The 1980 vintage is before my Burgundy time, and while I have tasted quite many 1985s … the lovely 1980s always seem to elute me .. but not this time. I found the 1980 Louis Jadot Volnay Santenots at a restaurant in northern France at a very reasonable price … 108€ to be precise .. and since I know Jadot keep well, and I quite adore the1980 vintage the decision was very simple. The bouquet of this 35 year old was deep earthy and complex with sweet red fruit, orange notes, initially hints of tar and iodine. At bit restrained and old in the beginning but unfolded completely within the next two hours .. offering a fully mature and quite regal red fruit infused with a lovely earthy minerality from the fine terroir. On the palate same story, a bit restained initially .. then the wine expanded in the glass offering juicy and quite rich midpalate fruit – impressive depth and freshness for this age. Not a very big wine .. but a perfectly mature Volnay .. I loved each drop.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Louis Jadot, Batard-Montrachet 1996 January 5, 2018
- Louis Jadot, Savigny Les Beaune 1er cru 2008 September 2, 2016
- Maison Louis Jadot, Bonnes Mares 1962 January 24, 2016
- Maison Louis Jadot, Beaune Les Avaux 1999 January 17, 2016
- Louis Jadot, Chambertin Clos de Béze 1996 October 18, 2015
- Louis Jadot, Volnay Santenots 1980 June 28, 2015
- Louis Jadot, Gevrey Chambertin Clos Saint-Jacques 1996 July 16, 2014
- Louis Jadot, Gevrey Chambertin Clos Saint Jacques 1990 January 6, 2014
- Louis Jadot, Beaune Clos des Ursules 1990 November 25, 2013
- Louis Jadot, Beaune Clos des Ursules 1996 August 31, 2013
- Louis Jadot, Chassagne-Montrachet Morgeot 1996 January 29, 2013
- Louis Jadot, Meursault Genevrieres 1999 January 17, 2013
- Louis Jadot, Meursault Blagny 1988 January 16, 2013
- Louis Jadot, Batard Montrachet 1995 September 16, 2011
- Louis Jadot Les Cazetiers 1990 June 27, 2011
- Louis Jadot Beaune Coucheraux 1955 June 27, 2011
- Louis Jadot Chassagne Les Caillerets 1989 June 27, 2011
- The odd and fabulous Jadot Musigny 1977! I once tasted a magnificent negociant Musigny from a very, very unlikely vintage. The wine was Louis Jadot’s Musigny 1977. Jadot generally produces a fine Musigny, but perhaps not at the very top of the Musigny range. And ’77 was an appallingly poor vintage. I tasted the wine in the early or mid 1990s. The ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses The Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the most prominent wines from this refined and sensual vineyard. I have therefore taken a closer look at the Vogüé Les Amoureuses … as most by now know that Les Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the delights of Burgundy … filigree, cool ...
- Vineyard Insight: Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is the delight of Burgundy … filigree, sensual, cool and refined. The female pendant to Musigny with the same type of regal minerality – yet more delicate and lightfooted – without the sheer power and depth of the mighty Musigny. By heart it’s a 1er cru – and while many argue that it ...
- Terroir Insight: Maison Louis Jadot, Musigny The Musigny from Louis Jadot is somehow a bit overlooked, but nevertheless produced on a plot next to one of the most hyped Musigny’s – the rare and very expensive Musigny from Domaine Georges Roumier. Louis Jadot began to make wine from the current plot of Musigny in 1985 – but even before this Musigny Grand ...
- Chevalier-Montrachet Les Demoiselles and the 1861 classification dateOne rarely see plots, sections or vineyards promoted to Grand Cru in Burgundy – the classification is very stable although some changes have been seen over the years. La Grande Rue was promoted to Grand Cru in 1992 and Clos des Lambrays was promoted to Grand Cru in 1981. In 1929 a part of Chambolle Musigny ...