One of the highlights of my June 2017 tour to Burgundy was the visit to Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont – or should I say Domaine Betrand et Axelle Machard de Gramont.
I really like to visit this small estate located in the hills of Vergy and to taste these organic and elegant wines.
The year 2016 was a tough year for Axelle, but she kept on fighting for her organic certification and she not only maintained the AB certificate(Agriculture Biologique) – she also managed to produce some truly delightful wines – chapeau!.
A fine moment of this visit was a trip to her Aligote vineyard just next to l’Abbaye de Saint Vivant – above the village of Curtil-Vergy … a great experience – see the article her.
A bit of background on Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont
Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont is a relatively small estate originating from Nuits-Saint-Georges. The estate has 6 ha in total located mainly in the Nuits-Saint-Georges appellation – but also with plots in Vosne-Romanée and Vergy.
The estate is related to the Machard de Gramont estate in Premeaux and the Chantal Lescure estate in Nuits-Saint-Georges.
The estate was established in 1983 by Bertrand Machard de Gramont, when the family estate was split in three parts. Bertrand until then worked the family estate after a stay at Domaine Vogüé in Chambolle-Musigny presumably working under Alain Roumier the old régisseur at Vogüé.
Axelle Machard de Gramont returned to Burgundy to take on the vigneron challenge in 2004 – and is now running the estate – with support from her father.
I really admire the work Axelle is doing – making some significant wines from some special terroirs created by her father.
Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont – The wines
The wines are very pure and terroir driven wines, and the do have a organic touch to the fruit. They do however also have a dignified or even slightly regal quality – these are not your typical local wines from the Côte – but rather more refined and precise in their expression.
Somehow Axelle seme to have taken a dosage of Paris refinement and delicacy with her, when she left the city to make wines in the remote hills above Nuits-Saint-Georges and Vosne-Romanée.
While I like the 2015s here – I do somehow think the style of 2016 goes better with some of the Nuits-Saint-Georges terroirs – hence I do have a personal preference for the 2016s. That being said perhaps the point scores in some cases are higher in 2015 – but nevertheless the 2016s seems the more enjoyable to me.You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article including the tasting notes. If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont, Vosne-Romanée 2015 July 23, 2017
- Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont, Nuits-St-Georges Aux Allots 2015 July 23, 2017
- Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont, Nuits-St-Georges Les Vallerots 2015 July 23, 2017
- Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont, Nuits-St-Georges Les Terrasses de Vallerots 2015 July 23, 2017
- Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont, Bourgogne Grands Chaillots 2015 July 23, 2017
- Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont, Aligote 2015 July 23, 2017
- Visit Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont – tasting the 2017s from cask I was really happy to see more wine in the cellar at Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont after the depressingly low yields in 2016 … Axelle really deserves a break and some success after all the hard work keeping her organic certification. Even more importantly the 2017s here are delightfully vibrant – and what they don’t ...
- Visit Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont – tasting the 2016s from cask One of the highlights of my June 2017 tour to Burgundy was the visit to Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont – or should I say Domaine Betrand et Axelle Machard de Gramont. I really like to visit this small estate located in the hills of Vergy and to taste these organic and elegant wines. The year ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- The Aligote on the Vergy hill – LE CHÊNE DU COURT One of the most tranquille and beautiful places in Burgundy is the legendary hill in Curtil-Vergy where one find the reminders of the once so influential Abbaye de Saint-Vivant de Vergy. The Abbaye de Saint-Vivant de Vergy was a dominant factor in Burgundy before the French revolution, and while the Abbaye located over the village of ...
- Visit Domaine Bertrand Machard de Gramont – tasting the 2015s Passion is all …. wine made without passion is merely a agricultural product … but the energy and passion transferred to the wine can elevate a wine to something more than just fermented grape juice – it can become an expression, a desire, a statement and reflection of a personality. Axelle Machard de Gramont is not ...