Prices, awards … perhaps it’s in the end all self-branding and nice words! – however I do find it gratifying to promote new and talented estates and people.
So i have decided to start a new Winehog Award called the “Flavour of the year” an award I will give to new and talented producers in the greater Burgundy.
The 2018 flavour of the year award goes to Domaine Moron-Garcia in Nuits-Saint-Georges – for wines from the 2017 vintage.
The motivation is that Moron-Garcia produce vivid, energetic wines with character and substance. The wines has a lovely complexity and a style quite unique for the estate, and the wines are made with refinement and a lovely expression of terroir. The wines do have quite some substance and do have more weight and depth than quite many modern wines of Burgundy today.
More info on Moron-Garcia can be found here
Previous and future winners
This is a new award … and therefore there are no older winners … but estates like Chantereves, Nicolas Faure and Domaine Thomas Collardot in Puligny-Montrachet would indeed have been favourites for the “flavour of the year” – as will Domaine Marthe Henry Boillot perhaps be when we get some more bottled wines from her.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Marthe Henry Boillot Aligote 2019 March 26, 2023
- Domaine Antoine Lienhardt Nuits-Saint-Georges Plantes Au Baron 2021 March 25, 2023
- Case Basse Soldera Toscana IGT 2018 March 23, 2023
- Domaine Camp-Atthalin Savigny-les-Beaune Les Prévaux 2019 March 23, 2023
- Domaine Antoine Lienhardt Emphase 2021 March 21, 2023
- Domaine J.-F. Mugnier, Nuits-Saint-Georges Clos de la Marechale 2019 March 21, 2023
- Theo Dancer Bourgogne Blanc 2020 March 21, 2023
- M & C Lapierre Beaujolais 2021 March 20, 2023
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Clos du Château 2014 October 25, 2022
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – Tasting the 2021s October 24, 2022
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée La Colombière 2009 October 21, 2022
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – Tasting the 2021s from Cask July 12, 2022
- Exploring the Domaine Tawse Musigny June 14, 2022
- On the Table, In the Glass #36: Un Vrai Vin de Soif June 6, 2022
- Domaine Charles Lachaux Côte de Nuits Villages Aux Montagnes 2019 April 3, 2022
- Domaine Bizot Vosne-Romanée Les Jachées 2006 March 25, 2022
- Domaine Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée 2008 March 24, 2022
- Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Clos du Chateau 2013 March 23, 2022
- Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Aligoté La Corvee de Bully 2014 March 11, 2022
- Domaine de Cassiopée Aligoté En Gerlieus 2020 March 10, 2022
- Nicolas Faure Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Herbues 2017 February 21, 2022
- Visit to Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé – tasting the 2020s from cask November 6, 2021
- Domaine Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Clos du Chateau 2007 in magnum September 8, 2021
- Domaine Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Clos du Chateau 2018 September 8, 2021
- Domaine Trapet Latricieres-Chambertin 2018 September 5, 2021
- Domaine Georges Roumier Chambolle-Musigny Les Cras 2010 June 25, 2021
- The DRC Richebourg 2010 and a contrasting RSV May 14, 2021
- Visit to Domaine Anne Gros – tasting the 2019s May 3, 2021
- Domaine Aladame 2019s February 5, 2021
- Domaine Arnaud et Sophie Vosne-Romanee Les Barreaux 2018 September 10, 2020
- Domaine Roulot – Tasting the 2021s; Forward to the Past!The 2021 vintage in many ways comes from an annus horribilis, especially if you are located in Côte de Beaune and make white wine. The spring frost in April struck hard and also somewhat randomly, leaving some vineyards denuded of fruit (Domaine Roulot lost 50% to the frost alone). Then came humid weather, with ...
- Two-Step PruningThe years 2016 and 2021 both suffered enormous damage from spring frosts, in Burgundy and elsewhere. This encouraged vignerons to begin seeking a lasting solution to the global warming-related spring-frost problem. Some have adapted their pruning schedules from winter to late in March, hence risking less frost damage. But there is also a more adaptable solution ...
- Domaine Michel Voarick: Corton-Charlemagne Out in the OpenIt’s rare to discover relatively unknown estates with large holdings of grand cru vines and, especially, white grand cru on the mighty Corton hill. My most recent find is Domaine Michel Voarick in Aloxe-Corton, an old estate, and somewhat atypical, as it has an interesting history in the village of Aloxe-Corton. The main interest here is ...
- Visit Up Above to Domaine de la Douaix – Tasting the 2021s“Gilles of Arcenant: There is something poetic about the beautiful hills of the Hautes Côtes and the wines of Gilles Moustie. They are slightly rustic, perhaps, but yes, also poetic.” This was the opening of my first article about Domaine de la Douaix, a special estate with some exceptional wines. As I wrote: “Gilles is a sturdy ...
- You Want the Truth? You Can’t Handle the Truth!I taste a lot of the best Burgundies available, and while I avoid most of the worst producers and the worst wines, I still taste some truly awful, sloppy stuff. Some producers happily ignore problems with their wines, while simultaneously neglecting quality issues related to excessive production. I am not here to make enemies. However, I have ...
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.