In the twilight zone between frost and mildew we find a revelation, as the 2016 wines rise from the ashes like Phoenix … full of vibrant life and energy.
While the producers rightfully complain about the low quantities in the 2016 vintage – most are now trying to repress the memory of the 2016 growing season and the desperation that was ruling the Côte during the summer of 2016.
David Croix – photo taken January 2017 at Domaine Roulot
The tasting at Domaine des Croix revived some of these emotions – contrasted by the delightful experience of tasting the 2016 from this excellent estate – with David brutally honest explaining how he almost gave up producing the last wine of the harvest after fighting the weather throughout most of the growing season.
Luckily David persevered … and made what could be made – the harvest here is quite minuscule with only a relatively small number of cuvées and to make matters worse only small quantities of many of these. For the record no Corton Vigne Au Saint was made in 2016 due to the frost and mildew – get the magnificent 2015 if you have the opportunity.
When tasting the wines – it a celebration to Burgundy – classic Burgundies with loads of tension and energy The are defying the hardship nature showed in this vintage. It was a struggle – but in the end the 2016 vintage pulled through offering some truly lovely wines.
The 2016s from Domaine des Croix
The style of the 2016 vintages suits the terroirs of Domaine des Croix – Beaune, Aloxe-Corton and Corton really benefits from a vintage with a lot of playful energy and freshness.You need to login as a Premium subscriber to read the rest of this article . If you are not a Premium Subscriber, use the subscribe function and sign-up.
Latest Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine des Croix, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Peuillets 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Pertuisots 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Corton Greves 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Corton La Vigne au Saint 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Greves 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Bressandes 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Aloxe Corton Les Boutières 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Village 2015 July 11, 2017
- Domaine des Croix, Beaune Les Greves 2009 April 18, 2012
- Visit Domaine des Croix – tasting the 2016s from cask In the twilight zone between frost and mildew we find a revelation, as the 2016 wines rise from the ashes like Phoenix … full of vibrant life and energy. While the producers rightfully complain about the low quantities in the 2016 vintage – most are now trying to repress the memory of the 2016 growing season ...
- Collins Corner: Its a big world, Beaune When you read a missive from one of the Publicity Hounds that like to fill you in on the “prestige” wines, Beaune will be dismissed in a wave of condensation, “too many premier crus” and “lets go somewhere where there is only a barrel per Luit Dix made” somewhere in the Nuits. There is the lie ...
- Visit Domaine des Croix – tasting of the 2015s It’s always a great pleasure to taste the wines made by David Croix – both at Camille Giroud and at his own estate Domaine des Croix. The wines are juicy and very balanced offering tremendous pleasure at a relatively fair price … Let me just say .. the 2015s is no exception the wines are tremendously ...
- News: David Croix to work with Jean-Marc Roulot David Croix is going to work with Jean-Marc Roulot at Domaine Roulot in Meursault. He will be joining Domaine Roulot in the beginning of 2017. Earlier this summer it was announced that David Croix is retiring at Maison Camille Giroud – after 15 years as winemaker. He will be replaced by Carel Voorhuis who currently is ...
- News: David Croix to retire from Camille Giroud David Croix is retiring at Maison Camille Giroud – after 15 years as winemaker. He will be replaced by Carel Voorhuis who currently is working at Domaine d’Ardhuy. The change will happen at the end of this year, and consequently David will also vinify the 2016 vintage at Camille Giroud.
- 2015 impressions – the two last days of a lovely week On the last two days of my Burgundy trip I had five tastings. Domaine Faiveley, Domaine Pascal Bouley, Maison Camille Giroud, Domaine des Croix and last but not least Domaine J.-F. Mugnier in Chambolle Musigny. All visits offered lovely 2015s .. confirming the findings from the tastings done earlier on the week. Again please note .. ...
- Visit at Domaine des Croix … initial tasting of the 2014 vintage This was my first visit at Domaine des Croix, the personal domaine of David Croix, the very talented winemaker from Camille Giroud. The Domaine des Croix estate was founded 10 years ago by David and a group of investors. The first vintage was 2005 and the domaine mainly focus on reds from Cote de Beaune and ...
- Burgundy Day 3 …. a taste of 2014 and more 2013s The third day on my trip to Burgundy included four tastings .. Philippe Pacalet, Domaine des Croix, Maison Camille Giroud and lastly Domaine Berthaut in Fixin. A large selection of wines were tasted … approaching my maximum limit for tastings during one day … a lovely day nevertheless. Here are some initial impressions .. tasting notes will ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points Tasting and rating wine is not exact science … and therefore I prefer to use a scale that reflects that wine is a living organism and that a wine can taste like 94 points one day … and 93 the next day … depending on the moon, the glass, temperature and or my mood! I ...