Seize the wine … seize the day when you see the great bottle. Wine prices are going trough the roof and I’m pretty sure they will rise even further in the future. So if you find “The” wine at a expensive but resonably fair price on a restaurant or in a wine shop … seize the day and buy the bottle.
Missed opportunities – the bottles I didn’t taste
I have missed quite a lot of good bottles myself … thinking about short term budget balance. Worst call was back in 2002 at Emeril’s in New Orleans… where we didn’t buy one of the quite many Coche-Dury Corton Charlemagne on the winelist. As far as I recall the price level was between 300 and 450 USD for the different vintages. A steal looking at todays prices. We bought the Coche-Dury Perrieres 1996 …. and it was great … but …
Fortunately I have “almost” forgotten the rest of my missed oppotunities!
A brilliant decision – Henri Jayer, Richebourg 1985
A good friend of mine made a brilliant decision back in 2001 when we found Henri Jayer Richebourg 1985 to a little more than 4000 FFR .. equivalent to 700 USD today. It was probably the best decision of the decade … a lovely bottle – see tasting note.
Richebourg 1985 from Henri Jayer is now a legendary and very expensive wine. It’s a great wine, but the price in todays market is far beyond crazy in my view!
At a Christies auction in Hong Kong the price for Richebourg 1985 reached 109,107 USD for a magnum botle, when a part of Jayers private celler was sold – see the full story.
Pictures of Richebourg 1985
I was asked about the label and bottle type by a follower on Twitter – so I took som photos of the bottle we tasted at Les Millisime in Gevrey back in 2001 – my friend still has the bottle in his dining room.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Henri Jayer, Richebourg 1985 August 12, 2011
- Henri Jayer, Vosne Romanee Cros Parantoux 1988 August 10, 2011
- Henri Jayer, Vosne Romanee Cros Parantoux 1989 August 9, 2011
- Henri Jayer, Vosne Romanee 1995 August 4, 2011
- The Henri Jayer Insight – Cros Parantoux the area and productionThe legendary 1er cru Vosne-Romanée Cros Parantoux was introduced by Henri Jayer in 1978 – before this the wine from this now famous vineyard was included in the Vosne-Romanée village of Domaine Henri Jayer. In connection with the Baghera/Wine auction of wines from the Henri Jayer domaine cellar held on June 17th 2018 new informations and ...
- Henri Jayer Insight – The production in the 1978 vintageOn June 17th 2018 an amazing 855 bottles and 209 magnums of Henri Jayer Burgundies were on auction in Geneva. The auction is held by Baghera/Wine and the wines comes directly from the cellar of the former Henri Jayer estate in Vosne-Romanée – as the sellers are the daughters of the legendary Henri Jayer. The ...
- Last chance to get a genuine bottle of Henri Jayer?855 bottles of Henri Jayer + 209 magnums of Henri Jayer – too good to be true – actually not. The daughters of Henri Jayer – Lydie and Dominique Jayer – have put the remaining wine collection of the former Henri Jayer estate on auction in Geneva. The auction is held by Baghera/Wines who have worked intensely ...
- Terroir Insight: Henri Jayer RichebourgOne of the most legendary wines in the world is the mighty Richebourg from Henri Jayer – extremely rare and very expensive … and sadly with a lot of fake bottles dominating the market these days. The Jayer Richebourg was made from the Richebourg holdings of the current Domaine Meo-Camuzet over a period of more than ...
- Cros Parantoux – the sweet spot of RichebourgVosne-Romanee Cros Parantoux is a mythical vineyard … with a reputation created by the legendary Henri Jayer. With a location just above and next to Richebourg this 1er cru is regarded as something very special. But the story of Cros Parantoux doesn’t start with Henri Jayer, the vineyard was known much earlier. So lets take a ...