I find it very gratifying to promote new, talented people and estates; it’s one of the primary functions of the Winehog.
To explain this initiative a bit further, while I find the work of young vignerons like Charles Lachaux truly admirable, these top producers already have the full attention of the wine world and, furthermore, plenty of great vineyards with which to express themselves.
The young, small negociants and estates do not, however, necessarily have the same exposure or access to noble terroirs, although their efforts are at least as admirable and just as enjoyable.
The Winehog “Flavour of the Year” award is for these young and/or new talents in Burgundy.
Marthe Henry Boillot – true vins d’émotion
The 2019 “Flavour of the Year” award goes to Maison Marthe Henry Boillot for wines from the 2017 vintage and for the fine promise shown by both the 2018 and 2019 vintages.
The reason for the honour is that Marthe Henry Boillot produces very pure, energetic wines with magnificent transparency and strong expressions of terroir.
A wine like Bourgogne Blanc Montatine has remarkable energy and zen-like balance with an extraordinary mineral depth and joie de vivre that even many grands crus in Burgundy miss: truly a vin d’émotion.
Marthe Henry Boillot is a new producer, but the 2017s are now in bottle fullfilling the promise I saw when I tasted the wines in 2018, and both the 2018s and the 2019s live up to this fine promise.
Previous and future winners
This is a relatively new award, and has only one previous winner: Domaine Moron-Garcia.
Maison de Joncs with Jae Chu would also have been a strong candidate, but she is now at Château Grillet in the Rhone. I still hope to see Jae again on Burgundian turf in the years to come.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Tasting the Marthe Henry Boillot 2018s“A wine like the Bourgogne Blanc Monatine 2017 has remarkable energy and zen-like balance with an extraordinary mineral depth and joie de vivre that even many grand crus in Burgundy miss: truly a vin d’émotion.” Marthe Henry Boillot This quote (of myself) was part of my motivation for awarding Marthe Henry Boillot the “Flavour of the Year” ...
- Flavour of the Year 2019 – Maison Marthe Henry BoillotI find it very gratifying to promote new, talented people and estates; it’s one of the primary functions of the Winehog. To explain this initiative a bit further, while I find the work of young vignerons like Charles Lachaux truly admirable, these top producers already have the full attention of the wine world and, furthermore, plenty ...
- Label for Marthe Henry BoillotNow we have the label for the exciting new estate in Meursault – Marthe Henry Boillot – just from the printer. I visited Marthe for the first time in June 2018 and have actually been waiting to see the label – that will present and sell these delightful and promising wines. Here you can read the ...
- Burgundy .. 2017 and a look at 2018The 2017s are now getting bottled in many estates, and its time to give a status, before the 2018s are ready to taste and evaluate. I have tasted quite a few 2017s over the past year – and some more in the last week – 11th to 15th of February. This has really confirmed the quality ...
- WineHog rating system – more than pointsMy aim with the Winehog is unchanged, but I have for some time wanted a stronger focus on the hedonistic pleasure and simple enjoyment of drinking Burgundies. I have therefore adjusted my mission statement: “My mission is to help readers find more joy and hedonistic pleasure in Burgundy wines; to help them understand the terroirs and ...