Premoxed white Burgundies have been a problem since the vintages in the mid 1990s. The producers work hard to eliminate this problem … and they have to some extend been successful since the mid 2000s. There is however still identified premox problems in both the 2007 and 2008 vintage … so the problem is not fully solved yet.
Normally I don’t post tasting notes on medium to badly premoxed wines … but I have changed this policy. I will in the future post about all premoxed wines – thus making it possible to make a list over premoxed wines tasted. This will allow for further research on the likelihood of getting a premoxed wine from the different producers.
Please note that I do taste quite a lot of wines from some producers on the lists (Lafon and Leflaive) and it’s therefore more likely that these producers will appear on the lists.
The lists of premoxed wines tasted are relatively short, but will be updated as I taste the wines. Hopefully these lists will remain relatively short … but we will see.
Slightly or mildly premoxed wines
The wines below was considered slightly or mildly premoxed … i.e. they showed mild signs of oxidation – but they were still drinkable although somewhat disappointing. Please note the category does not include the oxidized wines sold as so called natural wines … they are not premoxed … they are faulty.
- Domaine Leflaive, Chevalier Montrachet 1997 August 24, 2011
- Daviot Perrin, Meursault Perrieres 2004 October 5, 2011
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Clos de la Barre 2001 October 23, 2011
- Domaine Leflaive, Les Pucelles 2000 August 5, 2012
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Charmes 2001 October 4, 2012
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Clos de la Barre 2002 December 9, 2013
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Perrieres 2004 September 23, 2014
Badly premoxed wines
The badly premoxed wines are wines with a very strong oxidation … undrinkable or close to undrinkable. Again we are not talking about the undrinkable so called natural wines … I’m only listing the wines that should or could perform well.
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Charmes 1999 September 21, 2011
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Perrieres 2002 January 11, 2014
- Chateau de Puligny-Montrachet, Meursault Perrieres 2004 February 28, 2014
- Comte Lafon, Meursault Clos de La Barre 2005 August 1, 2014
- Domaine Comte Lafon, Montrachet 2002 January 31, 2016
- Domaine Comte Lafon, Meursault Perrieres 2001 February 4, 2016
- Domaine Comte Lafon, Meursault Charmes 2002 March 19, 2016
- Domaine Comte Lafon, Meursault Perrieres 2004 October 15, 2016
- Domaine Paul Pillot, Chassagne-Montrachet Cailleret 2010 May 22, 2017