This is my third visit to Domaine Duroché one of the rising stars of Gevrey-Chambertin.
Pierre Duroché made some quite tremendous 2015s and 2016s, but it’s in my view somewhat to early to open these for a taste – although they have reached the restaurants already.
The 2014s from Duroché are fine for early drinking now, and the 2017 from here could well be the answer .. posing a slightly more posh and forward fruity style.
The 2017s from Duroché is a return to the slightly lighter and forward fruity style from the 2015 and 2016 — they are forward if you like, appealing .. yet perhaps not quite with the depth and radience of the previous two vintages.
In the end the 2017s does offer a lot of pleasure .. so lets go!
Tasting notes from the Visit on May 30th 2018
The Domaine Duroché, Gevrey-Chambertin 2017 village do start out with a fine purity. The nose offer lovely red and dark berries – boysenberries and raspberries – with a hint of iron minerality as a reminder of it’s Gevrey origin. On the palate juicy and vibrant with a lovely intensity – with a delighful intensity.
(Drink from 2023) – Very Good – (87 – 88p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Domaine Duroché, Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Etelois 2017. This plot is located on the southern side of Griotte-Chambertin alongside the Claude Dugat plot and below the Duroché plot of Griottes-Chambertin. It is vivid and fruity wine, that really show of all the trades … intense, vivid and silky .. offer anoter level to Gevery village. A delightful glass ..
(Drink from 2023) – Fine – (90 – 91p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Domaine Duroché, Gevrey-Chambertin Estournelles St. Jacques 2017 .. is showing well. It’s openly knit, forward .. good fruit intensity and does offer lovely drinking. Perhaps lacking a bit of focus comepared to the Lavaut – but does offer a lot of charm – the 2017.
(Drink from 2024) – Fine – (91 – 92p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Domaine Duroché, Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St. Jacques 2017. The regular Lavaut St. Jacques is a lovely wine. Fine depth and length – very fine organic stuffing also in the 2017 vintage. A treat – but not quite a full macth for the deeper and longer Les Laveat St. Jacques V.V.
(Drink from 2026) – Fine+ – (92 – 93p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Domaine Duroché, Gevrey-Chambertin Lavaut St. Jacques 2017 V.V. / first time I taste this treat. This wine is from a plot planted in 1923 – a rare treat to be honest. More depth and layered fruit than the regular cuvere .. tremendous depth – delightful mature and ripe fruit. Very Fine and refined expression of the minerality.
(Drink from 2028) – Very Fine- – (93 – 94p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
The Domaine Duroché, Charmes-Chambertin 2017 is a quite generous wine and with a vivid balance. The fruit is generoes and rather elegant, hence offering a fine complexity .. matching the sweet and forward fruit. I do like both the balance and vibrant energy in this wine.
(Drink from 2027) – Very Fine – (92 – 94p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
The Domaine Duroché Latriciere-Chambertin 2017 is a rather the cuvée located between Le Chambertin and Gevrey Chambertin Aux Combottes. The nose is rather crammed with quite cool and vibrant fruit – notes of pomegranate, strawberries and red currant. A intense wine .. yet less intense than the 2015 and 2016. This is however an very fine wine, with the effortless drinkability of the 2017 shining through.
(Drink from 2028) – Very Fine+ – (93 – 94p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Domaine Duroché, Griotte-Chambertin 2017 .. this is more than rare with a production of around 80 bottles. The Duroché Griotte-Chambertin 2017 is completely different than the other wines in the lineup, as it – like in previous vintages – is made from 100% whole cluster grapes. The bouquet is very expressive and organic offering cinnamon and all spice. On the palate rich, even velvet, boasting layers of generous velvet juice – hedonistic pleaseures here we come!
(Drink from 2028) – Outstanding – (94 – 95p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Last but not least Chambertin Clos de Bezé in my view the top wine at Domaine Duroché … The Domaine Duroché, Chambertin Clos de Bezé 2017 comes from a plot located in the central part of Clos de Bèze above Chapelle-Chambertin. Made from old vines planted in 1920 – offering both weight, length and power. It’s tremendously deep and very layered – yet somewhat more casual than the 2016. A treat for the palate – in the best possible way .. with a quite outstandingly depth.
(Drink from 2030) – Outstanding – (94 – 95p) – Tasted 30/05/2018
Winehog – Recommendations
Domaine Duroché produce a quite large portfolio of wines … and it seems that I prefer the same wines each year – as the inherent style of the cuvées seem to remain fairly stable regardless of the vintage.
This year I would indeed pick the Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Etelois 2017, a village wine and a special wine one should try.
I have a soft spot for the Lavaux St. Jacques and in 2017 for the Charmes-Chambertin – and furthermore the Latriciere Chambertin is the wine of the vintage almost matching the Chambertin Clos de Bèze.
The Griotte with its 100% whole cluster grapes is a special wine .. highly recommended, but with a production of 80 bottles it’s hardly sensible to recommend this.
- Visit Domaine Duroché – tasting of the 2017s from cask This is my third visit to Domaine Duroché one of the rising stars of Gevrey-Chambertin. Pierre Duroché made some quite tremendous 2015s and 2016s, but it’s in my view somewhat to early to open these for a taste – although they have reached the restaurants already. The 2014s from Duroché are fine for early drinking now, and ...
- Notes and comments to visits in May 2018 The 2017s are showing beautifully in most cases – considering it’s rather early in the elevage. Malo in most cases were finished very or fairly early, and reds are given the nature of the vintage made with a rather light hand – also making the wines easier to taste at this stage. In my view it’s ...
- Visit Domaine Duroché – tasting of the 2016s from cask This is my second visit to Domaine Duroché one of the rising stars of Gevrey-Chambertin – the first one being the tasting of the 2015s in November last year – see the article here. Pierre Duroché made some tremendous 2015s, but it’s in my view way to early to open these for a taste – although ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Duroché Chambertin Clos de Bèze Domaine Duroché is one of the rising stars of Gevrey-Chambertin – as Pierre Duroché has increased the quality of the wines significantly within the latest vintages – the 2014s are lovely, the 2015s are magnificent and the 2016s are perhaps even more impressive. Pierre Duroché is a lucky vigneron as he is blessed with some lovely ...
- The red 2016s – Impressions and first insights After running through my tasting notes from my June 2017 trip I have updated my impressions on the 2016 red Burgundies. Thibaud Clerget of Domaine Y. Clerget. I will update these impressions as I taste more 2016s over the next year, and add more insights ass I find them. Red Burgundies 2016 – style and impressions The 2016 red ...
- Vineyard Insight: Latricières-Chambertin The Gevrey-Chambertin appellation is large with quite a lot of rather large Grand Crus generously allocated when the current classification was established. Not all plots of the Gevrey Grand Crus are of high standard, and yet still they are famous in the Burgundy world where names like Charmes Chambertin and Mazis Chambertin have a great ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Duroché Gevrey-Chambertin Aux Etelois I have spend a lot of time looking at different Burgundian maps during the last five years and still it never cease to amaze me how many for me rather unknown terroirs I can find when I just take a quick glance at one of the appellation. And once in a while I stumble across beautiful ...
- Visit Domaine Duroché – tasting of the 2015s from cask The mysterious world of Gevrey-Chambertin – the reemerging appellation. I got off on the wrong foot with Gevrey-Chambertin back in the 1990s … buying and tasting extracted, concentrated and or decade-macerated wines. Back in the days where many of these wines tasted more like a Bordeaux with the raspy tannins of a Barolo! – a ...