the Abuse”) is a typical Faure wine: refined and light-footed, with uniquely fine-grained tannins extracted by his old vertical press in Meuilley. The nose is open, and showing medium heat (it was quite a hot year, but not that hot). This is delightful drinking even at this stage, and has ...
- The Name is Faure, Nicolas Faure – My Favourite AligotéWe all have favourites, wines that always – or very often – bring us something special. It is easy to have expensive favourites (aside from the pain of paying for the bottle), but finding moderately priced treats can be more difficult. One of my favourite wines is the Nicolas Faure Aligoté La Corvee de Bully, an ...