Prices, awards … perhaps it’s in the end all self-branding and nice words! – however I do find it gratifying to promote new and talented estates and people.
So i have decided to start a new Winehog Award called the “Flavour of the year” an award I will give to new and talented producers in the greater Burgundy.
The 2018 flavour of the year award goes to Domaine Moron-Garcia in Nuits-Saint-Georges – for wines from the 2017 vintage.
The motivation is that Moron-Garcia produce vivid, energetic wines with character and substance. The wines has a lovely complexity and a style quite unique for the estate, and the wines are made with refinement and a lovely expression of terroir. The wines do have quite some substance and do have more weight and depth than quite many modern wines of Burgundy today.
More info on Moron-Garcia can be found here
Previous and future winners
This is a new award … and therefore there are no older winners … but estates like Chantereves, Nicolas Faure and Domaine Thomas Collardot in Puligny-Montrachet would indeed have been favourites for the “flavour of the year” – as will Domaine Marthe Henry Boillot perhaps be when we get some more bottled wines from her.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Corton “Cuvée Baie par Baie” 2017 July 23, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Beaune Les Tuvilains 2017 April 26, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Marsannay Clos du Roy 2017 March 7, 2019
- Domaine Moron-Garcia, Bourgogne Blanc 2017 March 6, 2019
- Terroir Insight: Moron-Garcia Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues The Nuits-Saint-Georges village vineyard Les Herbues is attaining a special status, with extra appeal to vineyard geeks like me. Independent and individualist producers are exploring this terroir and making exciting wines – and in some cases even vins d’emotion. These are vignerons who spare no effort to make tremendous wine, and while Nicolas Faure was the ...
- Domaine Moron-Garcia – tasting the 2018s from cask On my trip to Burgundy in May I had the pleasure of revisiting Domaine Moron-Garcia in Nuits-Saint-Georges to taste the 2018s wines from cask. Wine and people Domaine Moron-Garcia is managed by Matthieu Moron and Pierre-Oliver Garcia, who are making some fabulous wines in a modest-sized cellar in Nuits-Saint-Georges. The first vintage for the estate was 2016. This ...
- Domaine Moron-Garcia – without compromise .. On my trip to Burgundy in November I had the pleasure of visiting Domaine Moron-Garcia in Nuits-Saint-Georges – to taste some 2017s and 2018s (quick samples). I had only tasted Domaine Moron-Garcia once before, so this is a new estate – at least to me. Wine and people Domaine Moron-Garcia is managed by Matthieu Moron and Pierre-Oliver Garcia ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points My aim with the Winehog is unchanged, but I have for some time wanted a stronger focus on the hedonistic pleasure and simple enjoyment of drinking Burgundies. I have therefore adjusted my mission statement: “My mission is to help readers find more joy and hedonistic pleasure in Burgundy wines; to help them understand the terroirs and ...