The Chassagne Montrachet Blanchot-Dessus is another of the top 1.crus from Jean-Noël Gagnard. Blanchot-Dessus is located next to the Grand Cru vineyards Le Montrachet and Criots Batard-Montrachet. It’s a tiny and relatively unknown vineyard, but with a Grand cru footprint. In the boquet a touch of oak, delicate quite intense fruit and mineral notes – citrus, grapefruit, white peach – with hints of acacia. On the palate very focused with a very strong and mineralic backbone. It’s quite tightly knit, with a powerfull finish. The wine is structured like a Grand Cru, but it really needs time to unfold more of the complexity found in Les Cailleret. While it has some of the power of the neighbouring Grand cru’s, Les Cailleret is more refined and nuanced – thus also slightly better in my view. But if you are looking for Grand Cru power – the Blanchot-Dessus is a fine choice.
Tasting Notes for this producer
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Blanchots-Dessus 2012 July 12, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Masures 2012 July 11, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chaumes 2012 July 9, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chenevottes 2012 June 26, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chaumees 2012 June 23, 2014
- Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Caillerets 2012 June 20, 2014
- Jean-Noel Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chenevottes 2010 August 16, 2012
- Jean-Noel Gagnard, Chassagne Morgeot 1er cru 2008 July 23, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Champs-Gain 2010 May 21, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Clos de la Maltroye 2010 May 19, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chaumees 2010 May 16, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chenevottes 2010 May 16, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Blanchot-Dessus 2010 May 12, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Les Caillerets 2010 May 11, 2012
- Jean-Noël Gagnard, Chassagne Les Chaumes 2010 May 10, 2012
- Clos Saint-Jean … the red Grand Cru of Chassagne-Montrachet? I have always enjoyed a good glass of red Chassagne as they often offer a very lively and vibrant expression of pinot noir. Often have I been drinking these wines for mere pleasure and without analyzing the wines and taking a closer look at why I adore these somewhat overlooked beauties. Chassagne-Montrachet Clos Saint-Jean – Photo: Google ...
- Collins Corner #2 – the forgotten Santenay This weeks article from C. Robert Collins is about another of the overlooked but great reds of Cote de Beaune: “When history jumps up – the forgotten Santenay” The search for great wine vineyards can involve studying maps or researching list of owners of famous crus, or sometimes a wine just jumps up and grabs your attention ...
- Once Mont Rachet now Blanchot .. the unknown neighbour! The vineyard Blanchot Dessus is located just south of Le Montrachet – the Chassagne part of the legendary Grand Cru Montrachet. Blanchots Dessus seen from south Blanchot Dessus is a small and relatively unknown vineyard with few owners – somewhat overlooked compared to its more famours nighbours Montrachet and Criots-Batard Montrachet. But what is the history of this ...
- Visit at Jean-Nöel Gagnard – tasting of the 2012 vintage Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard holds a special place in the Winehog history, as this was the first Domaine I visited as a official blogger – about two years ago. And what can I say ?… good to be back!. The style of Domaine Jean-Nöel Gagnard A bit about the style at Jean-Nöel Gagnard. In my view the wines ...
- One year with the WineHog Time really flies … and it’s now exactly one year since I launched WineHog.org in Juliy 2011. During this year I realized that blogging about fine wine is quite a lot of hard work, but fortunately also very rewarding and a lot of fun. I have tasted a lot of good wines during the first year, ...
- Domaine Jean-Noël Gagnard – profile As you might know I’m a big admirer of wines with a strong expression of the terroir. It was therefore a great pleasure to visit Jean-Noël Gagnard in Chassagne on my May 2012 trip to Burgundy. Jean-Noël Gagnard is one of the most exiting domaines in Chassagne Montrachet, as they are producing the wines according organic ...
- WineHog rating system – more than points My aim with the Winehog is unchanged, but I have for some time wanted a stronger focus on the hedonistic pleasure and simple enjoyment of drinking Burgundies. I have therefore adjusted my mission statement: “My mission is to help readers find more joy and hedonistic pleasure in Burgundy wines; to help them understand the terroirs and ...