One of the highlights on my November 2014 tour de Bourgogne was my very first visit at Domaine Cathiard.
I have seen the wines from this Domaine improve tremendously over the years – a development that was accentuated when Sebastian Cathiard took over in 2011. Both the 2011s and the 2012s are gorgeous and have really moved the estate into the very top division of the Vosne vignerons.
I was received by the friendly, thoughtful and determined Sebastian Cathiard on a lovely November afternoon … after two days of heavy rain in Burgundy.
The estate is newly renovated with a beautiful new cellar … all is very orderly and meticulously clean .. this is a very serious operation.
The 2013s from Domaine Cathiard
The 2013s from Cathiard are gorgeous .. and the vintage seems to suit the estate style perfectly … with the crisp acidity adding even more dimensions to these lovely and juicy wines.
Sebastian have reduced the use of new oak somewhat in the 2013s … further enhancing the transparency and expression of terroir. The combination of the fresh and vibrant acidity of the 2013 vintage and the slightly lighter impression of oak is working very well indeed.
All the wines offer lovely juicy fruit .. fine nerve and energy with a lovely display of terroir. The definition and focus is very fine and perhaps even better than the previous vintages (relatively speaking) … and the expression of the different terroirs is very impressive.
A perfect example is the two Nuits- Saint-Georges 1er crus – Aux Murgers and Aux Thorey … they are both lovely and expressive … but very different … with the Aux Murgers being rich, sweet and juicy and the Aux Thorey offering a more delicate, precise and feminine side of Burgundy.
All the wines share a gorgeous juicy drinkability that in my view is a very important quality of this domaine .. they do drink well .. if you can get hold of them, that is!
Tasting Notes from tasting on November 5th 2014
All the wines were tasted from cask at the estate on November 5th 2014 – under the guidance of Sebastian Cathiard.
Domaine Cathiard, Bourgogne Rouge 2013
The 2013 Bourgogne Rouge is a lovely vibrant effort. In the nose fine vibrant red and dark fruits, hints of earthy minerality. On the palate quite substantial weight for this level, powered by a lovely crisp acidity. Lovely energy and balance here … a lovely Bourgogne Rouge.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2013
The Vosne-Romanee village from Cathiard have become a benchmark wine for me over the last years, as it offers a lot of the qualities I value in a good village – terroir typicity, balance, good complexity, high drinkability and first and foremost pleasure. The nose offer elegant red and dark berry fruit, spiced with a nice expression of Vosne terroir. On the palate effortless balance and a lovely midpalate fruit. The vibrant 2013 acidity is adding both focus and nerve to the wine … and the transparency is fine offering a nice view of the terroirs involved. It’s a wine made from several different terroirs, so I doesn’t offer a very defined expression of one single terroir. I do however feel that the reduction of new oak have improved the sense of definition in the wine … will be very exiting to follow.
Domaine Cathiard, Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme 2013
The Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme is somehow the odd one out in the Cathiard collection .. but its nevertheless a lovely Chambolle. The bouquet is offering a charming mixture of Chambolle terroir and Vosne vinification .. its clearly a Chambolle but still the Cathiard impression gives a lovely impression of Vosne. Its offering dark cherries and red fruit brought forward by a lovely minerality. On the palate very vibrant and energetic with the acidity bringing forward the mineralic components in the wine. The fruit is sweet ripe and deep coming from 70 year old vines. A delightful glass.
Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Thorey 2013
In have previously made the mistake on focusing too little on the two Nuits-Saint-Georges wines from Cathiard .. but no more. The Aux Thorey is a very delicate and refined NSG. In the nose fine slightly darker fruit supported by a lovely filigree minerality. On the palate beautiful focus and concentration … lovely cool and juicy fruit. Its focused, refined offering a lovely filigree expression of terroir.
Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Murgeres 2013
The Aux Mugeres is a completely different story. The nose offer gorgeous expressive red fruit … with a charming sweetness … and a more openly knit minerality. On the palate beautiful red fruit … lovely depth in the fruit and a very charming sweetness on the midpalete fruit. Lovely transparancy and purity in the fruit … a very charming effort.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2013
The Aux Reignots 2013 is slightly reserved at the moment … but offers the classical Reignots virtues i.e. a crunchy minerality and loads of Vosne spicyness. In the nose relatively dark fruits supported by a vibrant minerality. On the palate very pure and vibrant fruit, fine concentration and a energetic minerality. The vines are still quite young here .. but the wine is nevertheless offering lovely depth and expression of terroir.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux 2013
The Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux is a delightful effort from Cathiard – 66% new oak. The nose is quite expressive with a lovely floral feel – deep fruit and crisp minerality. On the palate expressive and juicy fruit – relatively openly knit – with fine midpalate body and a lovely silky feel to the fruit and tannins. It offers a lovely drinkability and is very refined … happy wine.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee les Suchots 2013
Moving up in weight and concentration the Vosne Les Suchots is showing more dark notes than the previous wines and have received 100% new oak. In the nose dark berry fruit – notes of plum, balck currant, boysenberries – infused with a quite earthy minerality. On the palete layers of relatively dark fruit, powerful, velvet and very juicy. Love the balance and focus of this Suchots … in my view one of the best wines produced on this large and fragmented 1er cru.
Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2013
The Aux Malconsorts is a big step up in quality from the Suchots … but is somewhat backward and slightly introvert at this stage. In the nose rich and layered dark fruit – black currant, red currant, dark cherries, plum – intensely spiced with violets and a deep minerality. On the palate rich and layered fruit very juicy with a lovely nerve and energy. Love the vibrant acidity and the interaction with the powerful midpalate fruit … a quite muscular but still refined wine. A gorgeous effort.
Domaine Cathiard, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2013
The Romanee Saint-Vivant is a magnificent wine .. classy, sensual and refined. In the bouquet multiple layers of red and darker fruits infused with a explosion of Vosne spices. On the palate layers of juicy and sikly fruit, intense with a zen like balance and effortlessness. The complexity is stunning offering delicate purity in the long, focused and lingering finish. Not the most powerful Vosne grand cru ever .. but certainly among the most refined. A truly outstanding effort … the delicacy is to die for.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2012 January 7, 2019
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Aux Malconsorts 2011 July 7, 2018
- Domaine Cathiard, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee les Suchots 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Murgers 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Thorey 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Bourgogne Rouge 2014 March 7, 2016
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2013 December 13, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee En Orveaux 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Malconsorts 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Romanee Saint-Vivant 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee les Suchots 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Murgers 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges Aux Thorey 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Chambolle-Musigny Clos de l’Orme 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Bourgogne Rouge 2013 April 3, 2015
- Domaine Cathiard, Nuits-Saint-Georges 2011 December 25, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2012 December 20, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Les Suchots 2004 December 16, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Aux Malconsorts 2011 July 7, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee 2012 May 23, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne-Romanee Aux Reignots 2012 May 20, 2014
- Domaine Cathiard, Vosne Aux Malconsorts 2012 May 17, 2014
- Visit to Domaine Cathiard – tasting the 2018s from cask I’m back at Domaine Cathiard after missing the 2017s last winter. And YES, it is good to be back. Cathiard has certainly taken its place in the Vosne hierarchy as a regular, dependable producer of hedonistic and very enjoyable wines. These are great wines. So let’s get thrilled … Photo: Sebastien Cathiard, November 2019 Impression and notes from tasting ...
- What are we drinking? Cathiard Malconsorts x 3 A few weeks back, I was at a tremendous tasting where three bottles of Cathiard Malconsorts were opened as an extra treat at the end of the event. The trio of 2014, 2015 and 2016 is a display of Vosne supremacy. Not many wines outside the appellation are a match for a Cathiard firing on all ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Cathiard, Romanée Saint-Vivant The Romanee Saint-Vivant from Domaine Cathiard is a very pristine bottle – rare, expensive and first and foremost a tremendous glass of pinot. It is rare to see wines match the price of DRC – but on occasion the Cathiard Romanée Saint-Vivant is seen to match the RSV from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti – and while ...
- Visit Domaine Cathiard tasting of the 2016s from cask To be honest it’s difficult to write an intro to this article – as I’m running out of adjectives regarding the magnificent wines from Domaine Sylvain Cathiard. In my view this is an estate that is truly at the top of its game – yet quality seem to get a notch higher each year. Great ...
- Impressions from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti and Cathiard Thursday was a busy day, starting out with a memorable tasting at Domaine de la Romanée-Conti. First out a tasting of the 2016 vintage from cask with Alexandre Bernier, the righthand man of Bernard Noblet. Related articles