Third visit at Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux … and what can I say – a very impressive visit, that confirms the constant improvements at this estate.
At my last visit Charles Lachaux eagerly began to explain about the changes they have made at the estate in recent vintages. Explained about less use of new oak, less extraction and furthermore the introduction of a quite high percentage of whole cluster grapes in the wines.
Furthermore work with biodynamic viticulture is in progress, showing the way for further improvements in the viticulture – this is definitely an estate to follow and an estate to cheer.
The lighter 2017s ..
The 2017 vintage is a lovely vintage – but while it’s good it’s however in my view not what one would call a great vintage.
Arnoux-Lachaux has however improved the quality even further in 2017, and while the two previous vintages were potentially bigger vintages, the 2017s does show an excellent potential here.
Charles Lachaux seems very clear and focused in what he is doing – and this certainly corresponded well with the 2017s he has produced. These are elegant wines – with a lovely weight, although perhaps without the sheer weight of the 2016s and especially the 2015s.
Again … lets be honest while these vintages are even considered great, the 2017s har a vivid lightness from Arnoux-Lachaux, a lightness I personally enjoy and quite adore.
So better than the 2015s and 2016s – no presumably not – as attractive as the two more dense vintages – perhaps and especially considering the year.
Tasting notes from the tasting on June 19th 2017
All the wines showed well and ready to taste …. congratulations to Charles Lachaux … lovely lineup.
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2017
The Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2017 is a delightful generic wine from excellent plots below the road (D974) in Chambolle-Musigny, Vosne-Romanee and Nuits-Saint-Georges. The bouquet is very forward and quite floral (70% Whole Cluster) offering a vivid fruit – notes of red currant and red cherries. For this level lovely depth and complexity. Lighter and perhaps more lively than the 2016.
(Drink from 2020) – Good (86 – 87p) – Tasted 14/11/2018
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuist-Saint-Georges 2017
The Nuits-Saint-Georges 2016 is a blend of several different vineyards – with the majority of the area located north of Nuits-Saint-Georges. The is a rather classic NSG – minerality displaying iron and clay. The nose is offering lovely juicy fruit notes of red and dark cherries, hint of red currant. Lovely complexity.
(Drink from 2025) – Very Good (88 – 89p) – Tasted 14/11/2018
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Chambolle-Musigny 2017
The Chambolle-Musigny comes from several different plots located quite high in the Chambolle appellation south of the village – i.e. from the area that was highly affected by the April 2016 frost – but back in 2017. A fine wine – displaying quite a lovely Chambolle fruit – offering lovely flow and drinkability – not quite matching the Vosne village though.
(Drink from 2025) – Very Good (88 – 89p) – Tasted 14/11/2018
Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée 2017
The Vosne-Romanée 2016 is a delight with a lovely intensity for the vintage. This wine comes from Aux Communes, Aux Saules and is a fresh and complete village – 70% whole cluster used as far as I recall. The nose offer juicy red and dark berry fruit – raspberries, red currants and boysenberries – spiced with cinnamon and a hint of cloves and violets. On the palate energetic fruit – lovely mineral spiciness.
(Drink from 2027) – Very Good+ (89 – 90p) – Tasted 14/11/2018
You need to login as a Premium Subscriber to see all the tasting notes and ratings. If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2008 May 23, 2018
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanée Saint-Vivant 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Aux Reignots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Latriciere Chambertin 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Clos de Vougeot 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Procès 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Chaumes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos de Corvees Pagets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Poisets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Maizieres Hautes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Chambolle-Musigny 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Bourgogne Pinot Fin 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2014 February 13, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2006 January 10, 2017
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2008 December 18, 2014
- Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Romanee-Saint-Vivant 2008 February 19, 2013
- The Burgundy year 2019 The Burgundy year 2019 is moving rapidly towards its end after many memorable moments. To be honest, I hate mission statements and other statements of objectives, but in the end they can be a useful rounding out of the year. The vins d’émotion – what’s in the glass Missions and statements are fine, but in the end, ...
- Tasting the 2018s at Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux Charles Lachaux is taking some giant leaps for, if not mankind, then at least for the hedonistic pleasure of yours truly and other connoisseurs. His 2018 wines are another clear step towards the very top echelon of Burgundy and Vosne-Romanee. They are airy, energetic, and vivid, with tremendous joie de vivre – true vins d’émotion. And Charles ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Echezeaux Echezeaux is a complex vineyard, and actually only quite a few of the wines that are produced from one climate within the large Echezeaux vineyard. Many are wines from two or even several areas in the Echezeaux vineyard. There are however some prominent single vineyard Echezeaux’s .. and one is the Echezeaux made by Charles Lachaux ...
- Terroir View: Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots Today rules and classifications are followed relatively strictly and names like Grands Suchots and Les Hautes Suchots are now glorious labels of the past. They are names signalling greatness especially of the upper part of Vosne-Romanée Les Suchots One of the best Les Suchots from the upper part of the vineyard is made at Domaine ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Arnoux-Lachaux, NSG Clos des Corvées Pagets One of my favourite wines from Charles Lachaux is the Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos des Corvées Pagets, a rather overlooked terroir located between Clos Saint-Marc, and Clos des la Corvées in the northern end of Premeaux – in the southern end of the Nuits-Saint-Georges appellation. So let’s take a closer look at the Arnoux-Lachaux plot in Nuits-Saint-Georges ...