The Roty Charmes Chambertin 1996 is a big brute … pure but somewhat old school with more punch than caressses currently. In the bouquet very dense and weighty red and darkberry fruit, hints of soy, sous-bois – and powered by a quite powerful minerality lurking underneath the quite tightly wound fruit. On the palate considerable weight, with layers of fruit – quite atypical for this often edgy and bony vintage. Its a powerhouse – old school Charmes – with a lovely nerve and verve. Is at least 10 years from full maturity … drinkable now – but will be quite magnificent when it’s firing on all cylinders.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Joseph Roty, Griotte Chambertin 1996 October 21, 2018
- Domaine Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 1996 February 17, 2015
- Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 2002 January 9, 2013
- Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 2001 December 14, 2012
- Joseph Roty, Mazis Chambertin 2006 July 11, 2012
- Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 2001 October 12, 2011
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Joseph Roty, Charmes-ChambertinOne of the best wines produced from Charmes-Chambertin is in my view is the tremendous Charmes-Chambertin Tres Vieilles Vignes from Domaine Joseph Roty. While Domaine Joseph Roty is very discrete presumably avoiding publicity, they do however make strong statements with their wines. They have consistently produced great wines over the last decades. I have had the pleasure ...
- Vineyard Insight: Griotte-ChambertinGriotte-Chambertin has a special place in my Burgundy heart – as it was one of the first Grand Crus I acquired when I began to collect Burgundies around 1990. I adore a good Griotte as it often seems to offer both drinkability and delicate complexity not often found in a Gevrey – aside form the magnificent ...
- WineHog rating system – more than pointsMy aim with the Winehog is unchanged, but I have for some time wanted a stronger focus on the hedonistic pleasure and simple enjoyment of drinking Burgundies. I have therefore adjusted my mission statement: “My mission is to help readers find more joy and hedonistic pleasure in Burgundy wines; to help them understand the terroirs and ...