The Charmes Chambertin 2001 from Roty is a big old school Burgundy. Quite mature bouquet with wonderful sweet aromas of pinot fruit. A bit rustic but also showing fine complexity with hints of forest bed. This is really a big wine, good length sweet aromas and a very firm structure behind the ripe and quite mature pinot flavors. The acidity is quite high but is currently well balanced by the fruit. Would not keep this 10 years more, as some fresh fruit is needed to match the acidity.
(Drink from 2011) Very Fine – 93p
Tasted 28/09/2011 at Gustavs Bistro
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Joseph Roty, Griotte Chambertin 1996 October 21, 2018
- Domaine Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 1996 February 17, 2015
- Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 2002 January 9, 2013
- Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 2001 December 14, 2012
- Joseph Roty, Mazis Chambertin 2006 July 11, 2012
- Joseph Roty, Charmes Chambertin 2001 October 12, 2011
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Joseph Roty, Charmes-Chambertin One of the best wines produced from Charmes-Chambertin is in my view is the tremendous Charmes-Chambertin Tres Vieilles Vignes from Domaine Joseph Roty. While Domaine Joseph Roty is very discrete presumably avoiding publicity, they do however make strong statements with their wines. They have consistently produced great wines over the last decades. I have had the pleasure ...
- Vineyard Insight: Griotte-Chambertin Griotte-Chambertin has a special place in my Burgundy heart – as it was one of the first Grand Crus I acquired when I began to collect Burgundies around 1990. I adore a good Griotte as it often seems to offer both drinkability and delicate complexity not often found in a Gevrey – aside form the magnificent ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...