The Pommard Clos des Epeneaux 02 from Armand is still quite backward. In the nose layers of dark berry fruit … quite introvert … with notes of plums and tar. On the palate quite intense and dark – with a muscular and powerful midpalate and a long earthy mineral driven finish. It’s not austere but certainly not showing any resolved complexity and is strangely distant and introvert. Would try to keep it 10 years more .. and hope for more complexity. A good wine … but I’m not a fan!
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Comte Armand, Pommard Clos des Epeneaux 2011 March 8, 2014
- Comte Armand, Pommard Clos des Epeneaux 2002 January 13, 2014
- Comte Armand, Pommard Clos des Epeneaux 2010 March 16, 2013
- Comte Armand Clos des Epeneaux – the Monopole Pommard is an appellation of clos (walled vineyards) and quite a few monopoles. While the definitions of clos and monopole are pretty clear and straightforward, the vineyards in Pommard sometimes take on somewhat strange permutations to attain these vaunted distinctions. A Wineghog reader last week was looking at maps and noticed that the Clos des Èpeneaux vineyard ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points My aim with the Winehog is unchanged, but I have for some time wanted a stronger focus on the hedonistic pleasure and simple enjoyment of drinking Burgundies. I have therefore adjusted my mission statement: “My mission is to help readers find more joy and hedonistic pleasure in Burgundy wines; to help them understand the terroirs and ...