During the Hospices de Beaune weekend I was lucky and got invited to a Masterclass tasting of Bouchard Pere et Fils 2014s.
The tasting was conducted by the new Maitre de Chai (Cellar Master) Frédéric Weber, and comprised a fine selection of the 2014s – both reds and whites.
In this article I will cover the reds from the delightful Monthélie to the mighty Chambertin Clos de Béze.
The Bouchard Pere et Fils 2014s
The 2014 vintage mark a change for Bouchard Pere et Fils, as this is the first vintage made by the new winemaker Frédéric Weber.
The previous winemaker Philippe Prost is still with Bouchard but now as technical director – supporting Frédéric Weber with his huge knowledge about the Bouchard estate and vineyards. It should be noted that Frédéric Weber has been with Bouchard since 2003 working under the guidance of Philippe Prost – as assistant winemaker.
The 2014 reds from Bouchard Pere et Fils … a big step up
I have had quite many fine bottles of reds from Bouchard but always found the quality and the style a bit up and down … and not fully homogenious stylewise.
The 2014 does however to mark a change for the reds – they seem to be more consistent stylewise … and here one also notices a change towards a more refined and delicate impression of the fruit.
In my view the quality of the 2014s reds is significantly better than the previous vintages (given the vintage) … and Bouchard is now matching that of the very best negociant houses.
I must say I’m very impressed by this change of style and the improvement of quality … truly delightful reds from Bouchard in 2014.
Tasting notes – Bouchard Pere et Fils reds 2014
As mentioned above I was delightfully surprised by the 2014 reds, and while I know the 2014 vintage is perhaps not the vintage of the century … these are the style of wines that I love to enjoy … pure, juicy and charming … and now to the notes!
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Monthélie 2014
The Monthélie 2014 is a delightful “little” wine that I would love to have in my cellar. It’s gently made .. 20% new oak, 20% whole cluster. In the nose juicy red berry fruit, slightly dusty minerality – a cheerful wine from the get go. On the palate fine pure fruit – good concentration for this level – offering a lovely drinkability with a nice impression of terroir. For me a delightful entry level Burgundy – highly recommended at this price point
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune du Chateau 1er cru 2014
The Beaune du Chateau 1er cru is quite a step up in weight from the Monthélie. The bouquet is very expressive and forward with red and dark fruit notes spiced with a classic earthy Beaune minerality . On the palate rich and openly knit offering a good drinkability – although it’s lacking the definition and focus of the Beaune Clos de Mousse.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune Clos de Mousse 2014
The Beaune Clos de Mousse is in my view a quite big step up from the Beaune du Chateau. The bouquet offer juicy red fruit brought forward by a deep earthy minerality. On the palate lovely juicy fruit, very good definition and focus – offering a classic Beaune experience … a truly lovely wine
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune Greves l’Enfant Jesus 2014
The Beaune Greves l’Enfant Jesus is a signature wine for Bouchard Pere et Fils – and the 2014 edition offers a beautiful expression of the magnificent Greves terroir. In the nose lovely red and fruits, variations of red and dark cherries and forest berries – interlinked with a deep and detailed earthy minerality. On the palate refined juicy fruit – focused with a lovely airy feel .. it’s long, refined and delicious … classic Greves.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Volnay Caillerets Ancienne Cuvée Carnot 2014
This is another of the signature wines of Bouchard Pere et Fils, as this vineyard was the first holdings acquired by the Bouchard familily 240 years ago. The bouquet offer fresh and detailed juicy fruit and a more lightfooted expression of the 2014 vintage … it’s forward and expressive (30% whole cluster) and more transparent that the Beaune wines. On the palate juicy and energetic offering a refined view to the Volnay appelation. It’s a quite lightfooted wine – delicate, pure and refined.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Le Corton 2014
The Corton offers a big step up in weight and concentration … but is still delightfully refined and balanced. It’s normally one of my favorite wines from Bouchard – and the 2014 edition is most certainly not disappointing. In the bouquet fine detailed fruit – pomegranate and red currant – brought forward by a lovely white marly minerality. On the palate refined with a lovely intensity – love the core of sweet red fruit on the midpalate. Delightful energy and balance … a vibrant and fresh Corton in the making.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Cailles 2014
I really like the 2014 Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Cailles from Bouchard … a quite refined NSG considering the location of the vineyard next to the somewhat more austere Les Saint-Georges. In the bouquet lovely expressive red fruit (40% whole cluster and 40% new oak) … complex with a nice underlying minerality. On the palate fine depth and weight … not maching the Corton though .. but as always a slightly serious wine in a refined non edgy way. A fine vibrant NSG in the making.
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Clos de Vougeot 2014
The Clos de Vougeot is showing very well offering a both juicy and vibrant representation of the appellation. In the nose red fruit .. quite floral (40 – 50% whole cluster), hints of plum and chocolate spiced with a deep earthy minerality. On the palate quite refined and lightfooted for the appellation offering a very nice verve and energy. A both intense, juicy and vibrant Clos de Vougeot … well done!
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chambertin Clos-de-Béze 2014
The Chambertin Clos de Beze is quite a step up from the other reds – a big, impressive and quite backward Grand Cru in the making. The bouquet is currently quite closed showing juicy red and dark berry fruit and a powerful earthy minerality … intense and tightly knit. On the palate rich, intense and powerful for the vintage … very tightly knit yet still quite transparent. A mighty terroir … will need 15 years or more to unfold. Impressed by the combination of intensity and the filigree refinement of the fruit.
Latest tasting Notes for this producer
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune Greves l’Enfant Jesus 2017 May 3, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Corton-Charlemagne 2017 May 1, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chevalier Montrachet 2017 April 25, 2019
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Genevrieres 2016 July 8, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Meursault Perrieres 2016 July 7, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune St. Landry 2016 July 7, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Montrachet 2016 June 20, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Bonnes Mares 2016 June 19, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Chambertin Clos de Beze 2016 June 18, 2018
- Bouchard Pere et Fils, Montrachet 2014 June 15, 2018
- Comte Georges de Vogüé 2017s – bottled and delightful Vogüé time! As mentioned before, in Denmark we have a fine tradition of Jean-Luc Pepin visiting each year in September or October to present the newly released de Vogüé lineup in Copenhagen. Jean-Luc Pepin and two faithful Vogüé fans Add to this some nice dinners, and we have what we call de Vogüé week; a lovely time ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses The Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the most prominent wines from this refined and sensual vineyard. I have therefore taken a closer look at the Vogüé Les Amoureuses … as most by now know that Les Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses is one of the delights of Burgundy … filigree, cool ...
- Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – 2017s from cask Time to taste the Vogüé wines from cask – after completed malo – all ready to taste .. and what a delightful surprise. So are they that good … indeed – the 2017 are showing just beautifully. The 2017s at Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé The 2017 vintage at Vogüé comes after the frosted 2016 vintage, and is ...
- Visit Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting of the 2016s Vogüé time .. tasting of the 2016s from bottle in Copenhagen + a few extra wines to add even more pleasure to the day. As usual Jean-Luc Pepin is in Copenhagen for this early premier of the vintage .. what a treat. Depressing quantities but magnificent quality Just a recap .. Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé lost ...
- Traditions makes history .. the essence of Burgundy .. Vogüé Sometimes it’s important to step back from the stressed everyday life, and appreciate, enjoy and be grateful. The annual Vogüé week as we can call this event – or rather series of events – has come to define the Burgundy year in Denmark, and with that a important part of the Burgundian tradition in Denmark. The tradition ...