Great to be back at Domaine Jean-Marc Millot with Alix Millot taking a stronger and more prominent role at the estate – and clearly getting the room and freedom to make changes and improvements.
The 2017s here are as expected lovely and brimming with pinot pleasure … a notch up in quality and definition, given the vintage, and keeping the fine and delicate style of the estate intact.
A new wine is possibly in the pipeline – and will presumably be on the menu for the 2017 bottling – a new and extra cuvée of Echezeaux … the Echezeaux du Dessus – a special cuvée from the core of Echezeaux – more about this cuvée below.
From strength to strength
I have been impressed by the steady progress of Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, and the new energy Alix has brought to the estate in recent years …
The style with wines driven by pure pinot fruit, very elegant and transparent thus expressing the terroirs beautifully – is intact and strengthened.
The 2017s are nevertheless a tad lighter than the intense and concentrated 2015s and 2016s – yet not more than a welcomed variation of the vintages. Make no mistake – 2015 and 2016 are the bigger vintages though.
The 2017s here are enjoyable and vivid – offering what I’m looking for in a wine from Millot — i.e. pleasure, refinement and elegance.
While the 2016s and 2015s were vintages of considerable concentration, the 2017s offer more generous yields but perhaps even so energy wise. They will no doubt offer lovely drinking – and are therfore also highly recommended. Wines of hedonistic pleasure and enjoyment – Wines of plenty ..
Tasting notes for the 2017s from Jean-Marc Millot
All the wines showed well and it was great to find much more wine in the cellar in this vintage – around 30% higher yields than in the 2016 vintage – and even more in the top end.
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Bourgogne Rouge 2017
The Bourgogne rouge is showing delightful drinkability – less serious perhaps than the 2016s – and with a forward and joyful fruit. This is a wine of pleasure and purity … a pinot delight.
(Drink from 2019) – Good (85 – 86p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Savigny-Les-Beaune 2017
The Savigny is more spicy and with a vivid energy – drinking very well indeed. Enjoyable depth and length for this level .. fine vivid character.
(Drink from 2023) – Good+ (86 – 87p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Côte de Nuits Village “Aux Faulques” 2017
One of my favourites wines of Domaine Jean-Marc Millot representing tremendous value – the CdNV Aux Faulques from a terroir located in the center of Comblanchien – read more about the terroir . The 2017 vintage is lighter and more airy than the two previous vintages – and represent more easy drinking and more imminent pleasure. The two previous vintages could well be the bigger wines … but this is giving me as much pleasure in the short run – CHEERS
(Drink from 2023) – Very Good (87 – 88p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée 2017
The Vosne-Romanée is also showing the drinkable and expressive side – lovely ripeness and freshness. Love the generous sweet berries and the detailed fruit .. airy and spicy .. with plenty of Vosne pleasure and refinement. More lightfooted than the 2015, and more forward than the slightly more serious 2016. This is cheerful .. or even cheersful!
(Drink from 2026) – Fine (88 – 89p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots 2017
The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots struggle a bit to match the intensity of the two previous vintages – that being said nothing is missing – and the vivid energy of this vintages does make up for the slightly lower density. An airy and elegant Les Suchots in the making – plenty of charm and energy.
(Drink from 2027) – Fine++ (92 – 93p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Clos de Vougeot 2017
I think Domaine Jean-Marc Millot often brings forward the best in Clos de Vougeot – i.e. the refinement and the mineral elegance found in the top and perhaps the best part of the vinyard just below Grands Echezeaux. This is also the case with the 2017s Clos de Vougout – lovely lightness and drinkability – airy and elegant – 30% new oak giving a lovely balance and presence in the wine. Very well done!
(Drink from 2032) – Very Fine (93 – 94p) – Tasted 31/05/2018
The Echezeaux question
Alix Millot has produced two cuvées of Echezeaux in 2017 … firstly the “regular or classic” Echezeaux 2017 a refined and filigree wine – made from plots in Poulaillères, Echézeaux du Dessus and Clos St. Denis. And as something new – a cuvée made from a special plot in Echézeaux du Dessus with very old vines – planted in 1945.
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of the article. If you are not a Premium subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Jean-Marc Millot, Clos de Vougeot 2014 October 15, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Echezeaux 2014 October 15, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Cote de Nuits Village “Aux Faulques” 2014 September 30, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Bourgogne 2014 September 30, 2016
- Jean-Marc Millot, Grands Echezeaux 2002 December 2, 2011
- Visit to Domaine Jean-Marc Millot – tasting the 2019s from caskNot surprisingly, Alix Millot at Domaine Jean-Marc Millot made some splendid wines in 2019. The wines live up to my – very high – expectations, and from the entry level to the Grands Echezeaux we find the vivacious style that is the trademark of 2019: hedonistic, in the best sense of the word. Alix Millot in ...
- Bourgogne Day 5 – Fine potentialThere is much great and interesting potential in Bourgogne, and now even “old” grapes like Aligote are being revived by new generations of growers. Aligoteurs Jean-Marc Millot Alix Millot has really hit the heights with her 2019s, which offer vivid freshness and vibrant mid-palate fruit in both the lesser appellations and the crus. Bravo Alix! Alix Millot in her cellar Chartron Domaine ...
- Brandis Tasting – the delightful 2017 vintageDomaine Brandis, with Tom Brandis at the wheel, is one of Denmark’s main Burgundy importers. In early November, Tom held his large Wine Festival with a very fine lineup of delightful producers – French, German, Italian; you name it, they were there. A very, very rare bird I had a short splash and dash at this tasting, as I ...
- Visit Jean-Marc Millot, Tasting of the 2018s from caskDomaine Jean-Marc Millot is a Burgundian delight; it is always a treat to visit this estate to taste the new vintage. This was equally the case for the 2018 vintage here, as Millot has caught the 2018s on the cool side, meaning that most of the wines here show predominantly red fruit, although with a ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Jean-Marc Millot, Vosne-Romanée Les SuchotsDomaine Jean-Marc Millot have a strong lineup from Flagey-Echezeaux and even the northern end of Vosne-Romanée where we find the Millot plots in Les Suchots. The Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots is a lovely wine in the Millot portfolio where it’s however somewhat surpassed by the magnificent three or should we sat four – the two Echezeauxs, ...