In the twilight zone between frost and mildew we find a revelation, as the 2016 wines rise from the ashes like Phoenix … full of vibrant life and energy.
While the producers rightfully complain about the low quantities in the 2016 vintage – most are now trying to repress the memory of the 2016 growing season and the desperation that was ruling the Côte during the summer of 2016.
David Croix – photo taken January 2017 at Domaine Roulot
The tasting at Domaine des Croix revived some of these emotions – contrasted by the delightful experience of tasting the 2016 from this excellent estate – with David brutally honest explaining how he almost gave up producing the last wine of the harvest after fighting the weather throughout most of the growing season.
Luckily David persevered … and made what could be made – the harvest here is quite minuscule with only a relatively small number of cuvées and to make matters worse only small quantities of many of these. For the record no Corton Vigne Au Saint was made in 2016 due to the frost and mildew – get the magnificent 2015 if you have the opportunity.
When tasting the wines – it a celebration to Burgundy – classic Burgundies with loads of tension and energy The are defying the hardship nature showed in this vintage. It was a struggle – but in the end the 2016 vintage pulled through offering some truly lovely wines.
The 2016s from Domaine des Croix
The style of the 2016 vintages suits the terroirs of Domaine des Croix – Beaune, Aloxe-Corton and Corton really benefits from a vintage with a lot of playful energy and freshness.
You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article . If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Les Cents Vignes 2015 January 12, 2018
- Domaine des Croix, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Peuillets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Pertuisots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Corton Greves 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Corton La Vigne au Saint 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Greves 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Bressandes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Aloxe Corton Les Boutières 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Village 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Les Greves 2009 April 18, 2012
- Terroir Insight: Domaine des Croix Corton-CharlemagneDavid Croix has opened my eyes to red Corton, with his work at both Camille Giraud and Domaine des Croix. I have, however, little experience with the Corton-Charlemagne from David, as I usually taste his reds quite early in their maturation, when the whites are not yet ready for sampling. The Corton-Charlemagne is from vineyards owned ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine des Croix Corton Les GrèvesDavid Croix has opened my eyes to red Corton, with his work at both Camille Giroud and Domaine des Croix. As I mentioned in a previous article, David Croix is for me one of Corton’s masters. He has the ability to transform this big grand cru into a hedonistic treasure and a true wine of pleasure. The ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine Meo-Camuzet – Corton La Vigne au SaintJean-Nicolas Meo has expanded his presence on the Corton hill, and now produces three single-vineyard Cortons and a negociant Corton-Charlemagne. At the same time, he seems to have lightened his extraction somewhat since 2007-08. As a result, the wines now seem a bit more hedonistic and lively. In 2009 he expanded the domaine with a plot ...
- Terroir Insight: Domaine des Croix – Corton La Vigne au SaintVin d’émotion: La Vigne au Saint in the hands of David Croix often has that special touch and energy. David Croix is for me one of Corton’s masters, who on occasion transforms this grand cru into a hedonistic treasure and a true wine of pleasure. La Vigne au Saint is an overlooked Corton that I adore, ...
- Corton, Corton, red Corton .. exploring the hillThis week I attended a tasting of red Corton; a rare thing, in Denmark at least. The tasting included 10 Cortons from five producers, all top-flight amongst the panoply of Corton producers. The purpose was to learn: learn about different parts of the Corton vineyards, learn about the different producers … or in short, LEARN. It was ...